Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable NAT?

• 04-03-2006 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,does anyone know how to disable NAT on smarts router or on any router,i dont even know wot NAT Is but i have to do it for online gaming,also how do i disable the firewall on smarts router?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It won't work then. You need to setup port forwarding to the IP of the PC that is gaming.

Seriously you don't want to disable Firewall either and end up as a Spam Zombie. Port forwarding is the proper way to do it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This site may help you - www.portforward.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Or if you really want to, then just do a search for DMZ mode and go for that with 1 IP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

persian wrote:
    Hi,does anyone know how to disable NAT on smarts router or on any router,i dont even know wot NAT Is but i have to do it for online gaming,also how do i disable the firewall on smarts router?
    I'd leave NAT on, UPnP should sort it out, and you can always use Port Forwarding on as said. As for the firewall, I'd switch it off - just make sure you have commercial software such as Norton, McAfee or AVG etc. though. Otherwise, if you choose to leave on the firewall, then you will need to open each port individually for each program that you want to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

persian wrote:

NAT = Network Address Translation , and you need it if you have one or more private machines routing their traffic out to the internet, disable it and you will loose the internet, simple as.

the only reason you would disable it would be if you were bridging your router directly to your pc (not a good idea really) or you had been assigned a block of static "real world" internet ip addresses and this is not going to happen on a home broadband connection.

so leave it well enuf alone :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement