Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death by Consultation .Comreg set out to wreck VoIP market

Options
  • 05-03-2006 5:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

No number portability proposal, what kind of joke it this ??:(

Buttsy spun out some guff saying that Comreg were yadda yadda "progress"

While the initial VoIP regulation philosophy was to my mind one of the few proposals that reflected favourably on Comreg as a regulator , their 'mid life review does not. It is so weak that they should not have bothered.

Give us clean clear number portability or nothing.

read the rest here and wonder (as did I) why they bothered with this ??? ....apart from assuaging their new Aussie mates maybe :mad:

Objections may be registered online here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Hi Spnge Bob,

Read through the document!!! I am not sure exactly what they are saying, but there does not seem to be anything significant here to what is alread ybeing offered. Am I missing something ?

I just wish they would tackle Eircom on the number porting issue. 8 weeks is a ridiculous timescale to port your number to voip, and seems to me to be just eircom being awkward and disruptive to customers that they have overcharged and fleeced for so long before they decided to cut ties completely and go VOIP.

Wexfordman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its all about porting, despite the guff at the beginning of page 20 we are not entitled to port to a VoIP operator unless they are a PATS operator and nor will we be after this crap. :(

No VoIP operators are PATS operators , nor can they afford to be what with some of the mandatory costs that come with 112 access because the 'standard equipment' to so do costs an arm and a leg and is supplied by guess who ???

Numbers should be portable full stop .

Longer thread in VoIP forum here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Objections may be registered online here
    Life is too short to waste time on this link... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Sponge Bob wrote:
    No VoIP operators are PATS operators , nor can they afford to be what with some of the mandatory costs that come with 112 access because the 'standard equipment' to so do costs an arm and a leg and is supplied by guess who ???

I managed to get one of my old ISDN numbers ported to Blueface VoIP

According to Aaron at blueface it wouldn't be a problem and indeed when the time came it wasn't (barring some lost paperwork)

AFAIK I was one of the first to get this done and that was back in march/april last year.

Effectively I have a VoIP number, Non geographic number and geographic (old ISDN number) all pointing at my VoIP

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Its all about porting, despite the guff at the beginning of page 20 we are not entitled to port to a VoIP operator unless they are a PATS operator and nor will we be after this crap. :(

Numbers should be portable full stop .

Why would the regulator still buy into the emergency call nonsense? Does not the same regulator again and again enthuse about our high mobile penetration uptake. The mobile is the emergency call apparatus.

Just another stupid way to hobble VOIP with relics from yesteryear.
    Would suit Eircom of course.
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I would tend to disagree. I see no real reason why telephony should be dumbed down with the advent of VoIP. These services can surely be made available in a cost-effective way across all platforms? My landline phone works practically 100% of the time. My mobile does not (it's usually low on battery if nothing else) and my VoIP connection is flakey. It seems prudent to have as many options as possible if the **** hits the fan. I've called 999 a few times and I don't want some cost cutting or terms buried in a T&C to stand between me and an ambulance when I need it.

ComReg's consultation notes that the existing ECS don't have much of an issue with it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A local cell can "overload" with calls quickly and a landline still work in some kinds of disasters/emergencies. VOIP could be better than it is and should have a madatory minimum QOS.

Can you operate your VOIP without mains? It is possible, but unlike mobile or landline up to individual to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Watty,

Emergency calls get priority over normal calls when a local cell is congested. I do think voip should be approached from a point of view of tryinh to acheive the same level of reliability as LL, especially with regards to emergewncy numbers though.

Wexfordman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

I have read nothing except the title and all i can say is the irish are IDIOTS!
    if they think they can regulate VOIP

you might as well bundle in online radio in to this catagory too...

ITS NETWORK TRAFFIC
    ITS HOW THE INTERNET WORKS

and its no geographic

this is like the idiotic speal i heared about the gov(sorry i mean arse wipes)
    considering implementing levies on E MAIL???
    WTF!?

Look lads in this country ignorance is bliss
    turn off the telly
    turn off the radio
    close your doors and Fk them all to hell
    your waisting your time trying to educate these IDIOTS!
    it will be another 100 years before this country gets out of it ****
    either that or someone will start a revolution against this stagnated and oppressive country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Have you anything constructive to offer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

thats it...

I've aready been there, bought the t shirt

Advertisement