Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite BB, Best deal

• 04-03-2006 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm sick to the teeth of dial up,

I need something that stays off the phone line so 2 way satellite is my only option(and before you ask theres no wired or wireless bb available in my area).

So whats the cheapest and best service, and where can i get cheap equipment from, as the quotes from the websites i've seen are in the thousands.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

djmarkus wrote:
    Hi,

I'm sick to the teeth of dial up,

I need something that stays off the phone line so 2 way satellite is my only option(and before you ask theres no wired or wireless bb available in my area).

So whats the cheapest and best service, and where can i get cheap equipment from, as the quotes from the websites i've seen are in the thousands.
    Any advice appreciated.

2 way satellite broadband is terribly expensive and I have never seen it costing less than €99 a month Digiweb offers a two-way service here and Mediasat also offers it too. Both Digiweb and Mediasat are €99 a month for a 512kbps download and 128kbps upload service. They are both Indigenous two-way satellite services based here in Ireland, but there a many more available from the UK and Europe. See here to see what is available in your particular area. Skydsl isn't listed but it is available all over Ireland. The government likes listing expensive providers so as to keep with their tradition of ripping every one off. :mad:

That is the two-way satellite systems covered by me. Now for a much cheaper and possibly better solution!

You need something that stays off the phone line so these are my suggestions:

Get one-way Satellite broadband from Skydsl it is the cheapest and fastest of the one-way Satellite providers I have came across myself. I use it on the Classic 2 Package costing €16.90 a month with a 1Gb download allowance included. If you intend to a lot of downloading you could get the Classic 3 unlimited package costing €29.90 with unlimited Download allowance subject to fair usage.

Then as that system requires you to dial-up.

Get Eircom Highspeed ISDN this costs €37.50 a month and includes your line rental. Line Rental currently is €24.18 a month so ISDN costs €13.32 extra a month. Then get yourself on a Flat rate Package either from Eircom at €29.99 for 150hrs anytime or BT at €26.99 for 180hrs anytime. This will give you roughly 6hrs of Dial-up a day each month without tying up your phone line providing you keep the ISDN switched to 64kbps single channel. If you switch it to 128kbps dual channel you are charged twice so your Eircom 150hrs would last only 75hrs and BTs would only last 90hrs and your phone line would also be engaged the same way it is when you dial-up now.

You could then have yourself "Broadband" (well more like glorified dial-up) but anyway for €73.21 a month this is if you went for the Skydsl Classic 3 (the most expensive of the 1mb packages), The ISDN to free-up the phoneline and Eircom's Flat-rate anytime 150. You could trim that back a bit by choosing different Dial-up and Skydsl Packages. This would give you almost the exact same thing as the two-way service. Without the Gargantuan Install & equipment fees associated with 2way satellite Broadband.

The only difference is if you were uploading a lot of data you would be uploading at 64kbps (on the ISDN Single channel) but if you needed to upload something big on rare occasions you could switch to dual channel ISDN say at Night-time when less people would be ringing. This would give you 128kbps upload exactly the same as the two-way satellite services. And anyway if you needed to upload during the day you could always divert the land line to a mobile and use the dual channel ISDN for uploading and take those calls on your mobile.

I know it seems a lot more complicated solution but it could save you over a grand as the Skydsl uses a bogstandard 80cms Satellite Dish and the most it would cost would be €300 if you had to get an installer to align the dish after buying it (you should be able to get the dish and required accessories for around €100) My advice would be before you go about doing anything is see if there is any attempts to get Broadband to your area through the community group broadband schemes.

Anyway hope this helps your situation! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If you want to file share, play games, use voice or video VOIP, run a VPN, or host a website then forget Satellite.The delay it tales the signal to get up to the sat and back to the ground makes it a limit product and a way more expensive one too.You can do more with an ISDN line than satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get ISDN

Use a PCI ISDN card, not external box.

Change to Tele2 for calls
    Sign up for 8.50 free evenings and weekends calls up to one hour (hang up and reconnect ans often as required)
    USe a geographic POP number for Internet not 189x number

Then evening and weekends are free.

Note that ISDN connects instantly

64 K on internal ISDN card is like speed of 80k on a an analog modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or really convince Eircom that your area is going to have a really good GBS. They will automagically enable the local exchange and as many lines as possiblle as geting ADSL revenue is better than nothing if they are going to lose all that lovely dialup to a GBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Hmm.. ISDN looks very good, installation is free did i hear that somewhere?

• Advertisement
Advertisement