Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roverway 2006

• 04-03-2006 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Anyone doing Roverway? I am with the IGG group? Has anyone else heard about their routes yet, or getting worried?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Hey there! THe deadline for route applications was extended there - so thats why you probably havent heard anything as of yet!

We've applied for a few in milan so we'll see how it goes.

Neil

Ragazza, whats the story with the IGG crew that are heading to roverway? How many of there are you, how many from CGI as well?

I think there's about least 60 going from scouting ireland, probly more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Ragazza

We have one team of 15. lack of leaders:rolleyes:
    I have no idea about CGI. I will find out tho.
    Are you on a team?

Yep, most of the scouting ireland people are taking part within their own groups - we (the 35th dublin) have two teams in, as do a few other groups.

The SI head of contingent is Louis Mullee, must mail him latter and ask how many we have heading.

15? Is that the IGG total or just from one company(i think thats the term!)

Roverway should be a good laugh, reports from the last one were good and i was the only person from SI who took part in the World Rover Moot in taiwan - kind of Roverway for the world!

sadly, IGG total.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, i've just been told your down to 14 going now!

Well, aren't you in the know!!
    We only sent the e-mail at lunch time.:rolleyes:

My spies and informants are everywhere.......

Actually i know Sinead F from her days in scouts quite well. Well kinda well!!!!!!

I am team leader.
    They always come back to the girl guides.:)

Are you doing any kind of training for the heat?
    Or are you waiting for your route details?
    Or let me guess, the scouts are fit enough already?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well personally i feel i dont need to, I've survived the heat on the explorer belt in lithuania (28-20), was on the WSJ in thailand (35 in the shade) and australia, and was on the world moot in Taiwan in 2004 where the humidity was unreal. I've also been out at the world conference in tunisia (in tents for a bit of it) and was out in the UAE earlier in 2005!

Normall rules for heat apply, keep playtpus or equivlent hydration system full of water and ice if walking with a pack consume about 3 L water a day, if not more. Plenty of sun cream for those posessing the ginger gene or fair skin. I'm not to bad on that front, i return to a more natural colour in sunlight!

Oh and don't apply 100% deet mossie rep to burnt skin is another one i've been told!

And the rest of your team?

Well one of the lads has been on virtually the same events as me bar the moot, (Our youth advisor to the world scout committee) and is currently living in florence. The rest of them have been abroad once or twice to holland where it was hot enough!

In thailand i made sure there was bottled water bought out of the patrol budget... Well, I wasn;t quite as bad as the Sgt in Jarhead!!!! (forcing a patrol to line up and drink). Hydrate and Protect!

As far as i'm concerned theres not a huge amount of training that can be done for this kind of thing except ensuring your not unfit and the auld slip slop slap routine. Now if people are carrying packs and tents thats a different matter, but some of us are used to that:rolleyes:

The Roverway Forum is now online. http://forum.roverway.it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

neilled wrote:
    Roverway should be a good laugh, reports from the last one were good...QUOTE]

the one in 2003 WAS brilliant...went with the IGG group and we have the best fun

Advertisement