Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal Once Again!

Options
  • 04-03-2006 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Those of you that have been paying attention (and God help you) will have noted that myself and Psi don't get along.

I would argue that the reason we don't get along is that Psi is an awful hypocritical moderator who feels that his/her (still not sure on that) personal vision of the forum is more important than anything else.

For example, crap like this is a fine contribution to the forum, but I contribute nothing of worth apparently... Aside from the fact that I've gone on an investigation to Charlevill Castle before, and I wrote the centre spread article for the magazine that Dublin6th is putting together, and the fact that I've been posting useful advice and knowledge for years on the forum... Regardless of when I have done something wrong, I must protest against the assertion that I contribute nothing. Psi you're arrogant and blind, not to mention inconsistent.

This won't actually achieve anything, I just felt like expressing my annoyance. That is all, good day.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Zillah wrote:
    Quite.

I believe psi was within her rights to ask you to either make a proper comment or not say anything all... I do the same thing in PI

are you on here just to complain about that? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No, of course not. I assumed the entire thread would have been recyled due to its pointlessness. Its Psi's attitude in general that annoys me. Such as this comment:
    If you have nothing positive to contribute to this forum, don't post. When you actually start posting something of benefit to the forum, I'll over look this sort of thing, however your first post back after a banning is
    mild troll. Very clever.Psi

Considering it was in response to a genuinely good natured joke, I found it insulting. Its another example of Psi joy in leaping to the worst conclusion about me. Not to mention the fact that Psi is allowed to post whatever he/she feels like, off topic or not, humerous or not, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Yeah, mate, all you posted was "Quite".

That's not helpful, nor does it add anything to the convo/debate. In short, it's pointless and self-serving.

So, while I had no knowledge of any "feud" between you and psi, if this is the way you do things then I'm taking Psi's side tbh...

EDIT:
    Zillah wrote:
    I assumed the entire thread would have been recyled due to its pointlessness
    Assumption is the mother of all fcuk-ups.
    Seriously tho, you are not a mod. Let them do their job, and if you think a thread is pointless then leave it alone. Don't exacerbate the situation.

Again, the only reason I said that was to agree with Wicknight, and I was only so glib because I thought the whole thread was about to be nuked to the Recycle Bin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

what is it exactly that you are looking for by posting this thread then?

shall we sack psi and let you mod instead?
    shall we sack psi and have a mod of your choosing take over?
    what?

• Advertisement

SebtheBum wrote:
    Assumption is the mother of all fcuk-ups.
    Seriously tho, you are not a mod. Let them do their job, and if you think a thread is pointless then leave it alone. Don't exacerbate the situation.

That is a good point. But this isn't about that thread, it just got me thinking about all this.
    what is it exactly that you are looking for by posting this thread then?

shall we sack psi and let you mod instead?
    shall we sack psi and have a mod of your choosing take over?
    what?
    Me wrote:
    This won't actually achieve anything, I just felt like expressing my annoyance. That is all, good day.

I didn't want to post wildly off topic in the paranormal forum, nor did I want pointless dismissive PMs from Psi.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Zillah wrote:
    Well, you shouldn't be replying then. Good day.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

emot-monocle.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If everyone who agreed with a post, posted "Quite" do you think Boards would be a better or worse place?

Can you then see why this rule might be important/reasonable?

Do you think you should be allowed to break this rule while everyone else isnt?

The answers to these questions are important and indicate the difference in thinking between an Admin/Mod and a single poster.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Quite. (chuckle)

Sorry... :(

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:
    If everyone who agreed with a post, posted "Quite" do you think Boards would be a better or worse place?

If you'll kindly look three posts up from yours you'll see that I've already accepted that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Zillah wrote:
    Those of you that have been paying attention (and God help you) will have noted that myself and Psi don't get along.

I actually don't know you so, I neither don't get along with you, or do get along with you.

I moderate a forum where you have a high incidence of rule transgression, thats the length and depth of our relationship.
    I would argue that the reason we don't get along is that Psi is an awful hypocritical moderator who feels that his/her (still not sure on that) personal vision of the forum is more important than anything else.
    There is a level of irony in this I'm sure you've missed :)
    For example, crap like this is a fine contribution to the forum, but I contribute nothing of worth apparently...
    I decided to see where the thread went and, as it happened, it turned out to be mildly interesting (good call there Psi!!! I hear you cry).

Since I unbanned you, you have posted 19 times in Paranormal.
    Of these 19 posts we have these wonderful contibutions:
    1. What an odd turn of phrase...
    2. Which side of the moon, light or dark?
    3. I see. So, are you looking for opinions or theories or did you just want to share?
    4. You're just a die hard sceptic...
    5. Well?
    6. Quite
    7. EDIT: Oh forget it.

All of which were off topic or contibuted nothing to the thread.
    Another 6 were "chat" in the investigation thread, which is grand, except for the fact that it means that if I'm generous, you've posted 6 paranormal related posts in the paranomal forum out of 19. I'd probably say if I really looked at those 6, I could eliminate a few more.

Aside from the fact that I've gone on an investigation to Charlevill Castle before,
    Bubbles goes to boards beers, whats you point?
    and I wrote the centre spread article for the magazine that Dublin6th is putting together, and the fact that I've been posting useful advice and knowledge for years on the forum...
    At times some of your posts are very worthwhile, but alas the signal to noise ratio is poor. If you spent more time on posting worthwhile posts and less whinging cos you didn'tget to mod paranormal, then maybe you'd be happier.
    Regardless of when I have done something wrong, I must protest against the assertion that I contribute nothing. Psi you're arrogant and blind, not to mention inconsistent.
    Yes, because personally abusing the moderator will get you your way :)

Incidently, my comment was simple. You'd just been unbanned (I even remembered on time) you posted crap. I told you that seeing as you'd just been unbanned, if you wanted to stay that way you should post less crap. It wasn't an invitation to keep doing it.
    It did. Actually, it also makes ya look a bit of a tit :).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

psi wrote:
    Actually, it also makes ya look a bit of a tit :).

Handy to know.

Four of the six posts you just quoted only look bad when they're taken completely out of context. They actually served quite a valid point. A point which you've either missed or ignored.
    less whinging cos you didn'tget to mod paranormal

I believe that I mention that I'd do it once. This is not about that at all. If it was offered to me now I wouldn't take it.
    There is a level of irony in this I'm sure you've missed

Farcical. Do you recal the thread in which everyone discussed their opinions on what they'd like from the forum? I posted in that a good deal, and five or six people specifically commented that they agreed with what I said. Not one person supported your view, but you went with it anyway. There is no irony in the situation.

Not to mention the fact that you added a whole swathe to the charter about "scepticism", and yet repeatidly and repeatidly refused and dodged any discussion on what scepticism is. Couple that with the fact that you have consistently shown that you don't understand scepticism and it becomes grossly unfair.

Zillah wrote:
    Four of the six posts you just quoted only look bad when they're taken completely out of context. They actually served quite a valid point. A point which you've either missed or ignored.

I posted 7, you will find.

and no, taking in context you are either trolling, flaming, poking just posting useless crap.

And you will stop or be banned. I can't make it much more simple for you.
    I believe that I mention that I'd do it once. This is not about that at all. If it was offered to me now I wouldn't take it.
    Thats nice to know.
    Farcical. Do you recal the thread in which everyone discussed their opinions on what they'd like from the forum? I posted in that a good deal, and five or six people specifically commented that they agreed with what I said. Not one person supported your view, but you went with it anyway. There is no irony in the situation.

At what point, specifically, did boards become a democracy?

Can you show me the post or memo from the admins?

Not to mention the fact that you added a whole swathe to the charter about "scepticism", and yet repeatidly and repeatidly refused and dodged any discussion on what scepticism is. Couple that with the fact that you have consistently shown that you don't understand scepticism and it becomes grossly unfair.
    I don't have to answer to you Zillah, which I'm afraid is a concept you seem to have difficulty with :)

Incidently, noone else has a problem that I can see. I always said I'd review things if there was a problem. There hasn't been. Except for you and your tantrum throwing.

I do enjoy these posts btw :)

psi wrote:
    and no, taking in context you are either trolling, flaming, poking just posting useless crap.

Ok, I'll go through them.

" Which side of the moon, light or dark? "

The topic was aliens having moonbases. If it was on the light side of the moon we'd be able to see it from earth. Very relevant to the topic. Perhaps its the topic you weren't taking seriously?

"I see. So, are you looking for opinions or theories or did you just want to share? "

The poster hadn't given any indication of what he wanted, I was considering sharing an opinion on the matter but I wanted to see if it was welcome first.

"Well? "

I was prompting Dublin6th for an update on the situation, which he gave later.

The odd turn of phrase comment was just an observation on the expression, a little off topic but not exactly upsetting to anyone. The other comment an "die hard sceptic" was actually a joke to try and keep things light hearted between us...you didn't respond well if I recal...
    At what point, specifically, did boards become a democracy?

Im not saying it is. All im pointing out is that you are running the forum the way you want, as opposed to how the people who use the forum want. That was my original point.
    I don't have to answer to you Zillah, which I'm afraid is a concept you seem to have difficulty with :)

Refusing to deign to answer a question does not make you right, only arrogant, and just as wrong.
    Incidently, noone else has a problem that I can see. I always said I'd review things if there was a problem. There hasn't been. Except for you and your tantrum throwing.

Aside, of course, from the several very intelligent posters who have simply abandoned the forum since your return.
    I do enjoy these posts btw :)

Oh good! :)

Zillah wrote:
    Ok, I'll go through them.

" Which side of the moon, light or dark? "

The topic was aliens having moonbases. If it was on the light side of the moon we'd be able to see it from earth. Very relevant to the topic. Perhaps its the topic you weren't taking seriously?
    And you see the point I'm making about off hand one line quips. If you'd bothered to post that, I wouldn't have a problem.
    "I see. So, are you looking for opinions or theories or did you just want to share? "

The poster hadn't given any indication of what he wanted, I was considering sharing an opinion on the matter but I wanted to see if it was welcome first.
    Consider your attitude here in the context of the first post.
    was actually a joke to try and keep things light hearted between us...you didn't respond well if I recal...
    I'm not there to joke with you, I'm there to moderate a forum.
    Im not saying it is. All im pointing out is that you are running the forum the way you want, as opposed to how the people who use the forum want. That was my original point.
    People who use the forum now seem happy.
    Refusing to deign to answer a question does not make you right, only arrogant, and just as wrong.
    Wrong about what? How the forum is run? I'm sorry, I think you'll find only two opinions are right on that subject and neither of them are yours.

And yep, I am arrogant.
    Aside, of course, from the several very intelligent posters who have simply abandoned the forum since your return.
    Their loss.

psi wrote:
    And you see the point I'm making about off hand one line quips. If you'd bothered to post that, I wouldn't have a problem.

So I didn't explain myself well enough? Leading to you leaping to the wrong conclusion rather than asking me to explain it?
    Wrong about what? How the forum is run?

Wrong about your attitude towards sceptically minded people.
    I'm sorry, I think you'll find only two opinions are right on that subject and neither of them are yours.

An opinion is not inherently right because of its source. Its the sign of a bad leader when they dictate might is right, which is essentially what you've said.
    And yep, I am arrogant.
    Their loss.

Yes, yes it is. My point exactly. They were intelligent and knowledgeable people and you've driven them off because of your hypocritical attitudes.

Zillah wrote:
    So I didn't explain myself well enough? Leading to you leaping to the wrong conclusion rather than asking me to explain it?
    My dear Zillah, moderation exists to separate noise from signal, in terms of both users and posts. While you are no doubt and intelligent and informed young man of the utmost good character and standing, this unfortunately does not preclude you from having to follow the same guidelines as everyone else (nor indeed, does it confer mind reading abilities upon me), lest you be warned, or heavens forbid, banned.

As much as I would like to indulge your every whim, I am afraid that at this juncture, I have neither the time nor inclination, so it is with regret that I once again must inform you that given your current standing with the moderators of the Paranormal forum, we will ask you to post, on topic, within forum guidelines or else risk further warning and bannings.

We hope that in time we may be able to reconsider this position.

Wrong about your attitude towards sceptically minded people.
    At this point in time I do not hold any specific attitude on the aforementioned "sceptically minded people". If I have mis-represented this in the past, I do apologise. I would however, state that all persons, be they sceptically minded or of similar inclination, but choosing a different classification, must adhere to the forum charter or risk being warned or banned.

An opinion is not inherently right because of its source. Its the sign of a bad leader when they dictate might is right, which is essentially what you've said.
    At this time the Paranormal forum is run according to the boards approved benevolent dictator model(tm). As such, it is the opinion ofthe moderator that is inherently right in this case. If at some junction a superceeding opinion is put forth by an administrator or succesive paranormal moderator, the Paranormal forum will alter its modu operandi appropriately.
    Yes, yes it is. My point exactly. They were intelligent and knowledgeable people and you've driven them off because of your hypocritical attitudes.
    Unfortunately, as I do not know the individuals in question nor have I had any dealings with them, it seems that this may not be the case. But, we in the paranormal forum regret the exodus of any such persons and will respectfully suggest that shoudl they at any time wish to return, they will be free to post within the restrictions of the paranormal forum charter.

Kind regards,

Psi

Why are you suddenly hiding behind all this formal nonesense? We were just starting to get somewhere.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    Why are you suddenly hiding behind all this formal nonesense? We were just starting to get somewhere.

I'm afraid you are quite mistaken. My attitude or approach to you and your participation in the forum has not changed. However, if your understanding of your rights, or lack thereof, has increased, then yes, you are right, progress has been made.

Now, while I am grateful that you could relieve whatever stress or angst you feel you must. I really have no interest in this subject, other than toying with you and amusing myself at your expense.

I may go off and do other things or I may stick around and laugh at you some more. Who knows.

[Edit] Actually, to be fair if anyone other than Zillah had started this thread, I may actually have paid it some heed, however mr. zillah has a terrible case of not-getting-his-own-way-itis which leads him to throw strops when he feels he has been hard done by. Whatever spoilt little existance he's led up til now is probably to blame, but I do honestly think he's probably a good sort normally.

Unfortunately, here, the more he keeps on at this type of crap, the less likely I am to tolerate even minor transgressions on his part.

Psi wrote:
    I really have no interest in this subject, other than toying with you and amusing myself at your expense.

I may go off and do other things or I may stick around and laugh at you some more. Who knows.

I've never been unclear about my rights, I've just been trying to show what a horrible person and atrocious moderator you are, and you've gone a long way towards doing that for me, so thank you, im happy to leave it there for now. You've made my point far more clear than I could have done on my own.

EDIT: In fact, I've decided to signature that. Its just that poignant.

Zillah wrote:
    I've never been unclear about my rights, I've just been trying to show what a horrible person and atrocious moderator you are, and you've gone a long way towards doing that for me, so thank you, im happy to leave it there for now. You've made my point far more clear than I could have done on my own.

EDIT: In fact, I've decided to signature that. Its just that poignant.

My post is in reference to your feedback, it has nothing to do with moderating Paranormal. However you will be banned from Paranormal as soon as you post with that sig :)

On what grounds, exactly? Signatures are completely seperate from the post content. If you don't want to look at people's signatures then turn them off. And I'll point out that signatures are retroactive.

EDIT: Oh, one last thing before I go to bed:
    Actually, to be fair if anyone other than Zillah had started this thread, I may actually have paid it some heed, however mr. zillah has a terrible case of not-getting-his-own-way-itis which leads him to throw strops when he feels he has been hard done by.

Judging by your previous arguments with Wicknight and Kernel, it would appear that anyone who questions your moderatorship has a severe case of not-getting-his-own-way-itis. Must be an epidemic or something. Or maybe there's another cause...? ¬_¬

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

just posting here so i can read when i have more time,, i have some stories of my own which i will post at a later date,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

There is a lot to be said for leading by example.

Saying that perhaps it would be appropriate that Regan McNeill moderates paranormal.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Zillah wrote:
    Must be an epidemic or something.
    Could turn into a pandemic.

Zillah wrote:
    On what grounds, exactly? Signatures are completely seperate from the post content. If you don't want to look at people's signatures then turn them off. And I'll point out that signatures are retroactive.

Erm no, having something trolly in a sig is agains sig rules. In this its trolling the paranomal mod (ie. me :)) and as such will get you a ban.

I know its retrospective, but I like to give people a fair chance :)
    Judging by your previous arguments with Wicknight and Kernel, it would appear that anyone who questions your moderatorship has a severe case of not-getting-his-own-way-itis. Must be an epidemic or something. Or maybe there's another cause...? ¬_¬

Well hrmmm I'd like to hear Kernel's views, I think s/he was quite reasonable, apologised for spamming the forum so I unbanned immediately and as for wicknight, well no, his views just coincide with yours :) its a fluke of nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Signature breaking sig rules editted...

• Advertisement

Talliesin wrote:
    Signature breaking sig rules editted...

Blast...was it the quote tags? :)

Well Psi, I hope you always imagine that sig is there then. Because it'll always be on my mind.
    Psi wrote:
    Well hrmmm I'd like to hear Kernel's views, I think s/he was quite reasonable, apologised for spamming the forum so I unbanned immediately and as for wicknight, well no, his views just coincide with yours its a fluke of nature.

Blah blah blah the point is that no amount of obnoxious statements and ad hominem will make you right. And before you try and turn that around, my point itself is that you are arrogant and a bad moderator, im not using that as justification for another point.

Advertisement