Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What were the best selling FF games of the series?

Options
  • 05-03-2006 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Which were the best selling Final Fantasy games of the series and does anyone know how many each game sold? I read on wiki that FF8 had out-sold FF7 by 2004, but Iv read in another place that FF7 sold about 9million copies while 8 and 10 sold about 6-6.5 million each. Does anyone know for sure what the figures were?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

According to this Wiki piece here. VII outsold VIII by a considerable margin.
    # Final Fantasy VIII (PS1 - 6 million)
    Final Fantasy VII (9.8 million)

I haven't heard any official reports but most seem to point towards VII being the best selling of the series.

This certainly highlights one of the main problems of wikipedia......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it wouldn't be any game before FFVII since it was the first one to receive a worldwide release. I'd be more inclined to say FFVIII since it was the first FF game to really open up to the female market and there was also a lot more hype built up for it since expectations were high after the ground breaking FFVII. I'd say a lot of FFVII players discovered the game after renting or from getting a lend from a friend. These players would probably have rushed out to get FFVIII (I know I did after finishing FFVII although I was a late adopter of the PS1 so it was out on budget then). However I'd say that FFVII might have over taken it in sales later on. The game was constantly in production on the platinum label almost right up to the end of the PS1's life and many people who were new to the series would have bought it. I don't think FFX or FFIX were popular enough to out sell VII and VIII. FFX-2 divided opinion too much and was a terrible game so would have put a lot of people off and would only appeal to veterans of FFX.

Can't seem to find any official reports that agree with each other. It's probably very difficult to correlate worldwide figures. I wonder If Dragon Quest VIII will out sell the FF series seeing how popular the game is in japan. It was the series that forced the japanese government to pass legislature stating that RPGs could only be released on Saturdays since kids were bunking off school to buy the game when the release was during the week. It's the first one with a worldwide release as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

I spent the better part of a year looking for a copy of VII but I couldn't find it anywhere. VIII, IX and X no bother but never VII.

That could mean it wasn't as popular as the others or that it was more popular and they never had enough but thats for you to decide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Cosine wrote:
    I spent the better part of a year looking for a copy of VII but I couldn't find it anywhere. VIII, IX and X no bother but never VII.

Surely as it was made two years before eight it would have stopped being produced before all the rest of them.

I know VII was bloody hard to find after I sold my copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Agree with Retrogamer.

I remember reading that the original FFVIII line easily outsold FFVII. But once VII came out on platinum (in 2000 i think, that's when i had to buy a replacement copy) it probably went on to surpass VIII.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

grimloch wrote:
    Surely as it was made two years before eight it would have stopped being produced before all the rest of them.

I know VII was bloody hard to find after I sold my copy.

I checked on the internet at the time and aparently they were still being produced a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

Advertisement