Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Best quality capture card?

• 05-03-2006 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I've been using a WinTV PVR 350 for about a year now, and while ive finally found a driver/WinTV2000 combo thats stable, i havent been able to sort out a ghosting issue. I've tried every driver combination out there.

I'm looking for a card that records in Stereo, records in DVD-quality , and has as close to zero ghosting as possible.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭krissrodriguez

are U trying to record tv programs, or from other sources?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

gs39t,

I have the pvr-250 and use WinTVCap (which is free) to capture the mpeg stream (via svideo) because it gives you access to alot more settings that can be changed when capturing. Then edit the captured mpeg with either Mpeg VCR or VideoRedo. You can then burn your DVD compliant mpeg with the software of your choice (including Movie Factory). If your source is good, you shouldn't have any ghosting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

like the other folks said, its depends on what you are capturing. If you are converting the likes of VHS or video8, a philips or ATI based "frame grabber" card will give the best results. For tasks like this, its best to avoid the MPEG2\PVR route.

This way you can use huffy which is an almost lossless coded to capture the source video for editing later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

I'm recording straight from my NTL box with a SCART>S-video cable in. The machine im using is dedicated, 3GHz /512mb machine.

I'm not sure how these things you guys mentioned would effect ghosting though ? :confused:

I record using WinTV2000 as i said, and edit the files with TMPGenc express

Thanks

Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

gs39t,

The settings offered by WinTV2000 are very limited in comparison to WinTVCap. Try it out and play with the settings to see if you can improve things. Also, just to make sure its not a fault with the scart cable, you could try connecting your NTL box to the PVR-350 by coax - thats if the NTL box has RF out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement