Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quite the coolest doohickey ever!

Options
  • 04-03-2006 12:35pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Yup, to a retro loving fiend such as myself this purchase I made last week and which was delivered on Wednesday is quite the altogether!

It's a Vecflash,
    A Vecflash you say?
    Yes a Vecflash made by a guy called Richard Hutchinson it is a Vectrex Cartridge consisting of 16 banks of 32kb memory.
    You load it with a game bin file per slot via the supplied serial cable and bang zoom you have an easily updatable vectrex multicart, sweet!

I currently have every official game loaded plus a ton of newer stuff made since the machines demise in '83 or thereabouts.

Honestly, I don't know how many of you folk out there are lucky enough to own one of these wonderful machines but if you do get onto t his guy and he will send you one for €60 including p&p.

you wil find him at www.vectrex.biz, he also does a whole bunch of other things like the vectrex lightpen and 3D goggles, my next purchases I reckon!

There are Colecovision and Atari equivalents out there too so must try to hunt them down also.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kinda worried about you guys, I mean, y'all know what a vectrex is, right?
    Only the greatest console to emerge from the rubble of the videocrash of the early 80's.
    It was/is a vector graphic based console with a built in 9" Vector monitor allowing "Arcade quality graphics in your own home".
    Lovely stuff, sweet as a nut, had it imported, from the Isle of Man!
    I mean, you guys know a thing or two about retro consoles, you must be familiar with it.
    Or is it just me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is Fifa on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Looks... eh.. good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

hmmm, this or Oblivion....
    No competition, once I'm finished GRAW, €60 on Oblivion for sure!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll stick to my Saturn, Megadrive and Snes. Was never really fond of the 8-bit era except the japanese machines. There were very few real classics released and a lot of other games have aged badly. That said, impossible mission ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Man, i remember the ads for vectrex when i was a kid, the price at the time was prohibitive tho , but i always wanted one, you a lucky man cider

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Vectrex was 16bit according to the Edge article from back in '03.
    As for the software, the vector nature of the screen makes the graphics kinda timeless, emulation just doesn't do it any justice.
    As for ones misgivings about the 8bit era, think you are being a bit hard, but then maybe my experiences are similarly coloured having got my first ZXSpectrum back in 84, plenty of great software and some of it still plays well to this day, Elite, Mercenary, Stunt Car Racer, Batman, HeadOverHeels, 3D Starstrike, Starion, Uridium, Quazatron, Academy, all great titles and still worth a go now.
    I am not suggesting that you will play them exclusively in preference to your newer consoles, but I liken it rather to Xbox Live Arcade, where during a break from killing/racing gorgeous polygons doing things gorgeously you can take a break and blow crap up in Geometry Wars, which is maybe the closest analogue to playing a vectrex, although the Vectrex is in black and white, at least if you don't have any overlays!
    I am currently playing and Asteroids clone called Rockaroids and a Missile Command clone called Patriots3, very nice indeed, still see 30 mins vanish while playing these.
    Perhaps if we ever have a retro gaming convention here I could bring it along and show the world the glory that is Vectrex!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The Vec also had analogue sticks too! I remember playing it well.....ahhhh things were better in t' old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Hey CiDerMan - we're old foggies, where Retro (and games) is concerned, I'd have thought you would have realised that by now :D

I had one for a short time (in my 'retro' period, 'bout 3 years ago - another one of those "must-haves", along with Ninty's VR console, a portable CDi, etc, etc. Now all gone to eBay Heaven a long time back :D ).

I had sourced it in Belgium, an absolute minter, looked just fresh out-the-box, with good speaker and good firm analogue stick (others I'd sen at the time were quite 'mushy'). But I never played a better game on it than the built-in asteroids clone , though :)

Advertisement