Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with NAD BEE cd player

• 05-03-2006 3:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

hey it'd really help me out if someone could answer this for me;

recently (2 months ago) i bought the following setup from richer sounds:
    NAD BEE cd player and amp
    TDL studio 10 speakers,
    but i've encountered a small problem...
    when i turn the system on, for the first time in the day, the cd player finds it very difficult to play any cd, CD-R, -RW, mint, mildly scuffed, scratched... but eventually a mint will catch on and begin to play.
    it'll only play for 4 seconds before pausing and will proceed to pause for a second or two until about a minute has elapsed... it will then, usually, play any format of CD seamlessly...

now, i'm a poor (but passionate*) student, as are my housemates, so we happened to survive the winter without having to buy oil. the living room, where the hi-fi is, i'd say would average between 2degrees celsius and 10degrees celsius on a daily basis (until the evening when there're more people around and such...).

is the system temperature sensitive and is it only because of the heat generated in playing a cd for the 1st time in the day (a literal "warm up"!) that eventually allows for all other types of CD to play?
    and if so, is my only solution to commit to prostitution in order to afford a central heating system?

thanks for reading this,
    cheers.

*passionate for hi-fi and damn good quality sound*...

*damn good quality sound being entry level hi-fi, better than anything i've ever heard before anyway...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

Sounds like a problem with the CD player, you should return it to them, detailing the fault.

If the room is damp, or humid (e.g. close to the kitchen or bathroom), it could be condensation forming inside the CD player, or on the lens. As it warms up the condensation would dry out, and the player would work properly. If you check the specs sheet on teh CD player, it should give a range of temperatures at which it is designed to operate. Although the room sounds cold, its not unreasonable to expect the player to work properly... hence you should return it.

Otherwise, try leaving the CD player on (it shouldn't consume too much power - this should also be detailed in the spec sheet, in Watts, similar to a light bulb).

Advertisement