Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for a newly qualified accountant?

Options
  • 05-03-2006 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭

hi folkds just brainstorming at the moment wondering what to do with my life etc, basically ive passed all my exams and will be out of articles in september, ive trained with a big four in a dept that deals with small to medium sized indiginous co's so i would not have any funds experience, SOX experience or listed co experience,

that aside my accounting skills per say would be better than if i were to have worked on larger clients all the time and i have seniored clients with over 100m turnover but they are private co's

anyway auditing isnt for me in the future, its fine and im generally pretty good at it but it bores me, so im trying to decide what to do,

i could stay in the company im in and get a transfer to corporate recovery (liquidations) or corporate finance, or i could just leave and try something else?

Anyone been in the same position recently and what did u do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Fund Accoutancy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

no way :) my girlfriend is involved in it sounds awful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

M&a ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Cyrus wrote:
    no way :) my girlfriend is involved in it sounds awful

Its worse than awful,18 of the suckiest months of my life doing fund accountancy.

Sorry to hi jack to thread, but what is so bad about fund accountancy.

I was going to apply for a job in it in Drogheda.

• Advertisement

kluivert wrote:

I am not being completely fair.
    A lot of people find the work very boring/souldestroying.The turnover rate is very high,18 months would be longer than the average person stays doing it.

Its not all bad,it pays well and if you dont mind the work you could make supervisor fairly easily within two years and be getting close to 40k.

gl

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

kluivert wrote:

i presume thats with IFS? if so they seem to be the best fund co, supervisors start on 40k and it goes up quickly, but i can be soul destroyin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

dunkamania wrote:
    Its not all bad,it pays well and if you dont mind the work you could make supervisor fairly easily within two years and be getting close to 40k.

gl

Why would a qualified accountant go this route when the starting sal. for a newly chartered accountant is 45-55k ?

chump wrote:
    Why would a qualified accountant go this route when the starting sal. for a newly chartered accountant is 45-55k ?

Qualified accountants with a few years expierience would be looking to start as assitant managers or managers which would bring them roughly in line with
    their non fund accounting peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i think i'm keeping meself in practice for a while, get the practice and audit cert and hang it on the wall. and change job! :D

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote:
    I am not being completely fair.
    A lot of people find the work very boring/souldestroying.The turnover rate is very high,18 months would be longer than the average person stays doing it.

gl

I dont mind repetitive work, i dont mind working hard.

Advertisement