Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I thought someone might be interested in these...

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Too late,:(

Someone bought them for 285 euro.

They would have done wonders for the boards.ie folding team:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

conzymaher wrote:

They would have done wonders for the boards.ie folding team:D :D

cant wait to get my dual xeon rig running for this :D

Does anyone run folding@home on their personal computer? I ran it and it made everything a bit sluggish and locked up, I was using the Graphical version, Is the command line version better and how do i configure it so that it doesnt hog my PC?

P.s Would 25 Pentium 1 Pcs be worth the hassle of setting them up for folding?? they are running windows 95 in school ,but they are only dumb terminals really, all the magic happens on the Server:D

[EMAIL="folding@home"]folding@home[/EMAIL] shouldnt hog your pc, it uses any cpu % that isnt in use, i have it on my network server and 2 workstations in work that i use everyday and it doesnt slow down the workstations at all when im using them

i wouldnt bother putting it on p1's, it would take weeks probably just to complete 1 WU maybe months, lol :D

Thanks, maybe I will try use it again........

How long should a WU take on an Athlon64 @2.8ghz

And i wasnt thinking of putting it on 1 P1, I was thinking of running it on a network, that has a Dual 3ghz Xeon and 25 P1s attached.....

The xeon would probably be faster than all the P1s put together:D

• Advertisement

yeh xeon would b faster then the p1s

time depends on how big the wu is, they vary widely, so its too hard to say

Ahh, OK

One last question, Is it bad for a PC to be running at 100% 24/7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Nope, as long as they're not running too hot.

Better for them to be on all the time than on then off.

Thanks, I will post this here but its a bit off topic.

I used to be able to get 3850 in 3D mark 06, and do a run of super PI 1M in 24 seconds,

I reinstalled a while ago and now I only get 3400 and it takes 29 seconds to do a run of super PI 1M

Thats nearly a 20% DECREASE in performance, any ideas??

P.s its obviously not GPU related as Super Pi suffers......

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

conzymaher wrote:
    Does anyone run folding@home on their personal computer? I ran it and it made everything a bit sluggish and locked up, I was using the Graphical version, Is the command line version better and how do i configure it so that it doesnt hog my PC?

P.s Would 25 Pentium 1 Pcs be worth the hassle of setting them up for folding?? they are running windows 95 in school ,but they are only dumb terminals really, all the magic happens on the Server:D
    Yep. runs lovely on mine. I'm slowly climbing up the ranks... onw thing i do notice is of course.. you always have highish temps, cos (depending on your setting) it can use up a processor to 100%. But its low priority.. so everything else you run pushes it out of the way, so dunno how it slows up your PC. Its also great for stress testing over a day or so AND your doing some good at the same time. I call it my charity work.

EDIT Actually I think its max is 50%

• Advertisement

Nope, as long as they're not running too hot.

Better for them to be on all the time than on then off.
    Well... if he's refering to Win95 maybe good idea to reboot every so often. Win 95 always liked a reboot every so often. Can get a little unstable i think if not.

gline wrote:

i wouldnt bother putting it on p1's, it would take weeks probably just to complete 1 WU maybe months, lol :D
    Every little helps man... even the P1s... If i thought I'd get away with it, Id have all the thinkpads and pcs in work running it along with the servers!;)

I'd have some score then!:D

Advertisement