Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDowell Speaks In Irish To Introduce Phone Tapping Measures

Options
  • 05-03-2006 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

From the front of the Tribune:
    "McDowell reveals phone tap bill in Irish JUSTICE minister Michael McDowell took the unusual step of speaking in Irish in the Seanad to introduce controversial measures."

http://www.tribune.ie

Not sure if the Digital Rights org was paying attention but you've got to admire McDowell's style. Most of the technology journalists who would have been covering these issues probably can't speak or read Irish so this would have floated right by them. Which was a shame really because this was exactly the kind of thing that they had been looking for all these years. (with apologies to Douglas Adams)

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I thank my lucky stars that that scumbag is TD for the area I currently live in and am registered to vote in.

I'm not normally political but some of the stunts he has pulled really p*ss me off. Such as releasing that false passport application. Whether or not he was acting in the public interest is of no consequence. He blatantly abused his power in doing so and I don't see how he can be trusted after that.

Also his dealing with the Il Mondo night club seemed pretty shady. People all over Ireland live near night clubs and have to deal with rowdy punters. Why should he get special treatment?

I haven't heard the details of this act and from what i have heard it was published only in Irish. It would seem to sound like a diluted version of the Patriot Act which was a hot topic in the states over the summer. This was a pretty low stunt and I don't know how he thought he would get away with it.

Last election he quite rudely doorstepped me for not registering to vote. I am glad I am registered to vote this time and I may even help campaign for some of his credible opposition (not SF).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm sure I will get abuse for this, but this little stunt inspired me to join Fine Gael yesterday. Roll on Spring 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

ballooba wrote:
    I'm sure I will get abuse for this, but this little stunt inspired me to join Fine Gael yesterday. Roll on Spring 2007.

McDowell may be an intensely annoying individual, but I dont think there is any malice in him speaking Irish. It was only the Seanad, an English copy of the speech was circulated and the actual Bill is available for download from the Oireachtas website.

It would be a mistake to think our laws at present are a whole lot better than the "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act"

On a related note did anyone see John O'Donoghue's obnoxious performance on television last night in relation to the FOI Act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

All very well to speak as Gaelige but it also means that there will be no immediate reporting of the contents of the bill in the media and little public debate. Was there anything controversial in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭tunaman

BrianD wrote:
    Was there anything controversial in it?

Minister McDowell outlined plans to allow other European countries to intercept Irish telephone conversations, text messages and emails without requiring the permission of authorities in Ireland,in the Irish language.

As everybody can see there really was no reason for him to speak in Irish.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭theking

BrianD wrote:
    Was there anything controversial in it?

I've written a brief discussion on the bill here

Advertisement