Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mayonaise under the oil cap

Options
  • 05-03-2006 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

When topping up the oil in my car today there was a beige coloured gunk on the oil cap. Am I right is saying that this is a sign that the Head Gasket is on the way out.?????

Its a 99 Seat Cordoba that is overdue a service since Dec. It has 67000 miles on the clock.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Macker1 wrote:
    When topping up the oil in my car today there was a beige coloured gunk on the oil cap. Am I right is saying that this is a sign that the Head Gasket is on the way out.?????

Its a 99 Seat Cordoba that is overdue a service since Dec. It has 67000 miles on the clock.:confused:

It depends. What kind of driving do you do?

If it is mostly short trips or the car is not used alot then it is not necessarily the head gasket. Ask your mechanic to check it out when it gets serviced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would'nt panic, it sounds like classic winter driving gunk, moisture in the engine which is worst during the cold months does'nt get the chance to get "burnt off" during short comuting journeys, it builds up on the oily bits and mixes to form a dirty mayonaise like liquid. Under the filler cap is the usual place to spot it. The breather pipe between the valve cover and airbox is another favourite.

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

my advice would be to get it serviced ASAP and ask the dealers advice and at least check the head gasket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

bazz26 wrote:
    It depends. What kind of driving do you do?

If it is mostly short trips or the car is not used alot then it is not necessarily the head gasket. Ask your mechanic to check it out when it gets serviced.

Not much driving in the last year, other than short trips to the local shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

get it checked asap. If i was buying a car and seen it it would put me off right away. its deff water mixed with oil but how bad it is will need to be sorted quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

get it checked asap. If i was buying a car and seen it it would put me off right away. its deff water mixed with oil but how bad it is will need to be sorted quickly.

sounds like moisture , check dipstick if oil looks normal and coolant level , if everything looks normal i wouldn't panic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if its loosing coolant its probably then the head.
    also check if theres oil in the coolant.vag cars use red g12 coolant so u can check easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

How long is it since you serviced it last? How many miles have you done since?

Advertisement