Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP.Net v Java

Options
  • 04-03-2006 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Howdy Ho,

Working on a lil project to keep myself entertained and away from stupid priced alcohol :)

Anyways... it's a web application that will pull information from different places but primarily a database. Anyone know of a light weight java framework that would compete with .Net for this. May be wrong but I get the impression a jsp / servlet approach would be too much for what I'm doing (essentially just pulling data as I said)

I hear spring is meant to be light weight but no idea :)

anyhooo's any recomendations would be great thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

Why only Java based.
    Why not something like PHP's smarty templating engine.
    It allows you complete seperation into MVC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Eh, still not convinced about php never have been. It's nice and light weight... as I said my original idea is plain and simple but its going to be expanded on in various ways :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh if it's just a quick simple lightweight thing then .Net is probably the easiest. I'll admit I've never done any PHP or JSP, but when it comes to throwing a small project together quickly and easily most people accept that ASP.Net is king. Things get a little more complicated when it comes to larger projects, but for small and quick stuff .Net rules, at least in development terms, when it comes to hosting it's a little more restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i dunno i'd disupute that about php, but then i primarily program in C/C++/php and they do fit rather nicely together. If your just pulling data from a few places, php has mysql support and you could use curl to pull stuff from other sites handy enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

ASP.NET ftw

I know alot of Visual Basic and a good bit of C#, but I know no php apart from the <?php echo "Hello World" ?> command :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Why not try JSF in J2EE. I know it's really servlets/jsp, but it's all hidden, and it looks like simple web pages with extra tags, so it's pretty simple. Of course, it all depends on the tooling you have available: IBM's RAD, Sun's JavaStudio (not netBeans), etc. all make it very simple indeed.

If you want to go the Spring/Hibernate way, have a look at the book "POJOs in Action" - that shows how to use simple artefacts to create really sophisticated solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

How do you mean 'To Much'. What ever you are comfortable with then use. PHP is more than enough for 90% of projects and we could argue the JSP/ASP route till we're blue in the face but at the end of the day its whatever is easiest for you to you to use and gets the job done is the technology to use. There is no overkill or underkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

They both have their merits and de-merits argueing a best with no outline of what ur looking for.

e.g Javas infinate liburary of stuff ull never use
    Asp bein a pain in the ass to deploy
    Java also being a medium pain in the ass to deploy

Learning curve if u know jave the java if u know .Net then .Net
    Dev time and Design (.net quicker at higher level java better with lower level)

So who would win in a fair fight a chuck norris or jackie chan ????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I wouldnt really say Java is a lower level then .Net, they both seem like very high level languages. Went with .Net in the end... Visual studio just makes it so quick and easy.

PHP is ok , no more no less :) Designed for the web only it doesnt offer the full functionality straight away that I intend on using once I get the ball roleing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Good choice imo. .Net is almost unrivaled at the moment for RAD, database access, caching, deployment ease and so on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement