Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Braces!

• 05-03-2006 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi, I was just wondering has anybody out there tried any of the following?:

Ceramic braces, invisalign?

I'm 21 years old and my teeth are crooked, i've always put off getting them straightened because of the look of metal braces. If anyone has tried either of the above types of braces could they please post a review...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

Isabella wrote:
    Hi, I was just wondering has anybody out there tried any of the following?:

Ceramic braces, invisalign?

I'm 21 years old and my teeth are crooked, i've always put off getting them straightened because of the look of metal braces. If anyone has tried either of the above types of braces could they please post a review...

just get it done with normal ones. seriously, they're not that bad, everyone has them now. had them myself for 18 months, barely anyone noticed. just got them off recently and my bf saw me without them for the first time ever. it never bothered him when we got together.
    you'd also be surprised at the amout of guys out there with metal mouth fetishes!

putting it off any longer is really only going to make the treatment longer, and probably less effective given your age. get a recommendation from you dentist, and discuss the possibility of the less visible types with an orthodontist. tbh i reckon they're less effective, or outrageously expensive, otherwise everyone would have them!

i'm 21 too btw if that helps. honestly, no one will really notice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Supposedly the invisalign and the other similar ones take longer to work.. not 100% sure if thats true though. Try the Dental Issues Forum maybe they might have more info. Oh and also they're def way more expensive! Get regular ones they're not that bad and everyone has them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Don't be worrying what others will think. Braces don't put me off a girl at all, infact it makes some girls look cute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

BrynW wrote:
    Don't be worrying what others will think. Braces don't put me off a girl at all, infact it makes some girls look cute!
    i'd have to agree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

To be honest, the normal ones look much better, i don't like the pseudo invisile ones, they just dont look right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I think go with the traditional ones! They make most girls look alot hotter imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

They can make some girls, ... cute perhaps.. i don't know.. but i wouldn't say they are hot.. but just go for the metal ones, if all else fails you'll be blingin it.

but seriously Isabella, there's nothing wrong with braces, guys don't notice them after a second. I mean, it just shows that you look after yourself and stuff. It's cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I had braces for 4 long years. People don't notice.
    It's much better to have braces for a while than have crooked teeth all your life.

The metal ones are much better because they just do what they're supposed to, they were designed to fix your teeth, not to be invisible or whatever.
    You are only compromising with anything else.

I'm so happy I got braces. My teeth were majorly messed up. I had to have the works, orthodontics-wise. I actually have to wear a retainer for the rest of my life, at night, as my teeth are very prone to moving, but it's all worth it to have a smile people complement you on! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Seriously, braces are okay... i had them for 2 years and they only affected me in one way and one way only, it took 5 seconds more to brush my teeth. I was hugely self conscious of them for a few weeks but you almost forget about them.

Ive heard good things about ceramic braces and those see-through ones, less noticable and one person even said more comfortable (especially bad teeth and had to have his braces replaced a few times, poor fella). But seriously, no matter what braces you get, you'll forget they're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Shrimp wrote:
    They can make some girls, ... cute perhaps

I agree it's just something about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

some girls. then saying that, i've never been witha girl who had them so i dont know what it's like when it comes to kissin and other things..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yeh, spose cute is a more accurate description.. But I'd just come in from talking to some hot bit(h that had braces, she was like the hottest thing I've ever seen..

There's actually no difference scoring and whatnot with a girl that has braces, I expected something, but there's actually no difference..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Don't worry about getting them! I had mine for 2 years or so and love the results!
    Absolutely no diff kissing with them or without them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I agree with what has been said above. I had braces myself for two years. Initially I absolutely hated the things but soon enough they didn't bother me and I just got on with life as if I didn't have them. The results were amazing though, very much worth the two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

i had see through braces and to be honest it say go with metal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

i had see through braces and to be honest it say go with metal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I have to get braces cos my jaw is messed up. I need to line up my teeth and then I have to get reconstructive surgery on my jaw to align it. :confused:

I was freaked out by braces at first but I realised most people have em and if people think of me as any different with them on, I dont wanna know em.

Slurms wrote:
    I have to get braces cos my jaw is messed up. I need to line up my teeth and then I have to get reconstructive surgery on my jaw to align it. :confused:
    snap! getting my surgery this summer.... gonna be really sore!

Scraggs wrote:
    snap! getting my surgery this summer.... gonna be really sore!
    Well i still have to sort it all out first. I'll have to talk to you and see what it's like to go through cos I was told I'd have to go 6 weeks without solid food....that ain't cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My jaw is messed up too. It's really a-symetrical so I have an under bite on one side and an over bite on the other. It's pretty annoying but the dentist was able to fix it pretty well, with head gear and elastics. They can't fix it perfectly unless they do that op' you're talking about. For me, it'd be purely for cosmetic purposes as my teeth have been straightened so there's not much point.

• Advertisement

Slurms wrote:
    Well i still have to sort it all out first. I'll have to talk to you and see what it's like to go through cos I was told I'd have to go 6 weeks without solid food....that ain't cool

Yeah same here... its gonna be a real fun summer! [I know it'll be worth it though so I dont mind too much...]

Scraggs wrote:
    Yeah same here... its gonna be a real fun summer! [I know it'll be worth it though so I dont mind too much...]
    I'm still undecided. Its purely cosmetical, like there'll be no medical repercussions if I don't have the op done. My teeth as they are are staright its just if my jaw was fixed then they wouldn't be aligned. It seems like a lot to go through just so my lower jaw doesn't jut out as much and my upper jaw comes out a bit more. But on the other hand I would be more attractive....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I'm getting the surgery done too.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=793f506bca44f542c0b8ffccea574d7f

Here's a great resource, lots of info on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

big metal braces ftw!
    looks hot imo.

Advertisement