Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Portable Accommodation

Options
  • 04-03-2006 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I've always thought it would be pretty cool to live on the road, with house prices being as bad as they, renting meaning your throwing your money into some landlords pocket this sounds like a good idea. All you'd need is a toilet/shower/cooker/fridge and it's also an idea that instead of using shelving space, just get 2 dishwashers (lazy mans way, never have to empty or fill it, just put the dirty ones into the empty one, put that on and when you use them, put them in the other one:p), a bed and a sofa, tv etc.

It would be so handy, you could just park sleep wherever you travelled to and go back when you like, if you want broadband you could drive around looking for an unsecure connection:p There are so many advantages, you could live abroad so easily too. Would be great!

Has anyone ever looked into this or has anyone ever done it? How much would a nice little porapad cost etc? It would be so much easier to save up for a proper house this way instead of renting for 10 years until you have enough for a deposit etc.

Any thoughts? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

cormie wrote:
    Has anyone ever looked into this or has anyone ever done it?

Yes, the travelling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Not the same thing, I'm not talking about setting up a halting site, I mean being constantly on the go!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ain't that simple ...

All those mod cons you mention need electricity.
    And there would be the smaller matter of water / wastewater (not to mention the "other" kind of waste)

Which means you need to be somewhere where all of the above can be got and disposed off. Kinda limits your "freedom":D

Plus, if you wanted to live in it permantly, you'd need a substantial vehicle ...something like a converted bus or truck. These aren't exactly cheap to keep on the road either.

Other than that ...just look here:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&buttonSelected=6

Still think houses are expensive??:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Yeah you need one of these babies....http://www.terrawind.com/terrawind.htm

Atwinterior3.jpg
    IMG_1721rearinterior.jpg

And wait for it.........
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Its amphibious too!!!!!!
    Pictures1%20102web.jpg

But alas these cost as much as a house, for what you're talking about DIY may be the cheapest way. Find an old coach in good nick and convert it. It is not unknown in other more advanced countries like NZ. Another way is a converted guiness barge.Waste isn't really a problem as you can dump tanks and refill with fresh water at campsites... plenty of OAPS spend their golden years touring the continent in motorhomes.A Generator takes care of the lecky.A second hand Georgie Boy or similar large US made RV bought from the UK or Europe (belgium is cheap) may be your best bet do your research and you'll find it is not as expensive as you might think to bring one in!!!Converting it to LPG or going the biodiesel route might be a good idea.
    Try www.vanomobil.com

Whoo look at that thing:D Set me back close to 1 million though:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If you don't need to be near Dublin then I'd say a houseboat/barge would be a better option, there is quite a large waterways network in Ireland.

People permanently living on boats isn't common here but in general you wouldn't have any problems with people unlike if you parked a motorhome/bus/car+caravan on the side of a road for a week.

If I was to do this, I wouldn't want to be restricted to Ireland so a barge isn't really an option, in fact, I could probably see myself spending most of the time outside Ireland. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

We bought a motorhome and there is absolutely everything you need in it. We spend as much time as possible travelling in it around ireland and europe. If we won the lotto we would get into it and take off!:D

Why would you need the lotto to do that though? Unless you have children to support through school etc, you could just live in the wild! lol.

Advertisement