Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Solution?

• 05-03-2006 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

I want to get feedback from the experts in this forum.... I have just bought a new house, and I want to be able to do the following:

I want to have an office upstairs (where my PC will be). I want to be able to access my PC downstairs via my TV.

- I want to be able to watch movie files/play MP3s on my TV (files stored on my PC).
    - I want to be able to use a wireless keyboard/mouse downstairs.

What are my options? Setting up a network shouldn't be a problem. Since its a new house, I can do wiring if need be, but I would prefer a wireless solution. If I have to buy some kind of set-top box, then so be it. Recommendations appreciated.....

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

A wireless Tv sender out of teh back of a All in Wonder or VIVo graphics card would be the easiest with bluetooth mouse and KB.

Otherwise a really long S Video cable from PC to Tv. That would eb the easiest and cheapest, im sure theres far more expensive options :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks kdjac. I have a spare digisender. I must check what ports are on my graphics card. Bluetooth keyboard/mouse sounds like a good idea too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

whats your budget?

a Windows Media Center with Xbox360 in living room setup could be ideal if funds allow, or you could also look into the free MediaPortal software. Search this forum for details of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you just want to watch your movies and listen to your mp3's served from your pc then get yourself a kiss wifi divx dvd player.

http://www.kiss-technology.com/

i have the basic dp-1500 model which plays most of my stuff, but the server side application is a bit weak, so i switched to EZLink NG (http://www.ezlinkng.com/) and i haven't looked back since.

I also have a media centre PC, so the other option might be to put Windows MCE on your PC and buy a second hand xbox and use it as a media centre extender to access all your stuff from your main MCE PC on the xbox as if it were stored locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Or get a TV with a direct PC in DVI socket, thats what I ended up having to do, and it is great ;) .

P.:cool:

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    Or get a TV with a direct PC in DVI socket, thats what I ended up having to do, and it is great ;) .

Whats the max length of thsoe cables?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

KdjaC wrote:
    Whats the max length of thsoe cables?

kdjac

I bought a cheap new CPU from Dell, and just plugged it in to the sitting room LCD 26", in order to save me messing with cables.

Have not got around to networking the sitting room CPU with my bedroom computer set-up yet, as I am so comfortable using a wireless keyboard and mouse from my favourite comfy armchair.:)

Paddy20 wrote:

Have not got around to networking the sitting room CPU with my bedroom computer set-up yet,

2 wireless dongles prefab;y Cable and Wireless and you got a simple wireless network going on there.

kdjac

Advertisement