Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat brava diff,any suggestions?

Options
  • 05-03-2006 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Just found out i may need a new/second diff for my 1.2L SX 80.Just wondering if this is a big job andshould i go second hand or new?Car has 50k on the clock,would this be normal wear and tear?
    Any suggestions for cheap sources?Are these available spurious?

Kind Regards,

kieran

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A biggish job ok. Shouldn't go at 50k unless you've been racing. What are the symptoms?

No spurious parts available. Scrapper job perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi,No racing involved.I saw another guy on cbg.ie had the same problem @50k.Wonder if its a defect?

No forward or reverse gears move car.And no smell of clutch going.

Regards

kieran

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You sure it's not the gearbox or clutch gone?

No,My mechanic checked it out and reckons thats whats wrong,unfortunately.Sounds expensive!!

regards,

kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well it could be something like a broken differential circlip. I know this can happen on Renaults, not sure if it is a known problem on Fiats. The clip costs about 10p but immobilises the car if it goes. It does require a bit of dismantling to get at but it's a lot better than having to get a new diff, gearbox etc.

• Advertisement

Hi,if the clip failed this would cause immediate failure?The symptoms i had were like clutch slip.For instance 15 mins before failure when i turned the corner at roundabout so low speed,maybe 10 mph,the car felt underpowered but when i changed to third gear it was okay again.Once agiain when in low gear near mahonpoint shopping centre it was acting up.So i drove into the tesco carpart,went over a speed bump slow,and in a few seconds,nothing.

when i put into the reverse gear in kinda moved back a small bit,then nothing.

Towed the car and mechanic checked it out and reckons diff.One thing though,we jacked car up,and when reved the front wheels rotated slow,as in very very slow.
    What would that indicate?

Regards,

kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Can't answer the questions sorry as I know feck all about diffs. When AMurphy sees this thread he may be able to give more info.

The Fiat may not even use a diff circlip, it might use something else.

I'd say you won't know for sure until the mechanic takes it apart and has a good look at it. The diff is not something that should fail, especially at 50k miles in a car that hasn't been thrashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This is the same engine/gearbox combo as used in several FIATs and the drives are just pushed in - no clips except holding the CV joints on. From your description it could also be a gearbox problem but my advice would be to buy a gearbox (with diff) from a scrappies ie Traynors and fit it complete - you could stick in a fresh clutch while you are at it if it is necessary, rather than just fitting a diff. A gearbox shouldn't run to more than €140 from a scrappies - I have several but wouldn't suggest you use one of mine...

Throw a query on www.fiatform.com in the Brava forum and see if it is a common fault on them?

'cptr

Hi Interceptor,Can the diff be seperated from the gearbox easily enough?

Regards

kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gearboxes and diffs for 1.2 models are impossible to get. I had to get one 2 years ago, rang nearly every scrapyard in the country,

• Advertisement

hi colm,i hope for my sake your wrong!
    search begins today.

regards kieran

Hi Interceptor,Really getting near impossible especially around cork.All i need is the diff.Can you pm me a price as i need one asap.Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!Bloody nct on saturday.

Kind Regards,

kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The gearboxes I have are from Cinquecento Sportings, they are the same as Punto 55/60 units which may or may not be the same as the Bravo but I reckon they are. Please confirm that the Cinq Sporting diff is the same and I'll take it off this evening.

'cptr

Hi Interceptor,I just checked with grandons in cork and both pre sept o1 sportings and my brava may the same diff.
    They are emailing me the drawings and i will send them to you if thats okay for checking.Fingers crossed and Toes!!

Kind regards kieran

wonder if a Punto Sporting 6 speed box would fit....

That might be closer.The more i look into it i wonder if the gear ratios in the cinq sporting would be different than the brava?I really dont know much re.this.
    Is the punto sporting 80 bhp 16 v also?Where could i get one of these if i wanted to?
    I rang 2 fiat dealers today one said they were the same and the other said they were different than the cinq sporting and brava.

Anyone here a fiat mechanic or work a dealers who might know for sure?

regards,

kieran

the Brava engine and Punto Sporting are both 1242cc 16 valve, although the Punto engine was 6 speed. I'd presume they're the same, also this engine/6 speed gearbox combination was used for a few years in the Stilo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just noticed this thread.
    FYI There's a 1.6 1996 Bravo up here acting as a donor car to get another through the NCT. Ye olde timing belt went on it so engine is toast.

Hi all.my ex fiat mechanic has confirmed the punto sporting model up to 99/oo had the same engine,gearbox combination as long as it is 5 speed.

Anyone have one of these scrapped or knowledge of where i can get one?

regards kieran

have you considered a new car?

• Advertisement

no way.first problem in 3 years!!Always had fiats,850,128,uno,punto elx,now brava.

First major problem and if i need to go a new unit i will just trying to save a few bob

regards,

kieran

fair enuff, but you'd propbably get another Brava for similar money to a fitted gearbox. There's a guy in Carrigaline in Cork called Paul Hogan, he helped me find obscure bits when my Brava went wonky

Paul hogan is half amile from me and he hasnt anything,tried all cork,parts waterford and nothing.

Going to go bald with all this hair pulling!!!

My brava is spotless and kept clean/polished and wouldnt change it unless engine fell out!!!!

regards kieran

cool out, had a HSX before and was quite attached to it

Ya the hsx is nice ,was going to buy one instead of this one but got this nearly 2k cheaper then other cork garages when i bought it in carrigaline.

The one i looked at in fermoy had high milage and was a reps car and was driven hard.

What do you drive now?

regards kieran

I bet I know :D

I bet I know :D

something japanese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Nightshiftguy

HI,

have you got a gearbox yet?

If not drp me a pm.

I have a 1.2 bravo and have had 3 gearboxes in the last 18months.. 2 from a scrappy and one recon... THere is a fault in them. The punto ones will fit ... but are a higher gear ratio so if ur a motorway driver don't get the punto gearbox. drop me a line. might be able to help you.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

kmb wrote:
    Hi,if the clip failed this would cause immediate failure?The symptoms i had were like clutch slip.For instance 15 mins before failure when i turned the corner at roundabout so low speed,maybe 10 mph,the car felt underpowered but when i changed to third gear it was okay again.Once agiain when in low gear near mahonpoint shopping centre it was acting up.So i drove into the tesco carpart,went over a speed bump slow,and in a few seconds,nothing.

when i put into the reverse gear in kinda moved back a small bit,then nothing.

Towed the car and mechanic checked it out and reckons diff.One thing though,we jacked car up,and when reved the front wheels rotated slow,as in very very slow.
    What would that indicate?

Regards,

kieran

Sounds more like a clutch failure.
    If a gear strips, you have instant non-motion in that gear, but the others would pull OK, except for the teeth flying about and jamming other gears, so you'd have either other gears, or a locked box. which would result in no motion or like pulling against the handbrake.

Diff. center pins have been known to fall out.. however, this condition usually results in the pin sticking in teh side of the casing, which results in a locked box, or a great big hole in it.

running the engine with the wheels lifted usuall results in teh wheels turning cause the oil drags the gears around, even when disengaged. Not a valid test.

Well you have to get to box out of there anyway, irrespective of whether it is the clutch or the box. On removing the box, inspect the clutch first.
    and if it is the box, it will be easy to figure that out also, just put into each gear and turn the input shaft, see if it results in jamming, grinding/grating and unhealthy noises. If necessary hold the output shafts stationaly with some bolts or tools.

• Advertisement
Advertisement