Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 BB Caps

Options
  • 05-03-2006 10:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whats the story with these?

.22/6mm BB Caps
    2130505-E.jpg

Seems like an odd thing to be putting thru a .22 rifle/pistol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

They've basically a small (twenty-something grain) projectile, powered by a primer. They have similar ballistics to an air rifle, and can be very handy for pest control.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

can you put em through any .22? (obviously they wont cycle a semi)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

i might be an idea to give a run down of ammo avilible for .22 uses, pics, rough cost, etc.

Such as the Shot-shell
    hollow point
    subsonic

just a thought

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

scout wrote:
    i might be an idea to give a run down of ammo avilible for .22 uses, pics, rough cost, etc.

Such as the Shot-shell
    hollow point
    subsonic

just a thought

Off ya go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i doubt you'd want to be putting them through a .22wmr but

something i always wondered would it do any harm using .22's in the magnum dont suppose there's much point and probably wouldnt be that accurate either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

i doubt you'd want to be putting them through a .22wmr but

something i always wondered would it do any harm using .22's in the magnum dont suppose there's much point and probably wouldnt be that accurate either

No harm at all.I use them in my 22WMR/20 combo regulary.You can get an adapter for 22lr/22wmr,made in Alaska by Harry Owen.Recommend that you wear eye protection if you are using a hammer style 22 as somtimes I have had some sort of gas leak back on mine.Accuracy is good for bunnies and coke cans.You can also use cut off 22WMR of certain brands as one shot adapters.I havent found a brand here tho that will do this for me.
    The 22BB cap [flobert]is quite a good round for pest control or silent shooting where a suppressor might be difficult to use .Fiddly to load in some guns.But is still useful

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

.Recommend that you wear eye protection if you are using a hammer style 22 as somtimes I have had some sort of gas leak back on mine.

Thats happened to me too, the case is very flimsy, basically the same as 6mm blank. Also the BB's have an annoying habbit of falling out of the case. Very usefull though because of the relatively short range. There are CB caps as well with a small pointed bullet. CCI (I think) manufacture or certainly used to manufacture CB rounds with full lenght cases in order to be cycled in bolt actions etc. Very popular for pest control and good fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Recommend that you wear eye protection if you are using a hammer style 22 as somtimes I have had some sort of gas leak back on mine.

The reason for this is that the wmr case has a lot more diameter than a lr. The lr uses a heeled bullet, so the case is the same outside diameter as the outside of the bullet. The wmr has a conventional bullet, where the inside diameter of the case is the same as the bullet. This means that the narrower lr case isn't going to seal the breech as well in a wmr chamber, resulting in a certain amount of blow back.

To reference this post for further detail:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2486407&postcount=6

Incdentally, the shooting section of Boards.ie is popping up more and more for general shooting questions on Google - good sign for it's popularity.

[
    QUOTE=civdef]The reason for this is that the wmr case has a lot more diameter than a lr. The lr uses a heeled bullet, so the case is the same outside diameter as the outside of the bullet. The wmr has a conventional bullet, where the inside diameter of the case is the same as the bullet. This means that the narrower lr case isn't going to seal the breech as well in a wmr chamber, resulting in a certain amount of blow back.

Ah!That also explains why some of the LR cases are ruptured as well.Duh!!:o should have thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

so im guessing putting .22bb's in a wmr would be about as bad as a normal .22 if not worse

• Advertisement

so im guessing putting .22bb's in a wmr would be about as bad as a normal .22 if not worse

No,just sleeve it with a cut off 22WMR.Or use it direct.It will be quiet,but accuracy mightnt be great as the BB wobbles down the barrel.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

CCI (I think) manufacture or certainly used to manufacture CB rounds with full lenght cases in order to be cycled in bolt actions etc. Very popular for pest control and good fun!

Found a box, CCI .22 CB long:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

got my hands on some .22lr tracer rounds awhile back:D great fun plinking cola cans full of water :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

where me want :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

scout wrote:
    where me want :(

Got them in the gun gallary in Drogheda. Think they were inported by ardee sports co.

Advertisement