Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crescent

• 04-03-2006 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

What is the significance of the crescent in Islam. I know it's a depiction of the crescent moon and it appears on some flags but other than that I don't know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

It was originally a symbol of the Byzantine Empire.

While the Crescent was never used by Muhammed or his followers, as they were against Holy Symbols generally, it has now become synonymous with Islam, and is seen to represent the brotherhood of the religion's followers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for the reply. I was vaguely aware of the general "no symbols" idea, that's what made me curious. The Red Cross / Red Crescent usage springs to mind. It seesm to be used in some places where a christian would use a cross.

Advertisement