Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elections

• 06-03-2006 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

So the nominations open Monday. Anyone heard of anyone going for any position?

Sabbatical:
    President
    Education and Welfare Officer/Deputy President (Replacing Education Officer)
    Campaigns and Information Officer/Vice-President (Replacing Welfare Officer)

Non-sabbatical:
    Equality Officer (Replacing Womens' officer)
    Clubs and Societies officer
    Engineering and Computing Convenor
    Business Convenor
    Humanities Convenor
    Science and Health Convenor
    Chair of Postgraduate Committee (Replacing Chair of Postgraduate Execiutive)
    Postgraduate Education Officer

Apparantly someone is putting me forward for clubs and socs officer. I swear to god, express an interest in something LAST YEAR and you're stuck with it for life. I could never do that, I have no interest in the SPC. And rapidly beginning to hate the SCC, and one year on the SU Exec is enough for anyone. Altho with free tickets to all the events it is quite appealing......

The one thing everyone is gonna have in their manifesto? EVENTS! No point people, the only way to make events better is to make people attend, so if we could have personality transplants for a few of the peeps in DCU, we'd be better off! They'll also put in about campus res, no point though, overnight guests are allowed if its pre-arranged.

What I think they need to put in their manifesto - the price of things in Spar (they should decrease the rent so that spar can charge less), the price of food in the canteen, and a few other things that i will no doubt think of over the next few days!

What I'd like them to do: Bring subway to dcu. that'd be nice. But seriously, anonymous marking across the board would be nice (instead of just CA1/a few others..) and if they could get the Uaneen more than an option for more courses, even better! That'd be a load off my mind when i get to 4th year.

And one more thing, they're not gonna reach quorum on the postgrads.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Are the Non Sabbatical positions paying positions? Like, I'd maybe consider going for something, but I couldn't afford not to work! I guess people who are really involved are lucky enough not to have that worry. OR at least that's waht I thought until I realised they might get paid. I asked someone once in an email but I got no response.

So, how does this whole thing work? Do you nominate someone you think'd be good and they run, or wha? Nominate yourself?

Do you know anyone running for it rugbug? Wonder who'll go for President. Male or Female... what course/year. I think it takes a brave person to take on taht repsonibility in DCU. What if NO ONE runs!!

ps. Oh, any chance of a discription of the roles?

edit2: Hrm. I've just been to life. The nominations are only open for a week.. that kinda sucks. I wonder will current SU people run.... There is no further details of positons on there. Might check the spc site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

run for the hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Jes, the best way to find out about a praticular position is to ask the current person in the role. And there shouldn't be anything on the old SPC site because its a Union thing.
    Conveyors are unpaid positions but as rugbug pointed out you get the "perks" of free tickets to the Union events, which if you go out alot can be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Jesjes wrote:
    Are the Non Sabbatical positions paying positions? Like, I'd maybe consider going for something, but I couldn't afford not to work! I guess people who are really involved are lucky enough not to have that worry. OR at least that's waht I thought until I realised they might get paid. I asked someone once in an email but I got no response.

Non-sabbat positions aren't a huge amount of work - maybe 1, max 2 meetings a week. Which are decided ages in advance.
    Jesjes wrote:
    So, how does this whole thing work? Do you nominate someone you think'd be good and they run, or wha? Nominate yourself?

you nominate yourself but get proposed by 2 others (as far as i know its 2, well it was 2 last year) and then the nomination boxes are opened and you're contacted to make sure that you're accepting the nomination (and that someone didn't just put your name in without you consenting)
    Jesjes wrote:
    Do you know anyone running for it rugbug? Wonder who'll go for President. Male or Female... what course/year. I think it takes a brave person to take on taht repsonibility in DCU. What if NO ONE runs!!

I haven't heard of anyone as of yet.

Hopefully someone will run. I mean its kinda an important thing...
    Jesjes wrote:
    Oh, any chance of a discription of the roles?

Sure, I'll do them now
    Jesjes wrote:
    Hrm. I've just been to life. The nominations are only open for a week.. that kinda sucks.

Yeah, its normally 2 weeks, they must have changed that in the consitution too. :rolleyes:
    Jesjes wrote:
    I wonder will current SU people run.....

I doubt it, 1 year at a time is PLENTY
    Jesjes wrote:
    There is no further details of positons on there.

Thats DCUSU for you.

Sabbatical:

President - overall in charge of everything. sits on LOADS of boards and crap. has regular meetings with randomers. a paid position

Education and Welfare Officer/Deputy President (Replacing Education Officer)

Changed because most of the welfare cases are educational related. basically if someone has a problem, personal or course related, this is the person to talk to. sits on academic council and is normally in charge of convenors.

Campaigns and Information Officer/Vice-President (Replacing Welfare Officer)

to run weeks like SHAG week and RAG week and have people come to DCU to talk, or like the blood board or something. (I think!)

Non-sabbatical:
    Equality Officer (Replacing Womens' officer)

To ensure that EVERYONE in dcu gets a fair deal and that your sexuality/race/gender/religion ETC shouldn't be held against you.

Clubs and Societies officer

Sits on SU exec, SPC and SCC. Tells the SU whats going on in SCC and SPC land. One of the better ones because you get 3 christmas parties!

Engineering and Computing Convenor
    Business Convenor
    Humanities Convenor
    Science and Health Convenor

All the convenors do the same job, just in different faculties! A point of contact for all class reps, sits on academic council and in some faculties sits on the faculty board. If anyone wants more info on this, PM me, i was science and health convenor last year!

Chair of Postgraduate Committee (Replacing Chair of Postgraduate Execiutive)
    Postgraduate Education Officer

No really sure about these, but kinda like a seperate SU for postgrad related problems...

Any more questions?

(I know some SU stuff!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hrm, I've heard rumours of people thinking about running for President, I don't think we have to worry about not having anyone to do it.

Oh and to do with the two points in your first post rugbug...

After much deliberation I have discovered the only way of getting DCU people into the Hub for events...Cheap drinks. Now I'm not talking about €3 drinks, for obvious reasons - bar management being bastards and the level of drunkeness would probably be too high - but like even the odd "drink promotion" wouldnt go astray. All it requires is like €7 double vodka and red bull, a cheap pint and a cheap shot and I bet you could draw a crowd. Now I feel horrible for even saying that mainly because people should be going anyway but one has to be realistic I guess...:o

The decreasing of rent in Spar is probably one of the cleverest ideas for them to lower the prices of some of the food in there.

The battle for campus is far from over. We/They have gotten to where they are today due to the constant persistance of both residences and the SU. Keeping it up and even escalating it slightly is nearly guarenteed to bring further concessions..

Oh and hasnt the Uaneen module been opened up to everyone as of this year coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

rugbug86 wrote:
    What I think they need to put in their manifesto - the price of things in Spar (they should decrease the rent so that spar can charge less), the price of food in the canteen, and a few other things that i will no doubt think of over the next few days!

Unless things have changed in the last year or two, Spar is owned and run under franchise by HMC or another of the million committees/companies made up of DCU staff. There's no rent because its owned by DCU.

Profits from the shop go to Hub Management for building maintaince (clearly not a lot of that going on these days) and to SFC to be shared between SPC, SCC and SU. There's no incentive (for DCU or anyone who's a member of the SU, SPC, SCC) to reduce prices because the money goes back to the college for student funds anyway.

the prices in spar are beyond a joke

the uaneen has been opened up, yeah, but as an extra module. some courses have it in their 4th year optional modules.

faceless for pres tbh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Thanks for the discription RugBug! :)

I won't be running for anything, canne afford it. Definitely not going for Prez or anything!! You and Simon should though, ye could run the place and i could go to events for FREE!

Hrm, wasnt aware they had done THAT with the Uaneen module. I had assumed it had been fully opened up. Fingers crossed it has been done for CA.

lol? Me for Pres? Hell no, I'm far to un-PC for it. I won't lie to you though, I did consider it at one point, or at the very least one of the other positions, however my lack of involvment in general SPC/SCC activities and the fact that it messes up my long term plans kind of dashed the idea. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

At the minute the Uaeneen is meant to be open to any degree which has a 5 credit option module in second semester. However the science faculty are not accepting this, so they may be adopting it another way. But noone knows :)

its meant to be open, yeah. but its not. hopefully by the time i graduate it'll be in! altho i think i'd still prefer to do my actual degree modules... and get the extra credits!

uaneen website

http://www.dcu.ie/uaneen/

could i BE any more off topic? elections FFS!

Jesjes, i'd love to run, i'll see if i can be persuaded. however i did hear a rumour that a friend is running for it, a bit of competition never did anyone any harm!

You definitely should campaign RugBug, you've got DCU in your heart missus! Maybe you can rub off on the rest of campus!!

I'd nominate you if I knew how..!!

but would i accept the nomination!!!

i'll think about it. i wouldn't go for a sabatical position. already took a "year out" so not taking another one!

you dont need to have any interest in the SPC/SCC to be pres........

Faceless for pres, i'll say it again. FACELESS FOR PRES!!!!

Nominations announced!
    Hi,

I am pleased to announce the nominations for General Elections to the Students?
    Union 06/07. They are as follows:

SABATICAL OFFICERS:

PRESIDENT
    Charlene Connolly Journalism 4
    Brian Smyth Business Studies 4
    Alan Flanagan Journalism 3
    Fin Higgins Communications 3
    Richard Greene Economics Politics and Law 2

DEPUTY PRESIDENT EDUCATION & WELFARE
    Claire Kehoe Business Studies 3
    Eoin Byrne Communications 3
    Ronan Heffernan MBA Accounting 1

VICE PRESIDENT CAMPAIGN & INFORMATION
    Michael Robinson Communications 3
    Donal Griffin Business Management 1

NON-SABATICAL OFFICERS:

EQUALITY OFFICER
    Max Rantz-McDonald Computer Applications 1
    Michelle Smyth General Nursing 1
    Janet Newenham European Business 1

CLUBS AND SOCS
    Kathrina Farrell Science international 1
    Russell O'Connor Mechatronics 3

CONVENORS:

SCIENCE & HEALTH
    Conor Farrell Physics with Astronomy 3
    Joseph De Courcey Analytical Science 3
    John Cannon Physics with Astronomy 1

HUMANITIES
    Ellen Parikka International Relations 2

ENGINEERING
    Allan Dixon Common Entry Electronic Engineering 1

As there are no nominations for Business Convener nominations for this position
    alone will be re-opened on Monday the 13th of March at 9am and will close
    on Wednesday the 15th of March at 5pm.

Hustings will take place on Wednesday the 22nd of March at 2pm and elections
    will take place on the 28th and 29th of March. Be sure to keep an eye on
    An Tarbh and e-mails for further information.

Padraig O'Connor,
    Returning Officer,
    Electoral Comittee 05/06.

Oh oh. I know some of those people! Coolas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Apparently the election boxes' that you put your choices into contain small gremlins.

Winters wrote:
    Apparently the election boxes' that you put your choices into contain small gremlins.
    baby jesus doesn't like lies!

• Advertisement

Yea tis pretty cool, I know one person running for most of the positions so at least I have an idea of who to look out for during the hustings. That said they'd better have good policies etc... if they want my vote. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

rugbug86 wrote:
    baby jesus doesn't like lies!
    He also doesnt like my face ... but thats a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

^^^

Why do you have two different totals for posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Just at the hustings, I'm fairly sure who I'll be voting for. It'll go something like this, Richard Greene no 1, Fin Higgins second and Alan Flanagan third, wouldn't waste a vote on the rest. I'll vote Ronan Heffernan for Deputy and Donal Griffin for Vice. Felt the SU people were really just attacking anyone that wasn't in there group and would like to see that upset. Although I don't think it makes any difference who you vote for to be honest.

Tony Danza wrote:
    Although I don't think it makes any difference who you vote for to be honest.

obviously you weren't in dcu at election time 2 years ago when C&S officer came down to one vote.

and i also made my decisions about who i'm voting for.

oh and some of the campaign posters - "No-one's a par to our Char" or some equal tripe.

Tony Danza wrote:
    Although I don't think it makes any difference who you vote for to be honest.
    *sigh* You really think that? Not a very nice attitude to have imo, and its probably why voter turn out is so low. :(

Oh and having read the Q&A session from the College View I was nearly able to tell who I was voting for for SU Pres. That and I know the guy already and know he'll do a good job.

On the topic of the hustings I heard some of the candidates, well lets just say they didnt impress anyone...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭*Shelly*

To be honest i'm not very happy with certain candidates and i can see why people wouldn't want to vote. Certain people have been talking to me about spoiling there votes. This can be awaded in some ways but if a vote is spoilt it is still counted as a vote therefore quorum can be reached.

I would not encorage anyone not to vote but rather if they feel in certain area's there is no candidate suited to the job then abstain from voting in that area. You may aswell vote in some areas. After all, the selection might be bad in your eyes but there has got to be someone you'd be willing to vote for.

I stood through two hours of freezing cold, I have strong opinions, avert your eyes if easily offended....

I'll do the Pres and Vice Pres last though...

[edit] also, who's bloody idea was it to have the Hustings outside, in the cold! and during reading week... morons [/edit]

NON-SABATICAL OFFICERS:

EQUALITY OFFICER
    Max Rantz-McDonald Computer Applications 1
    Michelle Smyth General Nursing 1
    Janet Newenham European Business 1

Right, first off, Janet didnt speak.

Michelle was a nurse who really seemed up on her stuff. Mentioned dealing with a lot of disability on a personal level and being all for equality as you would expect. What I felt Max had up on her was that he mentioned working with disabled children [in CRC I think] but he also mentioned things like Drag Ball. Now, I dislike the idea of Drag Ball personally, but he kind of covered more than just one kind of equality issue.Though I think Michelle would probably do that, and she seemed very interested and opinionated [which is always good imo] she didn't mention it. So as far as hustings are concerned, Max might have come out better... but I think Michelle had more fire in her.
    CLUBS AND SOCS
    Kathrina Farrell Science international 1
    Russell O'Connor Mechatronics 3

Russell didnt talk. Kathrina was very nervous and only made one of like six points she has. But she really does care about the job and unfortunately nerves got the better of her. I'm bias as I know her on a personal level, however, I still think she'd be good for the job. She's very kind, but gets a lot of work done.
    CONVENORS:

SCIENCE & HEALTH
    Conor Farrell Physics with Astronomy 3
    Joseph De Courcey Analytical Science 3
    John Cannon Physics with Astronomy 1

Neither Conor nor Joseph spoke. John was funny and seemed interested in the position. I don’t really remember much of what he said, but then I’m humanities, so that’s probably why.
    HUMANITIES
    Ellen Parikka International Relations 2

I didn’t really like her speech, she didn’t make very strong points. In fact, she made such a bad impression it left me feeling, sugar bunnies, why didn’t I consider running for this position. After talking to the lovely Alan Flanagan who is currently Humanities Officer, who’s made so many changes to our faculty this year, for the better, I really think it could be a worthwhile position. I mean the Henry Grattan Party was an utter success and he organized it. Fair balls… I don’t think Ellen would do nearly as good a job,
    ENGINEERING
    Allan Dixon Common Entry Electronic Engineering 1

Tbh. Don’t remember him at all… but then, I’m not in that faculty and a lot of ppl who ran unopposed kind of mumbled and got off stage…

SABATICAL OFFICERS:

PRESIDENT
    Charlene Connolly Journalism 4

Had a proper manifesto, with real issues, that can actually be addressed and are achievable. What I liked most was how realistic she was. She also seems to have the skills and the willingness to attack issues we have. Another thing I’d point out about her is that she was the only candidate who didn’t try to win votes by saying “I’ll be better than current SU”, which is what a lot of people seemed to be doing. I’m sure she said something similar, at some stage, but overall her agenda was bigger than what the rest of the contenders had.
    Brian Smyth Business Studies 4

Seemed to have a bad copy of Charlene’s Manifesto and he didn’t really do the trick. He spoke a lot about knowing people in DCU that are “high up”, but as another person made the point of making, if you spend all your time at meetings and in offices [which are required, aye, but that’s not the point] then you don’t know and can’t know the students. And I agree with this. He was hanging his campaign on knowing people… :/
    Alan Flanagan Journalism 3

Wow. Really good, dark horse as far as I was concerned. Though it seems a lot of ppl like him already. Good manifesto, good issues, knows what he’s doing, and was able to be lighthearted at the same time. He almost convinced me to put him first on the list…
    Fin Higgins Communications 3

His only “research” was saying he looked at the other candidates, and then accused them all of being in the SU. Which is untrue, only Bryan on the SCC was an SU member and Alan is Humanities, the rest are active Clubs/Societies members. SO he couldn’t even get that right. And I think his only agenda was to get more buses to DCU…

Laughable. However, it was very funny. His only agenda was along the lines of “DAMN THE MAN” only, replace MAN with current SU. 

DEPUTY PRESIDENT EDUCATION & WELFARE
    Claire Kehoe Business Studies 3

Dropped out of the running last minute, dunno why.
    Eoin Byrne Communications 3
    This guy was much better qualified than the other guy, however, I think it’s the best of a bad bunch. Well… towards the end he made some really good points, and it seems he did do some work/research into the position, but … just didn’t win me over.

Laughable. He kept talking about the pool, and stuff. That has NOTHING to do with what he was running for…

Don’t remember either of these… :/ Someone remind me of what they look like/said and I'll give you my over opinionated opinion :)

Anyway. We have 8000ish students. We barely ever get 800 out to vote. Thats just sad. Main point = vote. And get yer mates to as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Ah I was wondering what all that music and speaking that was annoying me actually was, it all makes sense now.

As for actual elections itself, the usual, don't care will not vote.

• Advertisement

Does being as apathetic as you actually hurt? :D

oh it annoys the crap out of me, he'll be the very person to complain next year! Pesky Rob!

And i have made all my decisions for voting - most are different to jes's. i know most of the candidates and know their strengths and weaknesses. I also know that manifesto's are bull and no amount of planning can ever prepare you for the wonder that is DCUSU.

I also wish I had run for a position now! Ah well, there's always next year. (Or scc/spc/sfc, or should i say "student life" to be PC :rolleyes:)

Ah but thats the odd thing about Rob, he actually doesnt care either way. However just wait until the SU Pres trys to ban gambling campus and hence taking Poker Soc away from him and THEN you'll see him angry! :D

Ah but thats the odd thing about Rob, he actually doesnt care either way. However just wait until the SU Pres trys to ban gambling campus and hence taking Poker Soc away from him and THEN you'll see him angry! :D

and you don't like to see me angry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭*Shelly*

Spc AGM is on today so just in case you want to go for it rugbug

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nahgoe

Next years Students Union exec will be a circus. I was at the hustings yesterday, and left half way through, because I couldn't stand the amount of pure crap they were all talking. Some made good points, but in reality, all of them have no idea what their roles can and can't do. It's also the same thing as every other year. Sarah Farrell, iirc, ran her campaign with one of the main points being communication, and how the union was too closed off and all that rubbish. How often does anyone see her around? She's hardly ever in. It's the same thing year in and year out. The down side is that this year seems to have worse candidates. At least last year there was one person for each position that I would consider voting for.

There are two candidates in the entire election that I have faith in. I am voting for those two positions, and removing the ballot papers for the rest. I'm not even going to spoil my vote for them, in the hope that quorum isn't reached.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

rugbug86 wrote:
    obviously you weren't in dcu at election time 2 years ago when C&S officer came down to one vote.
    What I mean't by saying it doesn't make much of a difference is that one person is going to do just as little as the other guy.
    Jesjes wrote:
    Quote:

Laughable. He kept talking about the pool, and stuff. That has NOTHING to do with what he was running for…
    Thought he was quite good. Handled himself well against Eoin Byrne's mates that kept on attacking him. I think his ideas were related to student welfare since the position is Education and Welfare.
    Jesjes wrote:
    Quote:

Don’t remember either of these… :/ Someone remind me of what they look like/said and I'll give you my over opinionated opinion
    Michael was a joke. He stood up said he didn't prepare a speech spoke for about 2 minutes on nothing. He seems pretty popular though so I'd say he'll win. The only memorable thing he said was he could get Girls Aloud to campus instead of joining the USI which is what Donal proposed. Moving on from that... Have a feeling his mates (same as Eoin Byrnes) wouldn't have been so quite if it was Donal saying what Michael said, but they were obvious just looking out for themselves.
    Jesjes wrote:
    Quote:

Laughable. However, it was very funny. His only agenda was along the lines of “DAMN THE MAN” only, replace MAN with current SU.
    Definately getting my vote. He's a real shít stirrer unlike the rest of the guy. I mean that in a good way.

Richard Greene is the one who seems to be basing his campaign around not being in the SU and being "just like everyone else on campus"? Right, thats complete bull tbh. I would much prefer the person who has experience in and around the SU and SPC than someone who thinks not getting involved is going to make them immune to the politics of the roles.

As far as I can see Alan Flanagan is the best candidate for the position of President. Charlene comes a close second and Brian...hrm, no. The other two candidates don't seem to have very well thought out manifestos and some of their comments in the Q&A in The College View highlighted this fact even more so.

I'm still shocked that some of them didn't have speeches prepared really. I mean for **** sake like, doing that in the hustings is basically like walking into the interview for a job and telling the interviewer you know nothing about the job. I'm especially surprised with Mikey tbh, he's always seemed completly on top of his roles in a C&S capacity. That said he still seems the best person for the job in terms of his previous work in C&S. Donal wanting us to join the USI is also influencing this opinion tbh. We left the USI way back in 2002 for very good reasons and I wonder has Donal even looked into these before petitioning to reaffiliate ourselves with them.

Don’t remember either of these… :/ Someone remind me of what they look like/said and I'll give you my over opinionated opinion

Oh, those two. Yeah, Mickey came off as the stronger member, but again, best of a bad bunch.

Regarding that Richard Greene, aye, **** stirrer, and it'd be hilarious, and all the Led Zep heads [of which I am one, Vice Chair] would have a laugh. However, realistically, he'd have to *learn* *every single frickkin thing* for the first time, which would swamp him completely and utterly. IMagine having to learn all the rules about clubs, socs, SU, SPC, SCC never mind all the committees you have to sit on. I don't think he'd be able for it.

The two who have the most experiance deserve to have a fair chance at getting it, people like Greene are only ripping the piss. And depsite how funny that is... it might not work.

I'm not just looking at the candidates for pres but also the likelyhood of some others being elected.

i mean it could be a very biased exec next year.. anyone who knows most of the candidates (i do) will probably agree. it could well be disasterous if a certain 3 people were elected to sabattical positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Hm. I have to say that, personally, I think Alan's a great guy - and has done so much good work that he deserves the Presidential position.

He'd be my number one. I think.

• Advertisement

its kinda wide open.. anyone of the 5 could get it.. it'll probably come down to who has the most friends, which is a sad thing.

i wouldn't care if my nearest and dearest was running for something, if i thought someone else would do a better job i'd vote for them.

You really think its THAT wide open? Honestly I think that I could probably eliminate 2 from the race if common sense was a factor in the voting..then again...:rolleyes:

And yes, it'd be great if everyone thought like that rugbug86 but unfortunately some people still havn't gotten the point of the secet ballot...:D

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=87729295

Look at his flashbox. I have suddenly become interested in these elections after seeing this. He should be shot for that never mind elected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I think it's meant to be a pisstake - but it comes off very ham-fisted because the guy, from what I've seen of him, isn't that funny.

EDIT: But, alas, apparently it is a pisstake :-\.

well i thought that charlene was defo out of the running, until recently.

like i said, it'll depend on who has the most friends show up and vote on the day.

cooker3 wrote:
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=87729295

Look at his flashbox. I have suddenly become interested in these elections after seeing this. He should be shot for that never mind elected
    Thank God for FlashBlock thats all I have to say..

Oh and just flicking through his manifesto..
    My first step is to ensure that revolving doors replace the broken automatic doors at both entrances to the building...
    Nooooooooooo!! Why would you do that? Jesus think of Clubs And socs Day there'll be absolute chaos trying to get through those things! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

NoelRock wrote:
    Hahahaha, yeah. Someone (I won't name names) wanted me to repost that in my flashbox. Me arse.

I think it's meant to be a pisstake - but it comes off very ham-fisted because the guy, from what I've seen of him, isn't that funny.
    Of course it's a piss-take; and the guy has an excellent sense of humour! From what I know of the candidates (my knowledge is limited as I'm not a DCU student, but I'm kept informed by DCU friends of mine), Brian is the best qualified for the job.

..in their opinion!! Of course :) He is if you're into Sports.

Elaine Bannon raised some very good points regarding the doors. Why get revolving ones, like Jizmo said, they amount of hassle they'd cause, why not instead just *fix* the ones that are there now....?

Makes sense!

Indeed, some people had issues with his performance this year but as with everything this will differ depending on who you talk to.

And hell yea, the idea of getting the revolving doors is plain insanity. I mean if you have large numbers of people coming through the Hub the doors can be just left open, this can't be done with revolving doors. Also drunks seem to have great difficulty with revolving doors. Overall I can't see ANY benefit in installing them and I think they'd be just much better off if they fixed the ones they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭griffdlk

Donal wanting us to join the USI is also influencing this opinion tbh. We left the USI way back in 2002 for very good reasons and I wonder has Donal even looked into these before petitioning to reaffiliate ourselves with them.

I didn't actually advise that we should re-join the USI straight away.
    I feel, however that we have isolated ourselves from the national issues that face the student population such as a registration fee that is 600% higher then the one that was introduced in with the term 'free education' attached to it.

I have done research and have been involved before in some USI events such as the march on Dáil Eireann in 2003 fighting against the re-introduction of fees.

I have spoken to President of St. Pats Student Union Shane Davis about the benefits that are attached to membership of the USI.

These include helping out in any campaigns that the Union wishes to run and also helping with and organising elections.

Considering that the election itself appears to be slowly falling into farce as the constitution has not been adhered to by the electoral committee (there is a meeting about this tomorrow) then I feel that such input is very useful.

I have spoken to USI President Tony McDonnell about DCU's current position outside of the USI.

He advised me that when he approached Yvonne Tuohy at the beginning of the year he was shot down by someone who he described as nervy and suprized at the fact that a call had come from the USI at all.

He advised me that she appeared not to understand what the USI did and refused to enter a full conversation.

He also advised that DCU is currently the only college in Ireland who has refused any sort of dialogue with the USI in this college year.

NUI Maynooth and University of Limerick have both advised that they hope to re-join the USI within the next two years.

We were offered a place at the annual general meeting this year as an external adviser and we were also asked for input on the redrafting of the USI constitution.

I fully understand - and Tony also acknowledges - that DCU had reasons for leaving in 2002 and that other colleges also left as infighting left the USI nearing a complete split.

These splits appear to have healed for the most part and Tony McDonnell appears to be an extremelly affable, approachable and genuine guy.

What I said is that I would, if elected, begin talks once more with the USI and attempt to establish some sort of external association so that we can be involved on the national front once more without full commitment but with the intention of rejoining when we see a set of circumstances develop that would be of benefit to us.

I would also seek an amendment to the current constitution that would allow a referendum to be held every three years on membership of the USI - this system is in place in University of Cork amongst others.

I thoroughly believe that the collective voice is much stronger then the fragmented individuals.

There will be a general election next year.

DCU, given its size, should be the forefront of national student politics forcing all the main political parties to put education back at the top of their election manifestos.

These were not my only policies.

I also attempted to explain the benefits of the European Social Fund, something that is greatly beneficial to any members of the student population who are in financial difficulties.

I feel that the ESF has failed to advertised in any manner of note by the Union this year thus i'd hope to get it noted and utilized.

I also talked about the St Vincent dePaul Society and how I would like us to make it better.

Its already good but i'd like to be the best and see that we get involved in a similar scheme of feeding that homeless that is run by Trinity and with which NCAD is affiliated.

Whatever happens happens in all fairness.

I may not be running in the election anyway because i'm fed up of all the bitching, slurs and homophobia that appears to blackening this year's election.

I'll be speaking to the returning officer about this tomorrow.

If I do decide to continue running then only vote for me if you believe I can make changes that are beneficial to the college.

If I can't and my opponent can't then I really see no point in voting because it only means that we will reach quorum and thus one of us will be elected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement