Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most under-rated wrestler?

• 04-03-2006 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

I'm not talking about someone like Mr. Perfect or Ted DiBiasie who were very good wrestlers but never got their run at the belt.

I mean someone who you thought was a bad/ok worker but looking back was actually not as bad as you thought or in retrospect was really good. I hope that made sense.

For me after looking at the Bret dvd, I'd go with Jim Neidhart. That guy in the mid to late 80's was alot better than I ever thought he was.
    Another guy that comes to my mind is Bam Bam Bigelow. As a kid I never appreciated how really really good he was as a big guy. Some of the things he did in the ring I just took for granted way too easily.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Bam Bam is a good one. Man, he could fairly move for a lad of his size :) Didnt he have some somersault moves of some sort, or am i dreaming? Virgil was a pretty good technical wrestler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Taka. I never really appreciated him but I was just watching a tape of Wrestlemania 14 I have and he had an awesome match with Agulia (a masked Essa Rios). This was at the time that the WWF had a light heavy weight belt and there was practically no crusier weight wrestlers in the company. I'm left pondering why the WWE didn't ditch Funaki and keep Taka, he would be able to have some really good matches with some of the cruiser weights that are around these days.

Maybe this one dosen't really count but, looking back on the new age outlaws (and Billy Gunn specifically) it really makes you appreciate what a good tag team is in light of the garbage that is around now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

You under appreciated Billy Gun?! I think I over appreciated him back in the day.

I think Billy Gun was the only wrestler Benoit could n't get a good match out of. Do any of you remember Armagedeon 2000 when Billy nearly killed Benoit on quite a number of occassions in the match?

But I take your point. As a tag team they had a great chemistry and were insanely over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

You under appreciated Billy Gun?! I think I over appreciated him back in the day.

I think Billy Gun was the only wrestler Benoit could n't get a good match out of. Do any of you remember Armagedeon 2000 when Billy nearly killed Benoit on quite a number of occassions in the match?

But I take your point. As a tag team they had a great chemistry and were insanely over.

Sorry, I mustn't have put it rigth, I wasn't referring to Gunn as a singles wrestler, but his part in the tagteam. I guees you can say that I did under appreciate them, but I guess I took for granted what the standard is for a good tag team because there is nothing like them these days. I marked out, and still would if I heard that guitar rif with the Road Dogg bellowing "Oh you didn't know!?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Bam Bam Bigelow was under rated and under appreciated in my view.The guys character was awesome and very credible.His music,his look,his moves were great.

Another wrestler is Steve Blackman.His skills and character were again great but he never received a big push,only in the hardcore division.He would have made a great IC champion in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

steven (william) regal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Yes i was just about to say steve blackman, what happend to him anyway?
    He had a great streetfight with ken shamrock once, havent seen a match like it in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ONI

SHANE O'MAC if he only wrestled full time everyone of his matches(mainly gimmicks matches) were extremely enjoyable and always well paced

Real wrestler would be Jody Fiesch how he hasn't been picked up by the big two is beyond believe .Showed his talents in Ring Of Honour to prove he could compete in the american style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭the sunbabe wan

blackbelt wrote:

Another wrestler is Steve Blackman.His skills and character were again great but he never received a big push,only in the hardcore division.He would have made a great IC champion in my book.

well theres a blast from the past :D i enjoyed steve blackman wrestling :D

and al snow is another guy... what ever happened to him???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

wasnt al snow called Leif Cassidy in the WWE?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ff101

al snow was leif cassidy for a while, but that was a terrible tagteam. he's opened his own wrestling school and is working with wwe with performers under development deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Al Snow was one of my all time favourites. I loved the whole Mankind's book in the bin storyline. Plus a lot of ECW matches are fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ONI

does any1 remember AVATOR Al Snows power rangers character it was so crap it was dumped after 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

nope. what did do that was so bad?

Another very under-rated wreslter was Dlo-brown. Was the first European and IC and the same time and was a great wrestler imo. was used in "the nation" kinda but really went down hill after that.

Jeff Jarret was also under used in the WWE. And although leaving WWE seems to have been a great move for him, to me he'll never be much more than mid-card guy.

Also a more recent under rated wretler is Christian. I really could have seen him a main eventer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I really thought Steve Blackman was great. Anyone know where he is or what he's doing.

Another person who didn't get enough credit(until after his death) was Crash Holly. I thought he was a great hardcore wrestler and he used the 24/7 rule really well and always watched his back(except that time he paid the APA to protect him and in the middle of their match, Crash was asleep in the APA's "office" and someone, cant remember who, got a ref in and just tapped him on the chest and won,:D ) Crash was woken up though and won it back straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

It was Pat Patterson. I loved the one where he was running around in the adventure park with the slides and stuff with other wrestlers chasing him.
    I wouldn't say Crash was under-rated but he was in general cause WWE don't know what to do with light-weights (even though he said he weighed 400lbs :D) period.

R.I.P Crash Holly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I thought Crash Holly did well in his run and was very entertaining. He was one of the few lightweight guys that they did somthing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭the sunbabe wan

I thought Crash Holly did well in his run and was very entertaining. He was one of the few lightweight guys that they did somthing with.

yeah, he was funny...:p

and i think it was raven who pinned him while he was asleep

rip crash holly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

andyman wrote:
    I really thought Steve Blackman was great. Anyone know where he is or what he's doing.

He was very sick for a while and lost alot of weight. Last I heard, Ken Shamrock was training with him before his fight against Kimo back in UFC 48. Blackman had legit skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

julep wrote:
    steven (william) regal.

Agreed.

ONI wrote:

Real wrestler would be Jody Fiesch how he hasn't been picked up by the big two is beyond believe .Showed his talents in Ring Of Honour to prove he could compete in the american style

Jody took a two year hiatus after his spell in ROH in 2003. I was lucky enough to witness his retun at the IWW show in the SFX last March (jesus thats a year ago..). He put on a great match with his running buddy Johnny Storm, M Dogg 20 and Red Vinny. That would have been a show stealer had it not have been for Styles vs. Daniels!!
    Im suprised Jody hasnt been back in ROH yet, he suits that product so well. He would also work well in the X Division too, but not WWE.

As far as underrater wrestlers go, look no further than 3 ROH legends turned Velocity regulars, Paul London, Brian Kendrick and Jamie Noble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I havnt seen much of him but whenever I do I wonder why he hasnt been signed up. Bryan Danielson. Saw an absolute amazing match with him the other day against Aries. A real professor in the ring. Dont know enough about him to call him underrated or not but Im just suprised he hasnt been snapped up.

Brow wrote:
    I havnt seen much of him but whenever I do I wonder why he hasnt been signed up. Bryan Danielson. Saw an absolute amazing match with him the other day against Aries. A real professor in the ring. Dont know enough about him to call him underrated or not but Im just suprised he hasnt been snapped up.
    Danielson is the current Ring of Honor champion and his whole "gimmick" right now is that the ROH title represents wrestling freedom. He is constantly chipping away at "coroprate America" (TNA and WWE) so I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon. He is still young, around 25, so maybe when he gets married and all that and he needs money he might jump ship. That having been said, he isn't the most marketable of wrestlers, charisma certainly isn't his middle name, so I can't really see WWE going for him, although he was trained by William Regal and Shawn Michaels.
    Who knows what the future holds, but for now I can see him staying as the king of the indies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Danielson had a good few matches on Velocity back around 2 or 3 years ago, and apparently they wanted to sign him, but only if he got a bit of a tan and got a bit bigger. Regal has said recently that he's told Danielson not to sign for WWE yet, that he should travel the world and learn as much as he can, then he'd be in a much better position to make an impact in WWE in the future

I didnt know Danielson worked on Velocity. And he hasn't gotten that tan yet so he must not be in a rush.
    Anyway back to the topic, under rated wrestlers. Claudio Castagnoli!! HEY!!!

bump
    Alex Shelley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nes303

Dustin Rhodes
    Barry Windham
    Dan Spivey
    Dean Malenko
    Arn Anderson
    Doctor Death
    Virgil
    Marty Janetty