Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend me water cooling (noob)

Options
  • 05-03-2006 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

as the title suggest !! never did this before and would like to push my lovely 4800 furhter than 2.8!
    1. Must be easy to instal
    2. Not to expensive
    3. My mobo is Asus A8n Delux

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Freezer 64 pro

Get one of em.. cools as good as any low budget WC setup n it costs about €20-25...

Should lower ur temps by about 15-18c over the referance cooler...

Failing that ur looking at something like the gigabyte wc setup(€139 at peats) Which will do the same job but cost more...

Budjet water cooling wont really cut it espec with the latest HSF's these days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

What cooler do you have at the moment, for the sake of comparison ?

If it's not something great, you'd probably get the same results out of an thermaltake Big Typhoon or a XP-120 with a decent fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Budget?

I've plenty of money !! ;-)

no really one you've tested not fantasised about :D

unklerosco wrote:
    Freezer 64 pro

Get one of em.. cools as good as any low budget WC setup n it costs about €20-25...

Should lower ur temps by about 15-18c over the referance cooler...

Failing that ur looking at something like the gigabyte wc setup(€139 at peats) Which will do the same job but cost more...

Budjet water cooling wont really cut it espec with the latest HSF's these days..

cool any thoughts on the Zalamn 9500 LED?

deamon i'm using the AMD standard cooler with the chip ! still stable at 2.8 but gets hot !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As UnkleRosco has said, if it's low end water cooling, then a good heatsink and fan will give the same results and will cost you a lot less. The 9500 is pretty much the best air cooler you can get and it looks savage. The XP120 is damn good as well, and it's very quiet with a decent fan, but there are compatability issues.

The Gigabyte solution gets very positive reviews, it's effective and cheap and easy to install.
    The Zalman Reserator is easy to install and very quiet, though not the best for overclocking.
    The Coolermaster Aquagate is about as basic as it gets, does an ok job and is as easy as pie to install.

Just don't go down the Thermaltake road. (BTW - did you get that CD yet?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

check out www.custompc.co.uk...

Go to there "labs" section... They did a roundup of a load of HSF's recently.. The Freezer 64 came out on top. Zalman 9500 is good but then again its about €65. The freezer does the same job n is cheap as chips.. well about 10 bags of chips ;-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Oculusdei

i got the zalman reserator plus. its not the cheapest but man does it do a good job. I have it cooling my 4400+ X2 and two 7800 GTs in SLi - northbridge on my Asus a8n Premium has a heatpipe. I dont overclock, i bought it for quietness. One word of warning - it comes with an on/off switch so make sure its on before turning on your machine, i forgot once for aboutr 3 hours, luckily the machine was just idle and it didnt cause any probs.

When you open the box it looks complicated to get setup but to be honest its not that bad, set aside a good 3 hours to do it though (depending on if you're doing gfx cards too).

Oculusdei

eo980 wrote:
    As UnkleRosco has said, if it's low end water cooling, then a good heatsink and fan will give the same results and will cost you a lot less. The 9500 is pretty much the best air cooler you can get and it looks savage. The XP120 is damn good as well, and it's very quiet with a decent fan, but there are compatability issues.

The Gigabyte solution gets very positive reviews, it's effective and cheap and easy to install.
    The Zalman Reserator is easy to install and very quiet, though not the best for overclocking.
    The Coolermaster Aquagate is about as basic as it gets, does an ok job and is as easy as pie to install.

Just don't go down the Thermaltake road. (BTW - did you get that CD yet?)

Never got it mate ! :-(

unklerosco wrote:
    check out www.custompc.co.uk...

Go to there "labs" section... They did a roundup of a load of HSF's recently.. The Freezer 64 came out on top. Zalman 9500 is good but then again its about €65. The freezer does the same job n is cheap as chips.. well about 10 bags of chips ;-p

well the proice of chip in Leo Burdock lately about 2 bag would pay for it !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Im using xp120 and it does a great job, if you want to go watercooling, then a custom setup is the only real way to go, buying all the stuff seperatly from www.alphcool.de or the likes.

gline wrote:
    Im using xp120 and it does a great job, if you want to go watercooling, then a custom setup is the only real way to go, buying all the stuff seperatly from www.alphcool.de or the likes.

Gline some reviews says it hard to install the XP120, can it be installed without taking out the mobo? (its all nice and neat and I'm fooked if I gonna take it all out again :p)

Also is it beter than the Artic Pro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Drapper wrote:
    Gline some reviews says it hard to install the XP120, can it be installed without taking out the mobo? (its all nice and neat and I'm fooked if I gonna take it all out again :p)

i instaled it without removing mobo....if your mobo has the decent backing plate, u can just unscrew the top part of the hsf holder and put the one on that comes with the xp120

i think it is gigabyte ones that u have to buy a seperate backing plate.

TBH mate with watercooling you are almost certainly going to have to take out the mobo and with most aircoolers

Zalman 95000 LED was recommended on Custompc.ie and a few other sites so I've ordered one from Overclockers.co.uk ! Its a big barstand but it will take the heat from the GFX ect inside in the PC too I hope!! ;-)

I'll let you's know how it goes....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Drapper wrote:

tbh if you can't be arsed taking out your motherboard to install a cooler watercooling is just not for you. Theres going to be a hell of a lot worse than taking out your motherboard involved in setting up a full WC system.

tbh if you can't be arsed taking out your motherboard to install a cooler watercooling is just not for you. Theres going to be a hell of a lot worse than taking out your motherboard involved in setting up a full WC system.

only just did it and as I've said I'm a noob :-) take tooo much time !!!!

/edit Overclockers are the cheapest for coolers next to komplett !! but I've to send 2 pieces of ID strange but cheap as chip so no worries!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Flucking postbay in work never sent it!!!! I popped it in the post today, though you've probably already sorted it out by this stage.

eo980 wrote:
    Flucking postbay in work never sent it!!!! I popped it in the post today, though you've probably already sorted it out by this stage.

Thanks mate its not me bu the misses who needs it !! the H10 software is what she needs!!!

Advertisement