Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying a car in ireland with english plates?

Options
  • 05-03-2006 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi - I recently purchased a car which i do not want to break as it is too nice - it would take a bit of money and time but i would love to make her like new.
    the thing is when purchased the guy just handed me a v615 form as thats all he had. Its on English plates i would like to register and legally own it. It was not tranferred from his name to my name so i suppose technically it is his -does anyone have any advice on how to get it in to my name and all legit so to speak - i know i should of thought of this first but i was dead set on breaking the car till i saw it.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Apply to the DVLA in Swansea using a V756 form. It is downloadable from their website. They will send you the form you need to produce in the Vehicle registration office here.
    I know a lad who went to the VRO and filled out the forms for a VW GTi he bought up the north. They didn't ask him for anything. Could have been stolen. Worth a try maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jasperok wrote:
    Its on English plates i would like to register and legally own it

To get it on Irish plates, you will have to pay VRT too unless it is over 30 years old. If it is not that old, but of little value, the minimum amount you have to pay is €315

Ah spotted your other post here. So it's an '87 BMW 325i Sport. From your post I take it it's in bits, so you'd very likely get away with paying the minimum €315 VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its difficult to do (the selling of a car on UK plates), I have a 300zx for sale on UK plates, got no calls, so payed the vrt, and i got 3 calls straight away. I think people are afraid of encountering difficult paperwork complications.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    Ah spotted your other post here. So it's an '87 BMW 325i Sport. From your post I take it it's in bits, so you'd very likely get away with paying the minimum €315 VRT
    erm no!
    If it is down as a sport then the OP could expect VRT of about 3 grand. These cars have become increasingly popular in recent years and the VRT has skyrocketed.
    The fact that it is in bits could change things but Im doubting that it is in very many bits.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    The fact that it is in bits could change things but Im doubting that it is in very many bits.

Well if it's going to take a year or two to do up, I wouldn't say it's in top condition:
    jasperok wrote:
    a restoration project so maybe no need to insure for a year or two
    kbannon wrote:
    These cars have become increasingly popular in recent years and the VRT has skyrocketed

Yes very popular and probably on its way to becoming a classic soon. Does the VRT really follow the market that closely?
    kbannon wrote:
    the OP could expect VRT of about 3 grand. These cars have become increasingly popular in recent years and the VRT has skyrocketed

€3k VRT means the car has an open market selling price of €10k. This cannot be right even if the car is in good condition, which it isn't. Would €10k not get you a half decent E30 M3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

Actually its not in bits at all at all -

i drove it form limerick to the west coast no hassle last week (i was insured but not taxed due to it being the day of purchase?)- mechanically perferct too.
    still the paint is badly faded thoiugh
    there is a touch of rust on two arches
    the steering rack in gone
    the drivers seat has a bad tear.

worst of all though it has bad sills though confirmed today.

so you are looking at a complete strip restructure respray rebuild job. I would like to do it to show room spec over a few years but the sills have put me off -

i will have to look for something a little more structually sound.

thanks for your replies though.

i did ring vrt and they said they will send me a form that change of ownership will in essence be done with vrt.

i think its 89/90/91 sports are getting caught out with the 1600 vrt - as far as i know a 160000 mile 87 sport id likely to be 700 max.

still on the day you never know aye?

The VRT crowd seem to be just jumping on the phrase 325i sport. there is more demand for the later (post 87) E30s though so hopefully yours works out cheaper.

The VRT on 325i sports has gone mental purely because of the demand.
    According to this the VRT on a 1994 E36 M3 has jumped from €1000 to €3500.
    According to this...
    A buddy went to clear his Soarer and the VRT had gone from €800 to €1,400 in a couple of days. He had the original VRT printout so can appeal but he was a bit miffed obviously.

Anyway, he said how can it just jump so significantly for no reason, and another staff member piped up that the site is monitored and if a specific model gets alot of hits in a period it's flagged and more often than not the VRT adjusted upward due to interest.

My buddy said he hit the site regularly for months as he was figuring out what model etc to get and the VRT lad said "it's your own fault so!"

Interesting stuff, k. Hard to believe though that the VRT would go up or down depending on how many times a particular car would be entered on to the website tbh.

Also a '87 E30 325 sport can hardly be worth anywhere near a '94 E36 M3? :confused:

The €3k VRT for the M3 does not seem to be that unreasonable compared to other cars

The E36 prices have been steadily increasing as they have become within the reach of many younger importers and therefore as demand in increasing so too does VRT.
    Maybe the VRT on the 325iSport has decreased as the rates go up an down loke a prozzies knickers. However, the 325isport came with an LSD and is excellent for drifting which has helped increase its popularity. The price I quoted seems to be for a top notch machine with poorer quality ones demanding about a grand less in VRT. However, many VRT victims claim that the VRT staff never looked at the car so...
    I also tried contacting a number of different VROs and never got talking to anyone :(

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    the 325isport came with an LSD

Don't all E30 M3s and E36 M3s come with LSD too? Still can't see how an E30 '87 325i sport can be worth the same as any M3 (either E30 or E36) in similar condition, but I might be wrong :)

I asked someone who imports cars annually and he says it is now about €16-1800 so Im way off. I do recall hearing that it was now in the €3k range for the sport though so I don't know what is really what!
    Part of the problem I think was people advertising them for up to 10k which the revenue jumped on. The cars may not have sold for this amount but try telling that to the VRO!
    If you look on the autotrader site there are loads of E30s going for up to €7700 & the VRO monitor these prices. There is also a nice one on CBG in Celbridge going for 6.5k.
    I know these realise a lower VRT figure but I de recall hearing 3.5k somewhere in the last few months (so Im still clutching at straws)!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can calculate the VRT on the revenue site here:

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

E30 BMW 325i Sports are not listed on the VRT site - their VRT rates are decided when the car is brought into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Sorry to hijack the thread,but I have a similar question :o

So there's an Ibiza Cupra R here in Ireland on UK plates.The owner haven't used it for a while,no tax etc.The car is in Dublin,I'm in Cork.So how can I drive it to Cork(if I buy it...)being not insured myself either (I never owned a car in Ireland so far) ?What kind of papers I need from the seller?Or is this too dodgy,so leave it :) ?

The car will not be taxed or insured? Does it have a valid MoT?
    I doubt you will get far with it!

Advertisement