Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Don't bring babies into bed, parents warned

Options
  • 05-03-2006 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/7534449?view=Eircomnet
    Don't bring babies into bed, parents warned
    Sunday, 5th March, 2006

Babies who share their parents' beds are more likely to suffer cot death, researchers at one of the State's children's hospitals said today.

A study by experts at Temple Street Children's University Hospital found 49 per cent of infants who died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome had been sharing a bed with an adult.

Professor Tom Matthews, head of the national SIDS register at Temple Street, urged mothers and fathers to heed the warning.

"We cannot assert that bed sharing causes SIDS but the statistics reveal a significantly increased amount of risk to infants who do so," the professor said.

"Several studies have indicated that the associated risk of bed sharing applies only to younger babies and babies whose parents smoke, but recent data suggests that even among non-smokers, bed sharing increases the SIDS risk in younger infants."

Professor Matthews said 37 per cent of cases may have been prevented if there was no bed-sharing.

The study also revealed that in the majority of SIDS cases found bed-sharing, 87 per cent had mothers who smoked during pregnancy.

It noted that it is widely accepted that parents who smoke and who have taken drink or drugs, should not share a bed with young infants.

A new website has been launched with recommendations on how to minimise the risk of cot death, and Prof Matthews urged expectant mothers and parents of new born babies to visit www.sidsireland.ie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't smoke and didnt drink as I was breast feeding and co slept with mine until they were 6mnths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I have read so many contradicting articles about everything to do with child rearing, co-cleeping is yet another one that you can find reems about either pro or against depending on your own viewpoint.....

Our son co-sleeps with us from time to time, but then we neither smoke nor drink.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

but recent data suggests that even among non-smokers, bed sharing increases the SIDS risk in younger infants."

It seems that the risk is increased even if you don't smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

A study by experts at Temple Street Children's University Hospital found 49 per cent of infants who died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome had been sharing a bed with an adult.

Eh, doesn't this mean that 51% died when they were sleeping on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But babies spend much more that 51% of their time asleep alone.

• Advertisement

I thought the stat read that 51% of babies who died of SIDS were sleeping alone...not that it was the percentage of time they slept alone.....which by my reckoning makes co-sleeping the safer option by 2% - yet the report claims babies are more likely to die from SIDS when they share?! Am I reading that incorrectly? :confused::o

How on earth do they do these studies anyway? How could you possibly know if a child was going to die of SIDS anyway? Or that if they had been sleeping on their own they would have lived? I don't understand these studies at all - they seem to be claiming to know the impossible....37% of cases may have been prevented? How can that even be claimed to be a fact?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I think the survey is saying that a small proportion of infants die of SIDS. Of these infants, almost half were sharing a bed (47%), ie almost half of SIDS cases were in their parents bed. There are undoubtedly a lot more infants who share a bed with parents and do not die from SIDS but if the child was at risk of SIDS (if the mother smoked during pregnancy - mentioned in report), then sharing a bed increases the risk. I presume the 37% of cases that could have been prevented means babies whose mother's smoked during pregnancy or parents who had been drinking or taking drugs. I think the authors are saying that if these babies had been in their own cot then they may not have died. SIDS however means "Sudden Infant Death Syndrome" and as the name says, it's sudden and can't be predicted. If the babies had been in their own cot they may still have died (and in half the cases the baby was in their own cot). The authors are simply saying that there does seem to be a link and why share a bed with a baby if so. I know I could never sleep properly with my daughter in the bed, firstly because of worries over rolling over on her or SIDS when she was small (this link has been known for a while), and now because she takes over the bed whenever she decides to join us in the middle of the night!

This is really interesting......I have read so many articles that advocate co-sleeping by stating infants more at risk from SIDS have sleep disorders and arousal during sleep problems, the parental breathing acts as a pacemaker & ensures the infant doesn't get into such a deep sleep that apnea, etc, is an issue......now someone is saying just the opposite, lol! Bet in 10yrs we'll all be told to put babies to sleep on their tummies and wrapped up well! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

People actually sleep in a bed with their babies? Why would you do that in the first place??? All babies I know were in cribs or whatever - thought that was normal.:confused:

Why would you not ?
    I started with mine while in the hospital we'd both fall asleep after breast feeding in the middle of the night, the baby would fall asleep on my chest listening to my heart beat as as soon as s/he stirred I would wake.
    Co sleeping was the norm for 100s of years.

• Advertisement

simu wrote:
    People actually sleep in a bed with their babies? Why would you do that in the first place??? All babies I know were in cribs or whatever - thought that was normal.:confused:

Most mothers/parents I know co-sleep or have co-slept at some stage....it is by far the easiest way to get some sleep if you breastfeed and since babs just spent 9months hearing my heartbeat & knowing I was close, he (& therefor we) always sleep much better when in the bed together.....I think cribs go back to victorian times & shunting your child off to a wet nurse, don't they?

I did use a moses basket/crib which was right beside the bed as well and babies spend a fair ammount of time in that as well but I found once they woke for feeds suring the night they settle better in the bed with me and the warmth and smell and heart beat they are familuar with.

Well, not the thing for me tbh. A crib beside the bed seems safer. Couldn't relax in case I'd crush the kid or sth! And as for missing my heartbeat... meh, life isn't a garden of roses, they'll have to get used to it at some stage!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

simu wrote:
    Well, not the thing for me tbh. A crib beside the bed seems safer. Couldn't relax in case I'd crush the kid or sth!
    If it is on your side of the bed I think it is fairly safe from crushing. :)
    I would have my baby close at an early age, simply out of worry I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fififi

Must say, I'm with Thaydael. I breast fed for the first 18 months, not full time for the last while, but found dd slept brilliantly and I felt perfectly secure with her in the bed. Even now she's nearly 7, she comes into my bed most nights. Doesn't bother me but I'm sure if there ever ends up being a man in my bed things will have to change!!:D

If it is on your side of the bed I think it is fairly safe from crushing. :)

Yeah, but nesf on the other hand... :)

Well, different things work for different people, I guess.

well womens elbows are hinged differntly for the purpose of holding and cradling babies and they sleep really well in the crook of you arm in the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

I have to say is each to their own and the real expert is Mother's Instinct. You will know what's best for your baby and you. I also feel that lots of these studies do contradict each other so do what suits you. As Theadyal said co-sleeping suited her as she was breastfeeding so it worked for her. I read a bit about attachment parenting and it seems this is what they encourage. Personally I never smoked and my babies spent a good bit of time in my bed. I loved the closeness and them sleeping on my chest. You kind've are in sync with them and as long as you're not drinking or on medication I think its safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

fififi wrote:
    Even now she's nearly 7, she comes into my bed most nights. Doesn't bother me but I'm sure if there ever ends up being a man in my bed things will have to change!!:D

That's why I wouldn't be in favour of sleeping with the baby. For the first couple of months is one thing, but after that they sleep a lot better and are less clingy if they have to get used to sleeping by themselves. I also think it's as much an emotional crutch for some parents as it is something that they do for the benefit of their kids.

Mine co slept but at the age of 18 mnth they were out of the cot and out of my room and into a bed and their own rooms.

Neither of them are in the habit of coming and sleeping in my bed
    they only come in to me if they are ill or for snuggles on a saturday morning when there is no school.

• Advertisement

Yep, my son now sleeps in a cot, only comes into our bed now once in a blue moon - sleeps 12/13hrs right through in his cot, too.....heard lots of people say thats a good reason not to co-sleep, think it must be a common misconception....

Advertisement