Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vegan baking

• 04-03-2006 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I've been a vegetarian for two years now, and I've been thinking of going vegan for a while.
    I love baking, though, and I was wondering if any of you had advice on substitutes for eggs, milk and butter I could use which won't make the final product taste terrible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Cathy wrote:
    I've been a vegetarian for two years now, and I've been thinking of going vegan for a while.
    I love baking, though, and I was wondering if any of you had advice on substitutes for eggs, milk and butter I could use which won't make the final product taste terrible?

I bought this stuff a while back called Orgran No Egg (link) which as the name suggests is an egg replacement. I've not used it yet though so don't don't know what it's like. Alpro Soya milk says it can be used in cooking/baking on the carton, as does Pure spread. Again though, not tried it myself. All are free from milk/eggs and are suitable for vegans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

There's always stuff in health food shops. Non-dairy milk, cheese, butter. Egg replicators etc. Give them a try and see how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

I've had many a ridiculous pan cake disaster thanks to those egg replacers. They're good for other things just don't expect pan cakes/ommlettes! However, as always there was a vegan substitute, it just took me 6 years to find it;
    Arrowroot
    For all your vegan pancake needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

hey, being vegan will not stop you baking!! if you haven't been able to find egg replacer, or if you need a substitute in a hurry - mush up half a banana in the place of an egg and it'll do the trick. as already mentioned, pure spread works grand (i used it in biscuits earlier) and the soya milk, nice and cheap from tesco. there are plenty of vegan cook books out there to help you anyhow :)

Advertisement