Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

street map advice

Options
  • 04-03-2006 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭

I need a local streetmap for a website 'location' page, what is the best way to go about this?
    I could scan in that part of my dublin street map but I'm wary of the copyright notice.
    Google maps looks ott, and they reserve the right to advertise on it in future which rules it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Try drawing it in photoshop or illustrator? Doesn't have to be detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I have used map quest maps previously and just put a link back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Use freehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Thanks for the info, I use corel draw and already created an adequate one, but the professionally draughted ones look better. I could match the quality but that would take hours.

Mapquest is not bad at all (though at least 14 years out of date for my area) and I doubt they'd be happy if I managed to bypass their interface to send the user directly to a zoomed in map rather than having to send them to 'Dublin' and hope they zoom in correctly themselves. Only I know the area I wouldn't have found it, they should have a street search of their geodetic database. Also it doesn't allow me to highlight the premises as you can on google maps. An ad-free google map type facility resold through the hosting package would be good, a source of free up to date street maps would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Use the google maps API to embed a zoomed map on the page - it will also allow your users to zoom and and out and move around to get bearings / directions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Use the google maps API to embed a zoomed map on the page - it will also allow your users to zoom and and out and move around to get bearings / directions.
    Google maps is technologically ideal, but they advise that they reserve the right to post ads at a later date.
    The ads would no doubt be relevant to the page content, raising the probability of competitors ads showing up on the site.
    Maybe it could serve as an interim solution and if ads are employed take it off and find something else. It would be good if that something else were available now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

The OSI offers what you are looking for as a product (pdf document). It only costs a few euros, as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Scan the OSI map. Use that as a reference for making a new map in illustrator or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

democrates wrote:
    Maybe it could serve as an interim solution and if ads are employed take it off and find something else. It would be good if that something else were available now.
    You could use a map from the DTO Journey Planner. The backend is provided by mapflow.com and is used by myhome.ie.

I use Google Maps: http://bussched.sourceforge.net/gmaps/boards_soccer.html.

Advertisement