Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why doesm't boards use Google Adsense?

Options
  • 04-03-2006 8:58pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

more money?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Instead of the ****ty adds it is using now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

me confused now with reversed posts :D

Maybe boards dont use them because maybe it feels too advertised and they rather flashy ads.
    they use them on boards.us however

more money?

I don't know about that, i'd say adsense would make more :confused:

Sparky-s wrote:
    me confused now with reversed posts :D

Maybe boards dont use them because maybe it feels too advertised and they rather flashy ads.
    they use them on boards.us however

Ye WTF happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ye WTF happened?
    Pixie Ninja Pirates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

like the title to the police album....

ghosts in the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

like the title to the police album....
    Outlandos D'Amour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Internet forums get terrible click-through rates. Anyone care to suggest why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Click archive at the bottom of the page.

Zaph0d wrote:
    Internet forums get terrible click-through rates. Anyone care to suggest why?

because i hear everyone on boards saying that the current adds are whats causing the speed problem

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I believe I posted to explain that I met with the ad company and we are taking over the ad server hosting to improve the speed issue that a seemingly small number of users are having. I've never experienced it myself but *shrug*.

I'd appreciate it if you could be a little patient about it and also to tone your language down too.

We don't use adsense because we tried it and its bad bad bad for us. We made a pittance from it and there are technical concerns too.

They only pay per click-through which zeros the "brand exposure" value and the marketeers get that from us for free as a result. In all, not a great solution for a general, broad-based forum site.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Do you not get paid for page views with google ads? I know nothing about it, just wondering. Surely if it was 1 cent per page view, or less, that'd be a money spinner, again, I know nothing about this :)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Nope google do it by click through, Also there was a nasty habbit of "Unsuitable" ads being displayed that really had no place being on an ad banner here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Google AdSense is notoriously bad on forums.

AFAIK Stephen, uses google ads on www.feckoff.net and he gets paid for page views :) It's really wierd, we were only talking about this a couple of days ago!

Some ads do pay on a CPM basis (views) but you'll make very little money that way. The money is in CPC (clicks).

Yes, but with such a large amount of views.....

John

DeVore wrote:
    I believe I posted to explain that I met with the ad company and we are taking over the ad server hosting to improve the speed issue that a seemingly small number of users are having. I've never experienced it myself but *shrug*.

I'd appreciate it if you could be a little patient about it and also to tone your language down too.

We don't use adsense because we tried it and its bad bad bad for us. We made a pittance from it and there are technical concerns too.

They only pay per click-through which zeros the "brand exposure" value and the marketeers get that from us for free as a result. In all, not a great solution for a general, broad-based forum site.

DeV.

Yes but with adsense you get paid pretty well when people click the adds, with a forum like this where people appreciate it they will click the odd add once a day or so just to help out, well i know i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

You can't ask users to click. Google will cancel your account over click fraud.

damien.m wrote:

And quite right too.

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:

There will be no "asking members to click" people who know how it works will click adds just to help

I am a member at a different board and most of the people who visit frequently click adds because they know it helps

I am a member at a different board and most of the people who visit frequently click adds because they know it helps

There you go then; Google is rather good at detecting that sort of thing.

rsynnott wrote:
    There you go then; Google is rather good at detecting that sort of thing.

Yes but people aren't asked to click, they just do because they know it helps.

Advertisement