Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting my rented accommodation off the cuff

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't see this going anywhere constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Victor wrote:
    I don't see this going anywhere constructive.
    Me too....I made my visit, no problems...you can close if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Calina wrote:
    He should give reasonable notice of his intention to call. In my book, two hours "I'm just calling by to tell you I am coming to see you in two hours" on a Sunday morning is not reasonable. If my landlord tried that, I'm sorry, that would be the end of things. Don't care how much he wanted to renew the agreement, I think I'd be moving.
    I make a point of calling to my property irregularly becasue of tenants behaviour. I will tell somebody I will come back later if they would prefer but if they don't keep the place clean it is obvious regardless of when I call in. No tenant has ever moved out asa result. It may be a factor but many long term renters have no idea of how to maintain things like keeping a cooker clean.

I know I am not renting to the top of the market. Tenants should feel comfortable with you about and if they get mad just beacuse you are about I don't want them in the property. There is responsibity on both sides and if a tenant doesn't like you being in the property then they have the problem. I am not going to root around the house I should be welcomed in.

Just to close this out, my original post was probably taken out of context...I was never going to ENTER the property with the tenant not being there. I phrased it wrong....I meant to call in when she wasn't aware of my visit.

I just wanted to see what peoples opinions were if I was to call without her knowing I was coming even if I tried to make contact. I was in the area, so it was basically a courtesy call...

She wasn't there, I left a note, I left, her mother found the note half an hour later, passed it to her, she called me, we had a chat, I went home.

For people to imply I'm a creepy landlord, i take offence to...I am happily married with 2 kids and have no intentions on creeping around my rented property to get a thrill.....GROW UP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

No-one was accusing you of wanting to enter the property when the tenant wasn't there, it was questioning the appropriateness of calling to the property and expecting to be admitted either immediately or within two hours.

It's important for tenants reading this thread to understand that what Morningstar describes is straddling the borderline of legality and if they have a landlord who treats them like this they would be on strong grounds to challenge the landlord through the courts if necessary. If a landlord enters without permission (not saying MStar is) remember that this is trespass.

Tenants are tenants and not serfs. It's only through tenants understanding and enforcing their rights that we will get professional landlord behaviour.

(edited) I should add that 24 hours would be a period I would consider "reasonable" notice considering legislation in other jurisdictions. I'm not aware that this timeline however has ever been legislated for in Ireland.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote:
    (edited) I should add that 24 hours would be a period I would consider "reasonable" notice considering legislation in other jurisdictions. I'm not aware that this timeline however has ever been legislated for in Ireland.
    Considering the property is about 2hrs away and I'm never anywhere near it and I tried to get in touch, it would have been another while I would have been there.
    Plus she was having difficulty with the alarm so she asked next time I was down to drop in and show her how to work it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

hmmm wrote:
    It's important for tenants reading this thread to understand that what Morningstar describes is straddling the borderline of legality and if they have a landlord who treats them like this they would be on strong grounds to challenge the landlord through the courts if necessary. If a landlord enters without permission (not saying MStar is) remember that this is trespass.

It is actually really important to understand I have suggest nothing illegal or near it. I treat my tenants like grown adults. I own the property if I am not about I can't fix things, address small problems or be aware of other property concerns such as neighbours. If as a tenant you can't handle having another adult about I think you better avoid renting. You have no grounds to bring a landlord to court for being at your door.
    AS a tenant you have responsibilities too. The landlord is human and does not want any hassle. People here generally assume a landlord is actively trying to do things to annoy tenants. Most tenants have no idea how to manage a household or care for property so have short fuses about things. I learnt a long time ago to tell tenants I'll pay them to get the plumber in a day that fixes the job right. I have never paid a single one. It normally lets them understand the reality of getting things done. I don't drag my heals yet tenants think you can do things instantly but I'll let you know we don't have magic powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It is actually really important to understand I have suggest nothing illegal or near it. I treat my tenants like grown adults. I own the property if I am not about I can't fix things, address small problems or be aware of other property concerns such as neighbours. If as a tenant you can't handle having another adult about I think you better avoid renting. You have no grounds to bring a landlord to court for being at your door.
    There's no point trying to discuss this, you have your way of doing things and I'm just telling you what the law is. I've no doubt you probably are a decent landlord, but when you rent a property you effectively have no more rights of entry to that property than does a stranger off the street (except for emergencies and "reasonable notice").

There's a lot of amateur landlords in Ireland who are too nervous about their properties and think they have rights which don't exist - this is restricting the creation of proper tenant/landlord relationships like exist in other countries. Luckily for the past number of years I've had a professional landlord who knows the score, but I've had plenty of bad experiences - in particular I remember once coming home to find a relative of the landlady drinking tea in the kitchen after letting himself in to paint the back of the house. That cost our landlady a couple of weeks rent and a lot of grovelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I treat my tenants like grown adults.

does not really tie in well with
    I make a point of calling to my property irregularly becasue of tenants behaviour.
    hmmm wrote:
    There's a lot of amateur landlords in Ireland who are too nervous about their properties and think they have rights which don't exist - this is restricting the creation of proper tenant/landlord relationships like exist in other countries.

This has been my experience too. There's something seriously wrong if I have to wind up getting legal advice because my landlord can't read the lease he signed properly.

Advertisement