Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much spare PC stuff do you have?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Yep... There was/is a soundcard with it. it was ready to use on plug in when i got home and a good bit of software came with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

If anyone, in all of there hoards of gear, has a socket A mobo they don't want please pm me as i needs to get my hands on one fairly soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Anyone have an old AT?

The power button on those had 240V mains power running through it.

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

TomCo wrote:
    Anyone have an old AT?

Ouch.

I just checked and your right, how were they allowed get away with that. As for me, I have only been into computers for just over a year and already my room is full of old parts. Besides my main rig I have an assortment of crap fans, heatsinks, propriotory cases and mobos, an old At 133 I use to kick when im pissed off at my rig and a dell ???? that may or may not run. I havnt bothered to check yet. That is if you can find them :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TomCo wrote:
    Anyone have an old AT?

Ouch.
    Just like the power button on every non-electronic device.

When it's on it's on, and when it's off it's off. No autopower on when changing a card. None of this power button not working because of a software crash. ZERO watts power usage when turned off etc. Zero fire risk when turned off. A lot to be said for it

• Advertisement

TomCo wrote:
    Anyone have an old AT?

Ouch.
    Just like an electric kettle!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Picture a full steel case with bad positioning on the power switch. You could easly knock it out and onto the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

my first was a 286, LOL
    i remember that, it was sweet at the time, 20meg hdd + 256k memory i think, no ram, no cd, no sound, 16 colours hehehe made by WANG, LOL
    ah the memories, playing prince of persia and the time you were able to EXIT out of windows (3.0) into dos, hahahah

This is getting akin to, "So how did you loose your virginity?"

riptide wrote:
    This is getting akin to, "So how did you loose your virginity?"

LOL "when did you first use your floppy", hahahaha

• Advertisement

gline wrote:
    LOL "when did you first use your floppy", hahahaha
    Well to answer the question, I used to use the 5 1/4 in ones in school as frisbies and cut the heads off guys in the class. They actually had great aero dynamics and you could bend them and get a flight path out of them.... and if you were really good you could get it such a way that the corner would hit someone in the cheek!

riptide wrote:
    Well to answer the question, I used to use the 5 1/4 in ones in school as frisbies and cut the heads off guys in the class. They actually had great aero dynamics and you could bend them and get a flight path out of them.... and if you were really good you could get it such a way that the corner would hit someone in the cheek!
    hahahaha , we used to use them in school too but not throwing them ;)

gline wrote:
    hahahaha , we used to use them in school too but not throwing them ;)
    Well our school spent more money on gyms for the football/hurling team and nothing on computers hardly. I could count on 1 hand the amount of PCs in the place... and that was a school of 600/700. And the ones that were there, we didn't get to use much... and i remember my best friend formatted one of the harddrives after I told him to impress the teacher with this 'special' command for the craic and the teacher went bannanas. ... so you can see why not a lot of interest was put into PCs with guys like us around...

riptide wrote:
    Well our school spent more money on gyms for the football/hurling team and nothing on computers hardly. I could count on 1 hand the amount of PCs in the place... and that was a school of 600/700. And the ones that were there, we didn't get to use much... and i remember my best friend formatted one of the harddrives after I told him to impress the teacher with this 'special' command for the craic and the teacher went bannanas. ... so you can see why not a lot of interest was put into PCs with guys like us around...

hahaha computer smart people in schools then was rare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

anyone have those horrid nework-based token-ring RM nimbus'? They were awful, easy enough to hack though ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

krazy_8s wrote:
    Picture a full steel case with bad positioning on the power switch. You could easly knock it out and onto the metal.
    That's one of the reasons metal cases are earthed.
    Alternatively Compo :D

That's one of the reasons metal cases are earthed.
    Alternatively Compo :D
    Alternatively Funeral

Advertisement