Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to buy oil

Options
  • 05-03-2006 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭

I have bought oil from Halfords before but I probably paid too much for it as a lot of things in that shop are overpiced. So can anyone recommend somewhere in dublin or the midlands that is cheaper. I will try GSF car parts and see what they have. Anyone know roughly what I should be paying for 5 litres of semi-synthetic eg GTX Magnatec or similar.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I bought a batch of oil from Opie oils [www.opieoils.co.uk] a few months back in a group buy. It was about 1/2 the price of Halfords.
    Buying it on your own as opposed to a group buy should still save money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Does it still work out cheaper even shipping to Ireland? I've bought plugs and filters from them before, but I always thought the weight of the oil would mean that the shipping would cancel out any savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

kbannon wrote:
    I bought a batch of oil from Opie oils

seems very pricey to me , i bought about 50 liters of 5w fully synt oil from lenwoods before they shut for peanuts.
    try a good motorfactor like tallaght auto parts, should have what u need for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

From an oil company?

Most of those companies that deliver home heating oil and diesel also do engine oil. I dont service my car, but for the tractors I buy Castrol 10W30 by the barrel from the local agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thanks for the replies. I went and priced some oil from a motor factors. GTX Magnatec semi synth 10w40 ACEA A3 was around 29 euros. Duckhams semi synth 10w40 ACEA A3 was a good bit cheaper at 19 euros.

The site that kbannon posted seems to mainly sell higher end, fully synth oils. My car is in no way high performance and doens't need these oils. TBH I think people waste their money by putting synthetic oils in family cars - unless of course the manufacturer recommends it.

What I know is - my car's service book recommends 18,000 mile oil change intervals if an ACEA A1 or A3 oil is used or 10,000 miles if an A2 oil is used. There are recommendations as regards viscosities but there is no mention anywhere of having to use mineral, semi synth or synth. As a precaution I am using an A3 semi synth but changing it at the A2 interval.

Strangely enough I have a carton of Castrol GTX mineral oil here and it says ACEA A2 on it - but on Castrol's website it says this oil is an A3 spec. Maybe it has been improved. If it does meet the A3 spec the it would appear that good old GTX is suitable for 18,000 mile change intervals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i believe thinner oils have lower frictional losses and therefore save fuel in addition to cutting down wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 grk_car

BrianD3, did you check GSF about their oil? How much did they charge you?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another old thread dug up by grk_car to promote GSF!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement