Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much spare PC stuff do you have?

Options
  • 05-03-2006 4:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

LOL, it's pure madness i tell you! :D
    In the last year i've had some six DVD-ROM's and three burners. Right now i have a Plextor 716A, 712SA, 130A and an Asus E616A and two of these have not been used! :eek:

It's loonie the amount of PC hardware that has passed through my hands in the last two years, mobo's, GPU's, memory. I jst hate having gear laying about and even worse when the "upgrage" bug hits you :(

I've got boxes of this that and the other, fans, cables and god knows what else.
    Least i'm not as bad as some guys who literally could build four rigs from all there parts. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

meh. We've always had about the contents of a spare room of computer parts for as long as I can remember. Probably early 1990s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Flog it!
    Things is...even stuff from like 2 years ago is hard to shift, price depreciation is a b_*itch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

im talking 386s here.

38what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

38what?
    386 = really old computer!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I have 4 PSUs, 3 Cd Drives, 3 motherboards, 3 P4 cpus, 1 case, An old K6-2 system, around 6 sticks of Pc100 ram a Pentium 2 Cpu, A P1 Dell laptop, a P2 Dell laptop, a few Hdds, modems..........

Maybe i will be able to build at least 1 system out of it all:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

(I think he was joking!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I have a lot of older computer lying around, along with some other spare parts:

Few old 40GB - 80GB hard drives
    Connect3d Radeon 9700PRO
    Sapphire X800XT Platinum Edition
    1 Gig Corsair + 1 Gig Geil 3200
    Athlon XP (Barton) 3200+
    Athlon 64 (Winchester) 3200+
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    MSI K8N NEO2 PLatinum
    LG DVD/RW writer
    Sharkoon 350 Watt silent power supply
    550watt power supply + 300watt + 350 watt
    Some spare CPU + GPU water blocks
    etc.....

How much for the Winchester 3200+?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

slade x how much for the LG DVD/RW writer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

too much to list.

At a glance:

5 iMacs, 9 PC's, 5 or 6 optical drives, 15 2.5" drives about 7 or 8 3.5", a few gutted laptops all kinds of goodness here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

slade_x wrote:

is this pci-e? interested in selling if it is ? PM me :)

ive a LOAD of old pc stff lying around in drawers, boxes etc, in total i think 3 drawers and 3-4boxes full of stuff..... some of it is for sale here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054897710
    I wouldnt like to know how much computer gear passes through my hands in a year, i practically live in the computers FS section :D

15 2.5" drives /quote]

what are we talking here? below 10gig? any of them working, interested in anything over 10 gig if u are selling any ;)

gline wrote:
    15 2.5" drives /quote]

what are we talking here? below 10gig? any of them working, interested in anything over 10 gig if u are selling any ;)

I should have a couple of 20's or 30's. When ill get around to testing them is another thing though!

gline wrote:

I should have a couple of 20's or 30's. When ill get around to testing them is another thing though!

cool, im interested if u want to sell them, pm me anyway, thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    meh. We've always had about the contents of a spare room of computer parts for as long as I can remember. Probably early 1990s.
    Deja Vu.

Last night I saw some 256Kb simms.

Deja Vu.

Last night I saw some 256Kb simms.

OMG they were around when i was born :p (Middle 80's)

yea, I think I still have the whopper 1Mb upgrade from my Atari 520 STFM lying about!

its amazing the amount of junk you can accumilate in such a short space of time, i really got to do a clearout one of these days ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

How much for the Winchester 3200+?
    Sorry, im not selling it, i have clocked it to hell and back.
    slade x how much for the LG DVD/RW writer?
    Its actually an LG DVD/CD-RW combo - it can only read dvd's and write CD's, it wouldnt be really worth selling as you can pick up an actual DVD-RW/CD-RW for around €40, and its always nice to have a spare just in case
    gline wrote:
    is this pci-e? interested in selling if it is ? PM me :)

Its AGP, it like everything else, has been severely overclocked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

omg like im such a poor tenage wannabe computer freak.. i envy u guys with buckets of pc parts to throw around.... someday maybe i will live up to u guys....yes someday... *sobs uncontrollably*

please send all donations to the "i wanna hav a room ful of junk" foundation
    adress: ME!

:P

I got into computers back in the old ZX81 days and the Spectrum, from a very young age i loved computers, lol...Basic :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

slade_x wrote:
    I have a lot of older computer lying around, along with some other spare parts:

Few old 40GB - 80GB hard drives
    Connect3d Radeon 9700PRO
    1 Gig Corsair + 1 Gig Geil 3200
    Athlon XP (Barton) 3200+
    Athlon 64 (Winchester) 3200+
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    MSI K8N NEO2 PLatinum
    LG DVD/RW writer
    Sharkoon 350 Watt silent power supply
    550watt power supply + 300watt + 350 watt
    Some spare CPU + GPU water blocks
    etc.....

How much for the XP 3200 and a 40gb HDD?, We can start our own FS section in this section and trade all our scrap LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

286->386->486->Pentium->Pentium MMX -> you know the rest

I have an old 486 @ 75Mhz that i let my dad mess with. The hardrive was a cool 454MBs. I upgraded it to a 2gig:D . I upgraded the stock 8MB ram to a whopping 40mb. Surprisingly still, she runs Win98 'ok'. I upgraded 2x cdrom to a 52x Dvdrom...

Man that machine cost £1100 back in '96, and thats where it all began. And I thought it was a rocket ship, cos the machine in the classroom was a 808086 or something that ran Dos Shell.

That school thing used to have to be left on for 15mins and rebooted before it would heat up enough to complete the boot!!!! But sure thats where the love started... I used to enjoy putting in a few BASIC lines to get the speaker to squeel at 16kilohertz then at 16.5 in a siren effect to slowly give everyone a headache (nobody knew it was an almost inaudible high pitch that was doing it)
    Thems were the days.......

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

lots..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I did a clear out recently and got down to 4 machines from 7. I still have the bits for 2 full machines (excl. cases and fdds). The oldest piece of kit I have is a 5 1/4" 1.2MB FDD from 1989 - it still works :D - its grey two - would probably match my current (aluminium) kit too.

One thing that came in really handy recently was an old Aero 7 Lite (looks like a jet engine). Was never happy with the cooler and it was sitting idle for years. Needed a low profile socket A cooler, and discovered that the top jet bit clips off and it is exactly 80mm :D So I got a Zalman slim 80mm VGA cooler fan, and clipped that on instead. Have it via a Zalman Fanmate 2 turned down the lowest, the machine is almost silent and its far better than any low profile cooler I've ever came across :)
    riptide wrote:
    Man that machine cost £1100 back in '96, and thats where it all began. And I thought it was a rocket ship, cos the machine in the classroom was a 808086 or something that ran Dos Shell.

That sounds a bit dear for a 486 for that time tbh, unless it came with some bells and whistles! I was routing thru' some old (paper)files this morning and found an invoice for a PC I bought on the August 14th 1996. It was a p1-133 and afair with 15" screen. It was basically a full machine without a CDROM (I had a 4 speed drive eagerly waiting to be put into it) - and it cost IR£1,016.40.

D.

Brings back memories.

dazberry wrote:

That sounds a bit dear for a 486 for that time tbh, unless it came with some bells and whistles! I was routing thru' some old (paper)files this morning and found an invoice for a PC I bought on the August 14th 1996. It was a p1-133 and afair with 15" screen. It was basically a full machine without a CDROM (I had a 4 speed drive eagerly waiting to be put into it) - and it cost IR£1,016.40.

D.
    I remember exactly. Cos I had saved £600 and my family donated the balance £500. It was bought in the Compustore in Wexford town. I was probably robbed a little at that price.... it was a Packard Bell. it was a pity actually cos I only had it when the Pentiums came out. Things seemed to move a little faster in the mid-late 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

riptide wrote:
    I remember exactly. Cos I had saved £600 and my family donated the balance £500. It was bought in the Compustore in Wexford town. I was probably robbed a little at that price.... it was a Packard Bell. it was a pity actually cos I only had it when the Pentiums came out. Things seemed to move a little faster in the mid-late 90's.

Actually that probably wasn't too bad (beyond the Compustore premium) in that I'm sure you got the full kit with the machine. I didn't get a sound card or CDROM for instance, as I had them already, didn't get any software either. I went to AIB for a 1K loan to buy the thing, paid it off over a year. Also managed to get £50 off by claiming it was for a work client and we were reselling it - I was such a chancer ;)

D.

Advertisement