Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal Once Again!

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

psi wrote:
    If not, then I'm interested in what you want me to compromise with and what critical mass of posters require the compromise.

Thanks.

"x/n"

I just think you're being irritating for no reason, I often profess that the Internet is not serious business, hell it's my tagline, and I think that things are being taken way too seriously here.

So what if some posters are smart-alecy? We're better off without the people who are offended by them. Seriously. I am loathe to put up with these whingey posters who cry when they post a picture of their fat ass online and then are told that they are, indeed, fatasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Zillah wrote:
    So,

1 - Only the original post matters?

Nope, not at all, but when someone posts with the abusive, bullying ignorant manner you did in your OP, then I pretty much switch off (or swiitch on to troll baiting mode).
    If you have a constructive criticism, then post constructively, sans abuse and people might consider it.

I see no reason to consider any points you make when you are abusive and you set the mode to start with.

You only diverged from your OP stance when the balance of the first few posts went against you.
    2 - Only if a huge number of people shout it at you will you consider you might be wrong?

I'd say the majority of the forum. Or at least the majority ofthe most recently active contributing posters.

Of which you're not one.
    Please make a choice between acting the tit and discussing the point, they don't mix very well and gives you far too easy a cop out when you hit a point you can't respond to.
    I've responded to all your points.

Zillah, I don't CARE what you think of my moderating and I don't care what points you make - you're the ONLY person to complain.

If you came to paranormal and tried to follow the rules and had any respect for the forum charter AND THEN had complaints, I would entertain you. I even said as much to you in a post (which you quoted above).

But you're simply not even willing to try, you just want your way.

I'm tempted to just ban you from paranormal now, to make the issue academic, but on prinicipal I won't, because I don't believe in pre-emptive bans. I may try and learn though.

You can harp on all you like, but all you're doing is amusing me. Honestly.

I think its great because you've "let this one go" about 3 times now.

You're so predictiable and circular its hilarious. One of the smods reckons we can keep this thread going for years if I keep responding.

I'm happy to try :)

CuLT wrote:
    "x/n"

I just think you're being irritating for no reason, I often profess that the Internet is not serious business, hell it's my tagline, and I think that things are being taken way too seriously here.

Well in case you haven't notices I'm not taking anything seriously here at all. I think I've said that a few times.

Seriously though, what points specifically in that OP would you like me to address or would you address if you were me? You said I should open up and compromise?

So what if some posters are smart-alecy? We're better off without the people who are offended by them. Seriously. I am loathe to put up with these whingey posters who cry when they post a picture of their fat ass online and then are told that they are, indeed, fatasses.
    I'm not actually offended. I understand why you might think I am, but I've been laughing at this all day.

I'm confused. You initially said I should be open to consider the complaint. But I've referenced the Op and you haven't responded to what I should consider? Only that I shouldn't be offended? Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Zillah wrote:
    So,
    2 - Only if a huge number of people shout it at you will you consider you might be wrong?

Well, if a large number of people don't have a problem it's hardly worth changing. The formula seems to work, only you so far have a problem.

If one person had a problem with the way I ran the athletics forum (excuse the pun) I'd probably leave it, or make a decision with ecksor and amz and see if it's worth changing. But if lets say 10 of the usual posters complained about the way I ran it (again, excuse the pun) then it's obvious something serious is wrong.

To be honest you're just one face in the crowd, as much as anyone would want to change that, it won't. I visit the motors forum alot, and if I wanted to complain about Mike65 (I don't, I have the utmost respect for the chap) I'd be rightly told to **** off. Just one face in the crowd.

psi wrote:
    I'm not actually offended. I understand why you might think I am, but I've been laughing at this all day.

Me, me, me :) I'm not talking about you psi, I'm talking about your crazy wiccans and flying saucer fruitloops who burst into tears whenever their "beliefs" are questioned.
    I'm confused. You initially said I should be open to consider the complaint. But I've referenced the Op and you haven't responded to what I should consider? Only that I shouldn't be offended? Which is it?
    *sigh*

Nevermind, I really should have done something more productive, like bang my head off a brick wall. I don't think you need to make massive changes, just chill a bit on the trigger happy front.

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote:
    Me, me, me :) I'm not talking about you psi, I'm talking about your crazy wiccans and flying saucer fruitloops who burst into tears whenever their "beliefs" are questioned.

Ahh well apologies for the confusion.

However, the forum is for people who believe in the paranormal to have paranomal discussion.

If people don't want to do that or don't like that, then don't post there and don't read it.

*sigh*

Nevermind, I really should have done something more productive, like bang my head off a brick wall.

Ok, but ifyou actually had a point to begin with, I'm open and curious as to what it was.

psi wrote:
    the forum is for people who believe in the paranormal to have paranomal discussion.

If people don't want to do that or don't like that, then don't post there and don't read it.

See, I think this is a sticky point; if it's for people who believe in paranormal events, surely it should be a community board? I think we've been here before too.

I would have though that, the forum being a branch from the main categories, that it would be a neutral ground, a place for "believers" and "non-believers" to discuss, clash, argue, etc.

As such, I think this is the crux of the issue, you don't go into the Christianity Community board to mouth off against Christians. However, if it were under a main category, I would take it as being a place for clinical discussion of Christianity from all viewpoints.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

psi wrote:
    However, the forum is for people who believe in the paranormal to have paranomal discussion.

People who are blindly believe or people who are interested in exploring it? I think Zillah is the latter. From what I've seen, the guy takes a genuine interest in the subject and has even signed up to ghosthunting tours.

I understand that you don't want every thread to be filled with unthinking "it's a trick of the mind" crap but you still have to allow for a certain amount of two-sided discussion. There are cases of people going in with a belief in the paranormal and finding out fascinating new things about the human mind and in contrary to that, people setting out to disprove paranormal theories and becoming converts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Squirrel wrote:
    Well, if a large number of people don't have a problem it's hardly worth changing. The formula seems to work, only you so far have a problem.
    I think this is the most important point. There's a good few people using the forum while I can't speak for everyone, I don't see any other complaints.

I think this is down to a clash of personalities more than anything else. Zillah, you seem to be taking huge personal umbrage at minor criticisms. You may or may not have noticed but other people have been similarly warned, dublin6th who certainly falls in the believers camp has been, which shows it's not just psi on some kind of vendetta against sceptics. I think I may have been aswell, I'm not sure, which shows how seriously I took it (sorry psi :) ). That's probably the oppsite end of the scale of reactions to warnings, the ideal would be somewhere in the middle where we take note and just move on. Moving on being the important part, after all it is just the internet, nobody actually gets hurt from a virtual slap on the wrist.

It's a whole lot easier on the soul, and much better for your karma, to just let things slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

psi wrote:
    I've responded to all your points.

Thats a blatant lie.
    You only diverged from your OP stance when the balance of the first few posts went against you.

My original point was that you're a bad unfair moderator, which I don't think I've diverged from just yet.
    I think its great because you've "let this one go" about 3 times now.

Yes yes, a testament to your trolling skills. Is that really the kind of point scoring you want here? Yes, you managed to piss me off to the point where I had to respond. Do you think a troll ever believes his audience doesn't deserve it? Just because you feel like I don't deserve to be taken seriously doesn't make you any better than any other troll.
    stevenmu wrote:
    I think this is the most important point. There's a good few people using the forum while I can't speak for everyone, I don't see any other complaints.
    Squirrel wrote:

I've already addressed this. Many posters have simply abandoned the forum after Psi began the current regime. Those people wisely chose to not to take Psi on and I think the forum is much the worse for their loss.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote:
    It's a whole lot easier on the soul, and much better for your karma, to just let things slide.

adamsandler27je.jpg

Send the ball home, Happy. :)

(I was going to use the penguin from Fight Club... but... beh.)

CuLT wrote:
    See, I think this is a sticky point; if it's for people who believe in paranormal events, surely it should be a community board? I think we've been here before too.
    It was like that when I got here.
    I would have though that, the forum being a branch from the main categories, that it would be a neutral ground, a place for "believers" and "non-believers" to discuss, clash, argue, etc.
    Again, I'm pretty much holding firm the ideals of the forum conception. Originally, no debate was allowed. Now there is some denate allowed.

This has been done to death though and the admins looked at it and felt it was good the way it is. It has a nice set of regular users, its growing and it has spawned newsletters and research groups.

I got a nice email from a yahoo group saying that its a great reference point and then PMs from users like Dublin6th siting its importance to the community and asking me to write a piece on it.

By and large I don't see why it shouldn't be left as it is. After all, nooone would suggest a bunch of evangelical christians have a right to go into the paganism forum and have it whatever way they want just because its a mainstream forum.
    As such, I think this is the crux of the issue, you don't go into the Christianity Community board to mouth off against Christians. However, if it were under a main category, I would take it as being a place for clinical discussion of Christianity from all viewpoints.

Thoughts?
    Ahh yes, the analogy I had (with paganism for christianity). Unless ISS want to come in to a Rec subforum with paranormal, I don't know. AFAIK they resisted previous suggestions to go mainstream.

Like I said, it seems to do well as it is, apart from Zillah and wicknight, which is the crux of stevemu's point.

Stark wrote:
    People who are blindly believe or people who are interested in exploring it? I think Zillah is the latter. From what I've seen, the guy takes a genuine interest in the subject and has even signed up to ghosthunting tours.
    I don't dispute this. I merely stated that Zillah must abide by the same rules as everyone else. The forum allows for discussion, in the right channels. I even Co-Opped with sceptics, for those who wish to bring paranormal issues to the sceptics forum.

The thing is. Lets say that Zillah does "have a genuine interest" but wants to discuss the item in a manner that is not in standing with the paranormal forum. Why does he have to discuss his genuine interests and alternative explanations with people who specifically believe they are supernatural? Surely if he is genuinely interested in the subject, it would be just as productive to his interest, if not more so, in taking the post to sceptics (as the co-op allows)?
    I understand that you don't want every thread to be filled with unthinking "it's a trick of the mind" crap but you still have to allow for a certain amount of two-sided discussion. There are cases of people going in with a belief in the paranormal and finding out fascinating new things about the human mind and in contrary to that, people setting out to disprove paranormal theories and becoming converts.
    Two sided discussion is allowed. But only when the OP asks for debate or discussion. This allows for both the "mulder posters" and the "scully posters" to contribute to the forum and allows me the chance to make sure the threads are staying on topic as the OP wants.

I am not to the paranormal forum as christians are to the paganism forum.

Zillah wrote:
    Thats a blatant lie.

My original point was that you're a bad unfair moderator, which I don't think I've diverged from just yet.

Yes yes, a testament to your trolling skills. Is that really the kind of point scoring you want here? Yes, you managed to piss me off to the point where I had to respond. Do you think a troll ever believes his audience doesn't deserve it? Just because you feel like I don't deserve to be taken seriously doesn't make you any better than any other troll.

Now here is a case in point. We've gone wildly off topic here and are actually having a decent debate with Stark, stevemu and Cult making intelligent civilised posts (albeit rehashing old ground). I respond well to that.

Then we have you re-entering the debate and lo and behold, snide, abusive bullying. And you wonder why you're not entertained?

I'm glad I pissed you off though. Thanks for admitting it.
    I've already addressed this. Many posters have simply abandoned the forum after Psi began the current regime. Those people wisely chose to not to take Psi on and I think the forum is much the worse for their loss.
    Lets name some names here so we can see their contributions before hand or I can PM them and ask them to confirm this if required.

I havn't seen many posts from Wicknight or ISAW lately, but I especially regret the loss of Kernel, he knew more about the paranormal than most of the other forumites put together. From a few PMs we exchanged it seems he was just as dissatisfied with the direction the forum had taken. I havn't seen any posts from him in months. There is also of course KatieK who's found the atmosphere to be far too oppressive and unpleasant of late.

EDIT: But frankly Psi im sick of trying to take the matter seriously, you have no intention of it so why should I bother. Just don't launch any unneccessary censorship at me and we'll be fine. Bye.

Zillah wrote:
    I havn't seen many posts from Wicknight or ISAW lately, but I especially regret the loss of Kernel, he knew more about the paranormal than most of the other forumites put together. From a few PMs we exchanged it seems he was just as dissatisfied with the direction the forum had taken. I havn't seen any posts from him in months. There is also of course KatieK who's found the atmosphere to be far too oppressive and unpleasant of late.

Wicknight had only just foundthe forum beforeI took the modship (and contributed directly to it). ISAW I don't recall posting at all.

Looking back at Kernel and KatieK I see no major increase or decreasein their posting since I took the modship (allowing for the 4 day christmas period where everyone posted alot). Kernel posted 3 days ago.

EDIT: But frankly Psi im sick of trying to take the matter seriously, you have no intention of it so why should I bother. Just don't launch any unneccessary censorship at me and we'll be fine. Bye.
    I'll be fine regardless. You'll be fine so long as you obey the forum rules.

You really do know how to provoke a man.

KatieK and ISAW have not posted in paranormal at all in ages. Kernel did indeed post once three days ago, but that was the first and only in a very long time. You're being deliberately deceitful.

I just had to respond to blantant lies.

Zillah wrote:
    You really do know how to provoke a man.

KatieK and ISAW have not posted in paranormal at all in ages. Kernel did indeed post once three days ago, but that was the first and only in a very long time. You're being deliberately deceitful.

I just had to respond to blantant lies.

KatieK - 15th Feb, 11th Feb, 2nd Feb - I left out two that were just one liners and there are quite a few over January.

Before I was mod -

5 last consecutive pre-christmas posts - 28/09/05, 17/11/05, 17/11/05, 13/12/05, 15/12/05.

Kernel - 16th Feb, 9th Feb, 9th Feb, 9th Feb, 9th Feb

Not including the 3 day ago post and the posts I deleted (where he got drunk and spammed the forum).

Before I was mod -
    (random period)

23/11/05, 27/11/05, 27/11/05, 29/11/05, 01/12/05..

He has also previously gone 4 weeks in the forum without posting, before I retook modding.

How are my assertions that they aren't posting any less than before I was a mod blatant lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Y'know, I've been looking at this thread over the past while and I find it pretty much pointless. What is all of this going to achieve?

In my eyes, I feel nothing is going to be achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

ok I had no idea this thread was going on and have just spent about 40 minutes reading it all!

I've dealt with both Zillah and PSI in the past and gotta say they both have a genuine interest in the paranormal ... but tahst not in question here.

Zillah: you have made some very good points in paranormal, some that have even made me think .... but you do have a tendencey for smart or double sided oneliners. Funny at times but i'm sure i'd be pissed if they were aimed at me. Its a mods job to spank people when they are naughty, you ahve to admit despite your good posts you are a naughty boy? Withr egards to the article you wrote for me, i asked bacause the simple fact is when you put your mind to it you can get the job done. Its a very good piece and even handed. If you posted in the manner you wrote that piece you'd be a much better poster.

I personally would like to see you stick around and as you grow and gain more experience make better and better posts, and less of the oneliners.

PSI: You've had to slap me on the wrist a fair bit, i've deserved it and think you handled me well (if anyone takes that the wrong way i'm seriously hoping your a woman like i suspect). Over all i think you are an excellent mod, you dont claim to be an expert on the subject and thats the way a mod should be. You contribute to the forum as well as you do as a mod, and i for one would post alot less if you hung up your ..er ... what do mods have to hang up anyway?

To you both: I am so glad this has been taken up here and not wasted space on Paranormal, I am sure many potential posters have been put off by crap like this in the past. Fact is you bought have acted like assholes here but maybe this is the best place for it.

I can see this going on and on, maybe zillahs kids and PSI's kids can carry on the feud?

Paranormal forum is doing very well at the moment, sure it has its quiet time but i know that every so often i go missing for a couple of weeks and dont post ... its called a life.

Personaly i dont care how many people post on there, I receivce emails from people who just go on as guests, many are (dispite the anonimity) weary to post on the subject for a fear of ridicle and a general lack of confidence with regards to their own experiences.

For people who say "well if they cant stand up for themselves they should leave"? ... go **** yourselves!

.... i feel a pm from a mod coming on ... clairvoyency?

6th

• Advertisement

Kennett wrote:
    Y'know, I've been looking at this thread over the past while and I find it pretty much pointless. What is all of this going to achieve?

In my eyes, I feel nothing is going to be achieved.

What would you like achieved?

psi wrote:
    What would you like achieved?

It's not what I want anything achieved, it's rather I feel that it's almost like an excercise in futitility and that I'm getting really frustrated by reading proceedings within my thread, so I felt I had to express my opinion. Granted, I may have chosen the wrong words at the time to express my feelings (this happens a lot with me) but I still feel that this is essentially, for most, if not all intents and purposes a vicious circle.

I feel that I should add as well that I have no problems with regards to the way you mod the boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

This forum now has the look and feel of a religious community! Who's gonna shun who? Where's the be-heading forum? ffs?:eek:

ZillahvsPSI.jpg

If PSI aint a woman I am in trouble! Just thought i'd lighten the mood.

6th

dublin6th wrote:
    ZillahvsPSI.jpg

6th

LOL

Nicely done!

well that answer one question for Zillah anyway. We can all offically hit on you now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dublin6th wrote:
    ZillahvsPSI.jpg

6th

lol.

quality:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

One thing that occurs to me is that moderators should moderate discussions rather than stick pins in dogs arses for fun.

dublin6th wrote:
    well that answer one question for Zillah anyway. We can all offically hit on you now lol

:D

• Advertisement

Y'see, its probably these guys right here that keep me coming back to the forum...

(Ps: Rrraawwrrrr *crush*)

Advertisement