Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Mac laptop... Want to be able to plug home ntl broadband into it, and use it!

• 04-03-2006 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

hey folks,

descriptive title eh :p

As it says really...! I got a new iBook yesterday and I want to be able to hook it up to the broadband at home.

I go into the Network Setup Assistant and it sees if the ISP will let me connect automatically or something like that (which it doesn't) -- then it goes onto a page asking for...

IP Address
    Subnet Mask
    Router Address
    DNS Hosts

I don't know where to find that on the PC that currently uses the broadband, so I guess if someone could post that, that'd be a good start!

I don't know if these are details that are the same for every ntl connection, or if they're computer-specific, so if they're general things then where can I find them?

I haven't rang up customer support yet cos it's a bit awkward dragging the laptop into the phone, and it has to be unplugged, and then I have to plug it into the internet, etc etc., so I'm just trying myself first, and I'll ring them if I fail... again :o

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

are you trying to connect directly with Ethernet or to the router with Airport Express?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm plugging it in with Ethernet. Is Airport Express wireless internet? Cos I presume that's what I'll be using in college... :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'm plugging it in with Ethernet. Is Airport Express wireless internet? Cos I presume that's what I'll be using in college... :)

A friend of mine got an ibook recently and it was only a matter of connecting it to the router - the ibook detected all the settings itself. Have you tried doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

dub45 wrote:
    A friend of mine got an ibook recently and it was only a matter of connecting it to the router - the ibook detected all the settings itself. Have you tried doing that?
    Check Apple Icon> Location> Automatic.

Check your location is set to Automatic. That should do it for you.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh, thanks alot folks! :D

I did try that, just plugging it in and selecting automatic, but it didn't work, so I just unplugged the box and restarted the computer, and hey presto!

Thanks a bunch :)

Now, to download FireFox :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement