Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Restaurants

Options
  • 05-03-2006 4:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

What Restaurant would you recommend, where do the elite eat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭irishboy21

I like Joels on the Naas Rd. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

How much do you want to spend?

L'Ecrivain on Lwr Baggot St id very nice but pricey. Eden in Meeting House Aq in Temple Bar is good too.

Check out the Restaurant Review thread in Food/Drink for some other ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

mcdonalds.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Spakos just off grafton street is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

One of the best has to be 'The Unicorn' on Merrion Row. Worth every penny:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

ivy house - drumcondra good pub food
    66 george street - beautiful restraunt, amazing food
    cruzzo's malahide - brilliant
    kealys - airport road - lovely steaks
    delicatessen - drumcondra nicest and cheapest rolls in dublin
    independent pizza - drumcondra - quality italian and pizzas
    boccacios opposite olympia - lovely cheap italian food
    kingsland - next door to above - lovely chinese food, not so cheap

all depends what you want and how much your willing to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The usual suspects would be Guilbauds, Thorntons, l'Ecrivan etc.

Personally I quite like Roly's in Ballsbridge - not too expensive, excellent food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

shanahans on the green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

irishboy21 wrote:
    I like Joels on the Naas Rd. :)
    ...............lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

The Italien Connection on Talbot Street. Really nice atmosphere not too expensive. Pizza's wonderful and your always full leaving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 hotpotatoes

La Cave- on south anne st i think. (one of those streets just off grafton st anyway.) Nice atmosphere with kind of latin music. Very cosy and intimate. A little pricey though.

Boccacio's on dame street is v. nice. All the waiters are italian that will sing to you when its your birthday kinda thing. You'll have some nice eye candy while you're eating too.

Also heard alot of rave reviews about Gruel on dame st. Its affordable food thats decent. It closes early though, round 9.30.

Heard alot of good things about Room 101 on talbot street too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Boccacio's on dame street is v. nice. All the waiters are italian that will sing to you when its your birthday kinda thing. You'll have some nice eye candy while you're eating too.

em....i'm presuming your female considering all waiters are male. maybe your male! the manager is female, and quite nice too. but the pizza's are the nicest thing in there!!!

66 on george street, next door to the dragon. bellisimo!!! great prices, even better food

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

La Cave- on south anne st i think. (one of those streets just off grafton st anyway.) Nice atmosphere with kind of latin music. Very cosy and intimate. A little pricey though.
    It's not that expensive, especially for the quality of the food (which is excellent). They also do a very good value Early Bird menu or a set menu where you get 2 or 3 courses for a set amount. It's only very expensive if you go A La Carte.
    Heard alot of good things about Room 101 on talbot street too.
    I'm fairly sure it's just called The 101 or even just 101, if you're looking it up in a phone book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i like sayers in terenure. just all rounder and not to expensive. if you are looking for something extra special and pricey then patrick guilbauds in the merrion hotel is fab! cheap and cheerful, casa pasta in donnybrook is quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

if you like indian food then i like the shalimar restaurant on georges street, they have lunch and early birds for approx 10-20 euro,i think its 15.
    but its lovely food or if you live around shankill and you want a takeaway or delivery then check out www.letseatin.ie they have a variety of food indian,italian,chinese and thai.and of course i have tried it and its beautiful:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Chopperdog wrote:
    One of the best has to be 'The Unicorn' on Merrion Row. Worth every penny:)

I went to the unicorn last month, fantastic place food was marvelous. There was even a visit from Bob Geldof and a party of almost 20 last time we where there.

Thanks for the other suggestions folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

RuggieBear wrote:
    shanahans on the green
    You need to take out a second mortgage to eat there!

To the OP - it really depends on the social occasion. I've eaten at Patric Guilbaud's (one Michelin Star), but I find eateries at this level to be to stuffy and formal, unless you are a serious gastranout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Personally I quite like Roly's in Ballsbridge - not too expensive, excellent food.
    Here here - right mix of top food without the atmosphere being too stuffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Chapters
    sorry thats a bookshop

I meant Chapter One

RuggieBear wrote:
    shanahans on the green

Thats too expensive for most people.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

For something very different, and with something for everyone, no matter what your taste in food is: try the Mongolian Barbecue on Anglesea Street, just behind Bloom's Hotel. I've often been in it and it never disappoints, and anyone that has been with me or that I have recommended it to, has been very pleased too.

You basically choose your food, meat, veg etc. whatever you want, buffet style, and they cook it in front of you on a huge hot plate. They give it back to you, you go and eat, and then you can come up and do it all again. So it is a sort of each as much as you like kind of place. www.mongolianbbq.ie Two words for you: TRY IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

How exactly does the Mongolian BBQ work?
    Do you have to make reservations or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

The Mongolian is just plain stupid! You queue up to get your food :rolleyes: . By the time you sit down it's time to get up for more. Dining is about sitting and conversing and relaxing as well as eating. The Mongolian is about as good as queueing in the Spar for your lunchtime sambo! It's a con.

I thought Gilbauds got a 2nd Michelin star? Not that I've eaten there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Gotham Cafe just off Grafton Street (near bailey bar) is meant to be nice. And apparently does the best pizza dishes in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I agree with ruggiebear - Shanahans. It is soooo expensive it's unreal but if you want to go for a special occasion and want food and service thats second to none then this is the place. Dinner for 2 and bottle of wine will set you back €300 MINIMUM. I've been once and will go again - someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Tante Zoe's on Crow Street, Temple Bar. Awesome food and they have the best value early bird I've seen.. three courses plus tea/coffee for EUR19!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Saintly

Tante Zoe's is a great recommendation, I love it there.

I feel ill at the idea of spending 300 euro on a meal!! Let me recommend a few cheapies - am presently addicted to Mexican food - can't remember the name of that little place at the bottom of George's street, despite the fact that I eat there all the time, anyhow, I love it.

Cafe Bar Deli is always tasty and reliable, I am in love with their broccoli salad. The fact that I would ever consider ordering anything containing broccoli, let alone a broccoli salad is a testament to their genius! That said, its hardly a dining experience, they practically throw the food at you and move you on, kind of a ryanair style of service.

Talbot 101 is another favourite, diverse, interesting menu.

All cheap and cheerful

Saintly

Saintly wrote:
    Tante Zoe's is a great recommendation, I love it there.

I feel ill at the idea of spending 300 euro on a meal!! Let me recommend a few cheapies - am presently addicted to Mexican food - can't remember the name of that little place at the bottom of George's street, despite the fact that I eat there all the time, anyhow, I love it.

Cafe Bar Deli is always tasty and reliable, I am in love with their broccoli salad. The fact that I would ever consider ordering anything containing broccoli, let alone a broccoli salad is a testament to their genius! That said, its hardly a dining experience, they practically throw the food at you and move you on, kind of a ryanair style of service.

Talbot 101 is another favourite, diverse, interesting menu.

All cheap and cheerful

Saintly

I have to agree with you there.cafe bar deli have some great food and thats why they are doing so well because they know what there customers want

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

If you like Indian food you should really try Jaipur in Malahide.It is fantastic.

• Advertisement

adox wrote:
    If you like Indian food you should really try Jaipur in Malahide.It is fantastic.

Nah i wouldnot agree there, did you see there review in the paper lately they got a **** write up.I think Shalimar close to jaipur in georges street or Try indian food in Lets eat in which is based in shankill. They do indian, Chinese,Thai and Italian.I often get it.find out more on there website
    www.letseatin.ie

Advertisement