Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefab houses in Ireland

Options
  • 05-03-2006 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Would anyone know the names of any respectable Ireland based prefab housing companies?

I know there are some that come in from abroad but I was just wondering if there are any Irish companies.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What kind of pre fab? As in the total works?

You can get block prefab or kitted out prefab.

There is a polish company and english company that does it over here. Will have to try and find out their names (may take a while!)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are a whole bunch of timber-frame house manufacturers.

Pre-cast concrete is becoming more popular for some structures.

"Podding" is happening in certain parts of the industry, where entire bathrooms (fittings, walls, tiling, mirrors, plumbing, electrical) are manufactured off site and slotted in - of most use in hotels, student residences and the like where there is a high level of repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yeah the Tulip Airport hotel in Swords was built that way. Shot up very fast.

No names for me on prefarb housing? Im mainly thinking of prefabricated walls and roofs. I saw a place done this way then bricked up outside it. Not really concerned with kitted out prefab. Im thinking along the lines of plastered and pinned walls in one section.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Victor wrote:
    There are a whole bunch of timber-frame house manufacturers.

Pre-cast concrete is becoming more popular for some structures.

"Podding" is happening in certain parts of the industry, where entire bathrooms (fittings, walls, tiling, mirrors, plumbing, electrical) are manufactured off site and slotted in - of most use in hotels, student residences and the like where there is a high level of repeat.

The reason its done this way is cause its very cheap to build and construction times very short.

Its a good way to go.

Cant find the stuff I was talking about. There is loads of stuff on the net about it.

Advertisement