Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Interior a priority..

Options
  • 04-03-2006 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

As each day passes, my 98' car (2500 2 years ago and its still battling) is throwing out more rattles and noises.

Im thinking when the SSIAs come out, there'll be plenty of second hand cars going for good prices.

Heres the thing though (Im bowing my head in shame)... My priority is more about how comfy and cool the interior is. I spend more time sitting in the car than I do looking at it so theres the reason!

I'd probably have about 6500 to spend (4500 + 2000 for my own)...
    Im scouring carzone.ie at the moment, but Id love to know if anyone here knows what model to aim for. 6500 budget.. CD player, Decent dashboard, Comfortable, Radio controls on the steering wheel etc. (My 98' Punto has all of the above!).

I like the Skoda Fabia but the interior is a bit like a Lada even though the rest is a Volkswagen!

Shock horror .. the best Ive seen so far (bearing in mind Im a 25 year old fella).. is a ... YARIS! Id look like an off duty nun but Id be well comfy inside the car and it has a decent little engine too.

Any criticisms.. tips .. comments? (Apart from dont get a yaris ya big girl).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaris is a good sound buy, unfortunately steering wheel audio controls weren't availible until 2004 when they appeared on the Yaris "Blue" special edition, In 2005 they were also on the Yaris Strata. As far as I remember, no other Yaris had them.

Interiors are robust and should stay rattle free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The Yaris is a push on the budget though.. Id only get a 99 or a 00 for 6500. Anything newer than that would have massive milage.

Any other ideas? Daewoo Kalos?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

MKIV Golf, Comfortline model

Something like this?? Not a bad idea! I'd like to try and get up a few years if possible though.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=373862

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

GaRtH_V wrote:
    MKIV Golf, Comfortline model

Avoid the 1.4 however. It's an absolute sloth.

• Advertisement

I really only do city driving so Im more concerned about being comfortable than having a big engine that'll never be used.

Thats why a 1ltr Yaris was a possibility. The new Nissan Micra is really nice inside. The steering wheel is grippy and the steering itself is really light. Its nippy too. Its a pity the brakes are either fully on or fully off.. putting you through the windscreen every time you see a red light.. oh and the fact that it looks like a old micra that got pregnant isnt a plus either.

Besides.. I wont get much of a new nissan for 6500.

Seat Ibiza 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Audi A4, you'd be nicely up in the years for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Bmw???

I only need something small. The majority of my driving is city based.. so anything from a yaris/polo up to a fabia or stilo.

Anything bigger than 1.2 (1.4 at a push) is out because of insurance and petrol.

Id gladly take a 1 ltr yaris, except Id be stuck a bit with my budget at 6500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The Ford focus has radio controls and a nice dash, can be bought for the money of which you speak. The dash isnt made of the spongey VW stuff, but they dont squeak or rattle, and the radios are decent.

A secondhand Octavia 1.4 might also be an option and you could get a nice 1.4 for that money; I dont think they sell as well as the TDIs and there are a good few around.

I may be shot for suggesting this......

Fiat Stilo 3 Door, excellent interior (apart from not having anywhere for your left foot) loads of equipment,

stilo-painel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What about a Corsa. The low spec ones are terrible inside but get a top spec model and you're laughin.

The Yaris is great. I was lookin at a 99 one for more than a 00 Corsa and a 00 Fiesta. Wanted it but just couldn't go 2 €5500

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm going to give my usual Renault recommendation here. If you're after nice seats then the old model Megane RXi or Dynamique models have some of the best in any car. Bucket seats that hold you in place yet are very hard wearing and comfy. Dash on the old Megane is looking a bit dated and silly now (too curvy) still it's well made and doesn't rattle. The car is well equipped with ABS, aircon, remote stereo controls, CD, e/m, front e/w, alloys, front fogs etc. The ride comfort is very good and the 1.4 16v engine gives great economy and is one of the most powerful in its class (much better than say a 1.4 Golf) There's one here but carzone prices are unrealistic so you'd get one cheaper.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=333289

have to disagree about the Megane, especially the seats, any ones I've driven (quite a few) have lots of movement in the seat. and a good number had squeaks and rattles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well we'll agree to disagree. I bet i've owned and driven more Meganes than you and have never felt inordinate play in a seat or heard a dash rattle :) The worst one I drove was a shagged garage car with 200k on it, interior was grand but the suspension and steering were slop.

maybe you've been lucky and I've been unlucky. Traded in Scenic's, Classic's and Hatchbacks, and pretty much all the interiors were like that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have found Toyota seats to be prone to breaking, well in saying that I have 184,000mls on the clock and the seat base started to give way at 178,000 ml .
    I always found the Renault seats super comfortable I wouldn't buy a renault but I find them comfortable :)

What sort of Toyota do you have CJ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Landcruiser KZJ90

Advertisement