Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant connect email clients to eircom mail

• 04-03-2006 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

(computer woes pt2)
    Having problems with connecting email clients on a computer to the eircom mail1.eircom.net.
    Problem seems to have started when someone installed cloudmark spam stopping sftware. Outlook express was being used at the time. Couldnt send or receive mail so uninstalled cloudmark software. problem still persisted.
    (attached pic of error)
    googling error says its either AV software scanning mails causing the problem or a large mail coming through causing the prob.
    read up on the cloudmark stuff, they said enabling a port on the firewall would do it so i did that (windows firewall) even though i uninstalled the cloudmark software. still no luck.
    turned off all av software, no luck
    Went into to email via webmail.eircom.net and deleted any large emails. no luck
    Deleted mail account and recreated it again, no luck.
    Thought maybe outlook was fecked so installed Thunderbird and set up the mail account there. Still no luck. Thunderbird coulndt connect either.

So i'm pretty much out of ideas. Anyone help??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Open a command prompt.
    telnet mail1.eircom.net 110
    If it is being blocked by security software you should get a message telling you so.

If it telnets fine on 110 try telnet mail1.eircom.net 25

If that works fine, then there is no reason why your mail clients shouldn't work as they are just graphical versions of telnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

no, telnet isnt working. diasabled firewall and tried to connect, still didnt work.
    went through the registry and deleted any reference i could find to cloudmark, still no use.

at a loss at to how to fix this atm

Enable POP and SMTP on the router. The netopias sometimes block these at random. Also make sure the firewall on the router is not set to high.

and how does one do this on the netopia router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No need. The netopia lets everything outgoing. Only need to setup router if you have your own Mail Server accessible from Ineternet (not smart unless you an ISP or very expert).

Make sure you have correct user name and password on Thunderbird OUTGOING server (It should ask for password on first attempt to send mail if you did everything right.)

IF running XP make sure in Start Run Services.msc that Firewall is disabled and stopped. No need with a netopia router.

Sending and recieving are completly separate unrelated processes.

Try getting receive working first. Make sure correct email user name and pop server name. Delete any password in Thunderbird Password manger, it will ask when you try to check email, tick box to save password.

telnet mail1.eircom.net 25

Should work unless something is very very sick. Won't work with certain kinds of proxy based firewalls which require a different command syntax. Linux / Unix uses a ":"(colon) instead of " " (space).

Does web browsing work on the same PC?
    Which ISP is it? Some ISPs recently block all POP3 and SMTP except to their own mail server (idiots that they are).

• Advertisement

must be very sick because i cant telnet to mail server on either port 25 or 110 :(

the dos window just goes blank, dont get the return msg at all

I worked in eircom net for over a year and I can tell you first hand that sometimes the netopia randomly block POP and SMTP.

Which router do you have (334x) and what firmware (It will either say software release or software version on the netopia interface.) is it?

Finally got it fixed, cheers.
    It was 3341 router. the last time i was trying to fix this i didnt know the i.p. address of the router and the eircom broadband support website was down, never thought of looking on boards :rolleyes:
    Anywho.. Turned out to be the firewall on the router (which i didnt know the 3341 had). turned it off and on again and hey presto!

Advertisement