Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Picking up a new car

Options
  • 06-03-2006 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I'm picking up a new car on Thursday afternoon from the dealer. It's a factory ordered model and I've never purchased a new car before -- so I'm pretty excited :)

I've only bought second hand cars previously. What can I expect to happen on thursday? What condition should the car be in? Anybody got any hints on what I should look out for?

I don't really have a breeze !!

-- tigerbalm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

What kinda car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

It's a Volvo S40

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not much to look for. Get a copy of the SIMI form (The green copy), an RF100 form for taxing the car, and just enjoy it. Try to get the Dealer to fill the tank with petrol.

Don't forget, if you don't tax the car, you won't get your ownership book. Tax first, and then the ownership book gets sent to you.

Owen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i was in the same situation last june when i got my 1st new car. what garage did you buy the volve from.

Thanks! I've been given the reg number by the dealer verbally over the phone, and I've arranged insurance cover to be in place on Thursday.

Thing is ... I don't think I will have an insurance disk or tax disk to display until at least a week after. Is there a 'grace period' with a new car? Or will I be screwed if I am stopped by the Garda and have nothing on the windscreen?

• Advertisement

Nuts !

Quote I got from oasis.gov.ie:
    It may take 3-4 weeks for the registration in your name to be processed. Again, it's an offence to drive without paying motor tax so you should not drive until you receive confirmation that the registration has occurred and you have paid motor tax to your local Motor Tax Office.

So I can't bleeden' collect the car until at least another week! Does anybody take any notice of these rules? (garda?)

drdre wrote:
    i was in the same situation last june when i got my 1st new car. what garage did you buy the volve from.

I live near Kildare so I bought from my local dealer (Chapmans?). They seemed alright. I didn't have a trade in so I got a good cash discount, used it to splash out on some extras -- so I guess they got their money either way! But that was my own choice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

who are you insured with should'nt take a week to send out a new disc max of 2 days i know when i changed my car axa had my disk out nxt day

paconnors wrote:
    who are you insured with should'nt take a week to send out a new disc max of 2 days i know when i changed my car axa had my disk out nxt day

Actually it's the tax disk that i won't be able to have on Thursday. If I understand correctly the full and legal way to drive my new car is:

*) Wait for insurance disk to arrive -- it's due Wednesday
    *) Drop down to dealer on thursday and collect RF 100 form.
    *) Leave the car at dealer :(
    *) Post form to tax office and wait for a tax disk to arrive in the post
    *) Drop down again to dealer and drive away.

I just thought I'd be driving by Thursday -- don't have any car at the moment -- but guess I'll have to wait maybe another few days.

The quote from oasis.gov.ie is woefully out of date. Registration is done online now at ros.ie, and the ownership of the vehicle is pretty much immediate. Trust me, I do it every day :-)

• Advertisement

To answer your question properly, yes it there is a grace period. Keep the green copy of the SIMI form in your glovebox to imdemnify you against penalties from the Gardaí, and once your insurance is transferred, and your motor tax applied for, you're more than entitled to drive without valid discs on the windscreen, as they have both been applied for.

Happy Motoring!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

The dealer will give you an e-form from the Car Reg dept in shannon just bring this form into the tax office and you will be to tax the car straight away without any problems, car regestration in now done on line, you said the dealer already gave you a reg no, trust me your details will have been logged against this,

Happy Driving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Do give the car a good look over. Just because it is brand new, does not mean it hasn't got a tip or bang while it has been moved around on transporters and in yards.

Also, make sure the manuals are still in the car.

Best of luck with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

When i collected my new car they gave me the documents to get the car taxed (which can now be done immediately online using the last four digits of your chassis no). Make sure you get ur spare keys, get them to throw in some petrol, have a look around the car in case of any marks caused by the fellas washing your car before you collect it. I was driving with nothing in my windscreen while i was waiting for the insurance co to send out the insurance disk. Tax disc came within three days. Check with your insurance co to see if you have to pay an excess with your car as they wont release your disk without paying it first and will only give you 7 days grace. After that enjoy sitting in a new car with the lovely smell of new in it! Happy driving. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

sandyg wrote:
    get them to throw in some petrol,

Get them to fill the tank and refuse to hand over the money until they do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Even if the insurance disc doesn't arrive you can still drive around once you have a note of your insurance particulars with you....all you'll need is the insurance company name and your reference number and you'll be grand.

fletch wrote:
    Even if the insurance disc doesn't arrive you can still drive around once you have a note of your insurance particulars with you....all you'll need is the insurance company name and your reference number and you'll be grand.

Not sure if what you say is true.
    AFAIK, it is illegal not to display your disc. So even if you are fully insured, and have the disc, but it is in the glove box, you are breaking the law.

However, tax is different. Once your car is taxed you are okay, also if you are in the grace period.

Your insurance company should be able to produce a disc straight away, for you to collect, or courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

prospect wrote:
    Not sure if what you say is true.
    I was told by both my previous insurers that it was okay to do.

fletch wrote:

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

prospect wrote:
    Do give the car a good look over. Just because it is brand new, does not mean it hasn't got a tip or bang while it has been moved around on transporters and in yards.

^^^dead right^^^

I've heard of occasions where people have picked up brand new cars that have had damage repairs carried out. Usually this is panel damage obtained during delivery. AFAIK The dealers aren't obliged to tell you if this has been the case so customers may unknowingly be purchasing damage repaired cars so check all the panels for correct colour matching and any orange-peel effect and ask if any work has been done on the car.

Also check that all the correct options are installed.

Your motor insurance is also likely to have the following clause in it which you should heed as it points out a few things you will need to check:

"You will inspect the Motor Vehicle on delivery to check that it does not have any of the following: (i) (in respect of brand new cars only) mileage in excess of 200 miles on the clock (unless You have waived this and are having the Motor Vehicle driven to You); (ii) any damage; or (iii) missing options to those listed in the Purchase Request Form or any amendment thereto (as applicable). If any of the foregoing exists, You will inform Us immediately at the point of delivery, notate it on the delivery sheet and it will be corrected, except that if there is structural damage We will return the Motor Vehicle to the Supplier for a refund of the Price"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    Get them to fill the tank and refuse to hand over the money until they do! :)

It'd be nice if they gave you some petrol, but don't expect it. If they raised the price of the car by €50 at delivery, you'd be rightly indignant. You've made a deal, you get a nice new car, they get x amount of money. Good business is when each participant honours their side of the bargain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

tigerbalm wrote:
    I didn't have a trade in so I got a good cash discount, used it to splash out on some extras

I will be getting a new car next month, just a small one to get to work, either the toyota aygo or the peugout 107 (both are 12k) - how much discount do you think I can push for?

Beruthiel wrote:
    I will be getting a new car next month, just a small one to get to work, either the toyota aygo or the peugout 107 (both are 12k) - how much discount do you think I can push for?

It all depends on the exact car. Some models have much greater cash discounts than others. As always, the best advice is to shop around.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

fletch wrote:

You have to display the disc if you have it. You have also to be able to prove that you were/are insured at the time you are stopped. So If you say its a new car then no probs but you have to be able to prove to them that you are insured i.e. produce a cert within 10 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    It'd be nice if they gave you some petrol, but don't expect it. If they raised the price of the car by €50 at delivery, you'd be rightly indignant. You've made a deal, you get a nice new car, they get x amount of money. Good business is when each participant honours their side of the bargain.

After paying ~30k I would think it common courtesy that it would be filled for you. I bought a s/h car recently for far less recently and was given a full tank without asking.

(on the other side of the coin I know someone who, after being promised a full tank, was only given half one. He has sworn never to deal with the garage again, and it is their loss considering he buys a new 40k car every 2 years.)

I agree certainly that it would be nice. When I worked at a dealership, I always filled cars I was sending out, but I did factor this into my margins when doing the deal. As you say, I found it to be more than worthwhile in terms of goodwill & general feel-good. If a garage promised to fill the tank but then didn't, then of course that would be wrong. That said, it doesn't matter how much the deal is for, a deal is a deal. For either side to demand something more after a deal has been struck is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Beruthiel wrote:

On an Aygo or 107, €700 is as much as you'll get as a discount. the margins in them are tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

tigerbalm wrote:
    I live near Kildare so I bought from my local dealer (Chapmans?). They seemed alright. I didn't have a trade in so I got a good cash discount, used it to splash out on some extras -- so I guess they got their money either way! But that was my own choice :p
    hey, we were also looking at s40/v50 and are goin to try chapmans.. be interested to see how much of a discount u got... no trade in also. a dublin dealer was givin us nearly 2K off without us pushin too much..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When collecting a new car make sure you see the car in clear sunlight before driving off the forecourt. Check all paintwork and body panels for signs of scrapes or dents. Check the interior also and make sure all manuals and documents are there also.

Regarding tax and insurance: Once you have already organised your insurance change over from the old car to the new car the insurance company will process the issue of a new disc. This will take about a week to be sent to you. The same with a tax disc, once you fill out the application online then it takes about a week for them to process and issue a tax disc. In most cases common sence is used by the garda if you get stopped at a check point. They might ask you to produce the discs or certs at a garda station when you receive them and take your details if they are in an odd mode but most will wave you on when they see a brand shiny new car.

Just to note though, don't park the car anywhere where there you could pick up a parking fine as traffic wardens can issue tickets for failure to display a valid insurance or tax disc, afaik it is around €50 for each offence. While you can challenge these fines and get your money back it is alot of agro that can be avoided. Try parking in a privately run car park where wardens don't patrol.

Best of luck with your new car. :cool: I want one too. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Don't the dealers issue you with a slip of paper with your name and address and their stamp and date of purchase which you then put inside your windscreen to cover you for tax until you get your tax book? I've been involved with picking up new cars on numerous occasions and this was the case...I think it covers you for a week or two.

Advertisement