Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERL Course

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Does anyone know of any place in Dublin that offers a PERL (Or even PHP/mySQL) evening course?
    Also, does anyone have any experience of the FAS PERL course?
    (http://www.fas-netcollege.com/html/courses/programming/perlfunda/perlfunda.htm)

Thanks

I would say that as far as jobs are concerned PHP/MYSQL would be a better option than PERL. PERL is on the way out in my opinion.

You could teach yourself, thats what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

finnpark wrote:
    You could teach yourself, thats what I did.
    I taught myself too. And I found the transition to PHP really easy (and found myself pining for 'use strict' in PHP). I still prefer perl as I do a lot of command line scripting.
    finnpark wrote:
    I would say that as far as jobs are concerned PHP/MYSQL would be a better option than PERL. PERL is on the way out in my opinion.
    Ouch.
    Don't let Randal Schwartz, co-author of "Learning Perl", hear you predicting the downfall of perl.
    Aside, Randal also contributes on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perl-beginner/ (just make sure you've read the docs, searched the web and tried hard with your code before asking him a question - he's quite harsh).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

finnpark wrote:
    I mentioned your comment to Randal Schwartz and he replied :D
    Well, for simple web things, PHP is in fact a great lightning rod to keep the simpletons away from Perl. :)

Advertisement