Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could somebody explain the ending to FFX for me please?

Options
  • 05-03-2006 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

I suppose I better put this in those spoiler bracket things in case someones playing FFX at the moment. Basically, I saw the ending of the game and have a slight idea of the story behind it (I havnt actually played it) but I havnt got the money or the time at the moment to buy it and play through it and cant wait til the summer holidays after my exams are finished, and besides Iv seen the ending....
    So, why exactly doe Tidus jump off of the ledge at the end and why does he start to dissapear prior to that? Iv read he wasnt actually 'real' and was just a dream or a fictional creation.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Tidus disappeared at the end because he was part of a huge collective dream/summoning, he was never real in the first place. I completed the game three years ago now so I'm hazy but I think the people of Tidus's time (the people of Zanarkand in the past) summoned Sin (the main big bad monster in FFX) in a war against some other civilization and to do so they had to go into some weird collective sleep/trance to do so.. They never stopped dreaming over the 1000 years, explaining why Sin never disappeared after the war. Also, whilst the people of Zanarkand were in this dream/whatever it kept the memories of the people of Zanarkand (of 1000 years ago) alive, at the end of the game when you defeat Sin, the collective dream ends and therefore the memories of the people of Zanarkand ceases to exist as well which is why Tidus disappears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Thanks a million. Cant wait to get it.....even though I know what happens, lol

Oh sorry, one more question
    Was Tidus aware of the fact he was never real in the first place, and was there some significance to him jumping off of the ledge(like, would it have mattered if he hadnt jumped?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Flex wrote:
    Oh sorry, one more question
    Was Tidus aware of the fact he was never real in the first place, and was there some significance to him jumping off of the ledge(like, would it have mattered if he hadnt jumped?)
    In the beginning Tidus doesn't know he's not real, but he realises towards the end of the game (I won't say how, you'll find out when you play), there's no significance in him jumping off the ledge at the end of the game, he'd have still disappeared, I think it just makes it more dramatic to have him jump off because of Tidus's "cool and reckless" personality.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

He only realised that fact later on in the storyline. The jumping scene you mentioned is for dramatic effect I suppose and also to show that he and Jecht are reunited.

If he hadn't jumped he would have just disappeared while standing in front of everyone.

EDIT:Always one step ahead of the game Laguna.......

• Advertisement

Thanks very much Laguna and grimloch :D

I bought FFX a few weeks ago because I found it on sale somewhere for only E20. I finished it there yesterday, and I gotta say that its probably the best ending for a computer game Iv ever seen.
    Not because of the graphics, but because it really made me feel sorry for the characters. Very sad ending, brilliant though. The music suited it excellently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Flex wrote:
    I bought FFX a few weeks ago because I found it on sale somewhere for only E20. I finished it there yesterday, and I gotta say that its probably the best ending for a computer game Iv ever seen.
    Not because of the graphics, but because it really made me feel sorry for the characters. Very sad ending, brilliant though. The music suited it excellently.
    Ending was great but it's not the best ever imho. Play through Shadow of the Colossus first before you make your mind up.

OK thanks, Ill have a look for Shadow of Colossus. But I still think the ending is the best Iv ever seen.
    The bit when theyre on the airship, then when Yuna's giving her speech and it does the flashback, the whole lot of it; just a fantastic bitter-sweet ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep, great ending and not afraid to be brutal instead of being a happily ever after ending but not my best ever either. Loved the ending of Shadow of the Colossus as well but my favourite has to be the ending for Suikoden 2. Thats a really brutal ending and doesn't nicely at all. In fact it was the only game that made me cry (although FFVII and playing Panzer Dragoon Orta after Saga made me come close).

• Advertisement

I didnt actually cry, but it gave me a really heavy sinking feeling in my heart the whole time and goosebumps, and like I said the music suited it perfectly; it made me really sad. Iv never had emotions/feelings in me provoked as much as that by a game's ending, nowhere near that much in fact.

Only thing I didnt like about it though, was the bit after the music and credits have ended and Tidus appears in the water. I know in retrospect that that part was integrated into the 'perfect ending' movie for FFX-2, but I just didnt like it, it left questions lingering. I prefer a completely wrapped up ending.

Advertisement