Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are front fog lights covered by the NCT?

Options
  • 06-03-2006 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

given that many cars dont come with them does it mean that they are not tested where they are in place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

given that many cars dont come with them does it mean that they are not tested where they are in place?

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Whatever sort of lighting is fitted as standard to your car is required to be working for the NCT

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The front fogs are tested for:-
    (1) Incorrectly positioned (see Page 45).
    (2) Insecurely mounted.
    (3) Switch defective.
    (4) Not white or yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

endplate wrote:
    Whatever sort of lighting is fitted as standard to your car is required to be working for the NCT

Not correct.
    My car passed the NCT . The tester pointed out that the centre brake light was o/o/o but this did'nt matter as the twmo main brake lights work

Are front fog lights covered by the NCT? ?

They should be because of the amount of muppets using them when theres no fog!!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They should be because of the amount of muppets using them when theres no fog!!!!:rolleyes:
    how is a car test a way of testing the driver?

kbannon wrote:
    how is a car test a way of testing the driver?

Thats what the driving test is for:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No matter what the manual says, if front fogs are fitted but are not working, the car passes...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

My brother enquired to NCT about his high mounted brake light if it had to be working (some bulbs were blown) and he was told that if it's factory fitted it must be working. I'm assuming the same applies to fog lights

endplate wrote:
    My brother enquired to NCT about his high mounted brake light if it had to be working (some bulbs were blown) and he was told that if it's factory fitted it must be working. I'm assuming the same applies to fog lights

My car passed the NCT . The tester pointed out that the centre brake light was o/o/o but this did'nt matter as the two main brake lights work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

endplate wrote:
    I'm assuming the same applies to fog lights

I wouldn't assume that. (Center high mounted) brake lights and rear fog lights have a direct safety impact. Front fogs don't...

My front fogs (E38 BMW 7-series) are factory fitted. They were not working during the last NCT (which I knew and I also knew they would not be tested). My car was tested very thoroughly but no mention was made of the front fogs

Advertisement