Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

And you must be Donal, welcome to the boards mate, glad to see theres one of you around these parts. :D

Hrm, the issue of the USI is indeed a tricky one however you're policy on the matter seems rather intelligent, if not rather...opportunistic?
    What I said is that I would, if elected, begin talks once more with the USI and attempt to establish some sort of external association so that we can be involved on the national front once more without full commitment but with the intention of rejoining when we see a set of circumstances develop that would be of benefit to us.
    Is that basically saying we show our faces, be seen to contribute to Union at an external level but not actually be held accountable if anything goes wrong but if things start going right THEN we should join? :D

You also mention that "DCU is currently the only college in Ireland who has refused any sort of dialogue with the USI in this college year" however you only said that Mr. McDonnell contacted Yvonne Tuohy. Would it not have made more sense to contact Sarah Farrell on this issue or was this done but just never mentioned? I'm just curious thats all...

Also I was of the impression that it was the Union Council who dictated whether or not we were affiliated with the USI so bascially you wish to amend the constitution to allow the students have a vote every three years. My question then is how are you going to encourage the student body to vote on such an issue when the majority of the student body know practically nothing of the work of the USI?

Oh and do you have your manifesto on-line? I wouldnt mind giving it a quick read. :)

And finally to finish up, don't give up due to the "bitching, slurs and homophobia" how about running a completly clean campagin yourself and setting an example for others. It might restore some of the students faith in the election process.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭griffdlk

Unfortunatly as far as an online manafesto goes I think this as good as you're going to get on it at the moment, I had many plans to write a manifesto and start printing flyers and other campaign based things but a lot of stuff started getting said on Friday and I think I more or less gave up on the whole thing.

Really been disillusioned by the whole thing.

Only up still because been thinking and re-thinking whether I should be running in the election at all.

I started my campaign because I thoroughly believe in national representation for students.

Sarah Farrell was contacted aswell and it was the same response.

I highlighted Yvonne purely because surely as Education Officer, and since the position of campaigns/information officer didn't exist at the time, she should have taken on the responsibility for attempting to work with others to achieve 1994-96 Fine Gael/Labour coalition's 'Free Education' promise.

I think the term opportunist is well founded.

We need to do whats best for our students therefore joining in with the USI and attempting to change it for the better whilst in the mean time partaking in the campaigns in which we can fully believe seems justifiable to me.

We must grasp the opportunity of a national voice once more.

If things go bad then its up to the student population of Ireland not just DCU to solve them and work through them.

As far as publicising the USI I believe that it is imperative that there are debates held over the matter.

The Hustings was in the open air, I think an open debate between USI President Tony McDonnell and someone like Elaine Bannon who is completely anti-USI would be very constructive.

UCC student union does not allow any members of their union to campaign publically for the USI at the time of the referendum.

The USI is however to enter the campus to provide information.

I feel that this is the correct approach to take as it should be more about informing the proletariat with all the information that they need to make an unbiased decision.

Thats why we need people like Elaine to be speaking against it in a debate with Tony.

Anyway i'm knackered so gonna head for the sack.

Cheers for the comment, was actually about to write an email to the returning officer that I was leaving the election campaign when I noticed your response.

Hope I provided the answers you required and gonna put off my decision on the election until tomorrow at the meeting now.

griffdlk wrote:
    UCC student union does not allow any members of their union to campaign publically for the USI at the time of the referendum.

The USI is however to enter the campus to provide information.

I feel that this is the correct approach to take as it should be more about informing the proletariat with all the information that they need to make an unbiased decision.
    Hrm, I'm not sure thats a good approach to be honest. My problem with it lies in the fact that you would have an organised and motivated body, the USI, campaigning in favour of affiliation while in contrast you would have a (more than likely anyway) divided and perhaps even apathetic SU trying to resist it. As I said while this would not be a good approach it may in actual fact still be the lesser of two evils in this sense, with either banning the USI from campus or allowing current SU members campaign for them being the greater of those said evils.

Meh, overall I still think we should stay in the position we are in. We have far too many more important issues to be worrying about here on our own campus than to be diverting attention to national issues. Sure the topic of registration fees is an important one but so is mantaining a high level of education and indeed atmosphere here on our own campus. Maybe when we have made progress in this area can we begin to reach out and become involved on the national forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

We have far too many more important issues to be worrying about here on our own campus than to be diverting attention to national issues. on the national forum.

Your right, I mean those doors in the hub are death traps, accident waiting to happen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

eoge wrote:
    Of course it's a piss-take; and the guy has an excellent sense of humour! From what I know of the candidates (my knowledge is limited as I'm not a DCU student, but I'm kept informed by DCU friends of mine), Brian is the best qualified for the job.

If it is actually a piss-take, then it's decent - I dunno, it just wasn't too clearly labelled as to what it was. I was only half-watching it/half-listening to music. Still though. The direction was just lacking.

I've read all the manifesto's and outlines and - yeah - Brian probably is the best guy for the job. He spoke fairly passionately to me about the issues, and really did seem fairly concerned.

However, in the back of my mind, Alan did do a great job as humanities convenor.

RE: Broken Doors. Surely they're talking about the ones in the business building? One of them closed on my arm about a month back. Closed. On my arm. If that happened to someone else (an American, perhaps), I'm sure compensation would be sought :P.

eoge wrote:
    Of course it's a piss-take; and the guy has an excellent sense of humour! From what I know of the candidates (my knowledge is limited as I'm not a DCU student, but I'm kept informed by DCU friends of mine), Brian is the best qualified for the job.

Incidentally, I presume you're the guy who edited it? It was quite well done in *that* sense...good scene transitions and such. Just the theme/tone could've been tweaked IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

NoelRock wrote:
    Incidentally, I presume you're the guy who edited it? It was quite well done in *that* sense...good scene transitions and such. Just the theme/tone could've been tweaked IMO.
    Nope, I had nothing to do with it. But yes, it could be better; but it's only a bit of a laugh!

I'd give Brian a vote (if I had one) because of his experience and his dedication. He spent months talking to students about what needs to be done and researched his manifesto thoroughly. His aims and goals are ambitious yet realistic.

I like his manifesto and I hear that others do too; he seems to have directly inspired at least one of the other candidates!

Alan Flanagan seems good as well but I don't think he has as much experience as Brian. Brian's his elder by three years too, if that makes any difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

In terms of bein suitably qualified its a two horse race, between Alan Flanagan and Brian Smyth, but it really is a popularity contest.

Half the manifesto stuff is bullsh1t. 'More bus routes/parking' etc. In fairness, the SU president of DCU would not have enough power to lobby Dublin Bus for more buses unless we were in dire need.

And revolving doors, wat a fcuking sh*t idea. Wat about wheelchair accessibility etc. For this, and many other reasons, I believe they're fine as they are.

I hope someone seriously challenged the candidate in question (I don't know who proposed this) at the hustings if this was brought up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

This is from Brian Smyth's manifesto, but it could be any of them. After four years here, I'll just give a quick opinion on what I think of the manifestos. (manifesti?!)
    I will bring out a new look (more interesting!!)An Tarbh that includes more input from students, with an independent editor to ensure that the publication is given the full attention and impartiality it deserves. I also will ensure clubs and societies are better represented and the magazine comes out on time every week.

They all say this, every year. I don't have a problem with An Tarbh, but I don't believe that any of these candidates will really change it.
    I will open the Union up to all students and make the offices a welcoming place where students do not feel intimidated. I will ensure the Union is not a ‘clique’ and remembers that it represents ALL students.

There is nothing Brian, or anyone else can do to change the perception of the SU as a clique.
    For big SU Events with good acts it is acceptable to charge 10 Euro in, but not 3 nights during Rag Week like this year

Bar Exts cost money, the former presidents didn't charge €10 for Bar Exts for no reason. Unless he wants to run some events at a loss (if they're poorly attended), there will have to charge €10 in, regardless if there's a big act playing or not.
    I will organise events with the input of the entire SU executive and students.

The attitude of students to the SU (as above), and the apathy of students in DCU won't allow for this IMO.
    I will reestablish the Canteen Prices Committee to ensure us students have a say in what we are being charged on a daily basis

Don't think that this committee will have power to lobby the canteen company.
    My first step is to ensure that revolving doors replace the broken automatic doors at both entrances to the building. I have been working on this issue and hope to have the new doors installed over the summer if elected.

If this is done, I believe it will be absolute stupidity, particularly if the hub is going to be as well attended as the candidates want. Actually, its a laughable idea, what is he thinking?

I really hope the victorius candidate proves me wrong. I won't be here to see it next year, but after four years of empty promises, I wouldn't hold much hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭*Shelly*

eoge wrote:
    I'd give Brian a vote (if I had one) because of his experience and his dedication. He spent months talking to students about what needs to be done and researched his manifesto thoroughly. His aims and goals are ambitious yet realistic.

Alan Flanagan seems good as well but I don't think he has as much experience as Brian. Brian's his elder by three years too, if that makes any difference!
    Ok well if Brian was supposed to be gathering information of what students want then why is it that he has managed to alienate huge numbers of students. Brian is very much involved with certain societies and due to that fact gives special and preferantial treatment, something which is not allowed as an SPC chair. You are spposed to be completely unbiased in that role and so far i have seen a lot of bias from him. Perish the thought that he would be President, then his society would be taking over the college.

Alan Flanagan on the other hand seems to have a lot more experience imo due to the fact that he has been on the Students Union for all of semester 2. He's been learning from the inside which i think holds great merit. I believe he is most qualified and that him out of all the candidates is the one with the students to the very forefront of his mind

*Shelly* wrote:
    Ok well if Brian was supposed to be gathering information of what students want then why is it that he has managed to alienate huge numbers of students. Brian is very much involved with certain societies and due to that fact gives special and preferantial treatment, something which is not allowed as an SPC chair. You are spposed to be completely unbiased in that role and so far i have seen a lot of bias from him. Perish the thought that he would be President, then his society would be taking over the college.
    What?
    *Shelly* wrote:
    Alan Flanagan on the other hand seems to have a lot more experience imo due to the fact that he has been on the Students Union for all of semester 2.
    A whole semester?! Impressive. Alan for president then! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭*Shelly*

eoge wrote:
    What?

Did you not understand what i said? or is it to complicated for you

'
    eoge wrote:
    A whole semester?! Impressive. Alan for president then! :p
    Well what has Brian got? Chair of SPC for a year? Thats hardly the same as being on the Students Union. At least Alan has that experience

*Shelly* wrote:
    Did you not understand what i said? or is it to complicated for you
    It was too complicated for me.
    *Shelly* wrote:
    Well what has Brian got? Chair of SPC for a year? Thats hardly the same as being on the Students Union. At least Alan has that experience
    You know little about the position of the Chair of SPC then. But indeed, Alan does have that experience and that's why he's a worthy candidate. I've heard Brian himself say that Alan's manifesto is quite good and Brian has respect for the guy. But Brian's college and professional experience goes beyond that. Brian is a natural leader and has wisdom that I'm not sure a 19 year old could match.

But I could be wrong. All of this is just my personal opinion; I'm not representing anyone here. Good luck to all the candidates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

ok, last year we all voted for the candidate with the most experience, SPC, SFC, Music Soc, ETC and how has she worked out as an SU pres??

Em didnt you say this earlier?
    (my knowledge is limited as I'm not a DCU student, but I'm kept informed by DCU friends of mine)
    And now this...
    eoge wrote:
    You know little about the position of the Chair of SPC then....
    Unless your friends explained to you the inner workings of both the SPC and SU then I'm confused tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

The role of SPC chair is not that demanding, IMHO. You have the option to sit on many committee's such as the office of student life, and HMC but this is open to all the members of the Socieities and Publications committee (as I myself sit on the office of student lfe as a SPC rep) and it does not have to be the chair as stated in the constitution,who sits on these committees, though in most cases it is.
    Aside from these committee's you have to chair the weekly meetings and you have the casting vote. As all members of the SPC attend a high percentage of meetings on an annual basis this is as demanding as you make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

eoge wrote:
    But I could be wrong. All of this is just my personal opinion; I'm not representing anyone here. Good luck to all the candidates!

After all those pro-Brian posts, I think it's hilarious that you suddenly decide you want to wish all the candidates good luck! Good cover there :-)

I know all the candidates have different levels of experience and different backgrounds so I'm unfairly picking out Brian but anyway....

Brian sat on Societies & Publications, Hub Management and Student Finance this year. Last night (at the Presidents Debate) he preached about openness, communication and teamwork. During this year:

- No minutes were ever made public for any of the countless meetings those bodies had. The hundreds of thousands of euro that was allocated and approved by them were never annouced or disclosed which they are required to do.

No effort was ever made to make those minutes public although several excuses, all without merit were offered. How can he talk about communication and openness when he has clearly demonstrated a lack of willingness to do either?

- The SPC, which elected Brian as its representative to HMC and SFC, were never informed of what happened at those meetings, even when issues affecting societies were discussed. How does teanwork work?

- Brian failed, on several occasions, to pass on issues or requests from the SPC to those committees, even though his role on them is precisely to do that: represent the SPC.

- After agreeing a set of guidelines about allocation of money, Brian consistently ignored that document when his own societies came under discussion, in one case giving them three times more for flights than the SPC had given to most other societies during the year.

- After a year on SPC during which time they added no new content to life.dcu.ie and gave societies no help in updating their own profiles, Brian insists that these problems will be fixed over the summer and it'll be great next year and will take off.

Don't get me started on his idea to spend tens of thousands of euros ripping out both front walls of the hub so he can have his revolving doors when a few hundred euro would fix the existing doors and have the same effect. If you're blowing other peoples money (not even SU's money), you may as well do it in style if you've no idea what you're doing.

To be fair, his other ideas have merit. Although the canteen pricing committee died in flames years ago, it's definitely a good stick to beat TriStar with. Signage in the hub is a definite issue which he has addressed. Parking, events, the shop are all good if unoriginal ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fresher2005

what i dont understand is why all the candidates have to be so negative towards the current su, it just makes them look nasty. from my understanding, it's impossible to do everything in a year and this year they only had 2 sabbats.
    candidates only have to compete with eachother not the current su and if they really cared about the su then they wouldnt be bad-mouthing it unnecessarily. just my 2 cents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

what i dont understand is why all the candidates have to be so negative towards the current su, it just makes them look nasty. from my understanding, it's impossible to do everything in a year and this year they only had 2 sabbats.
    candidates only have to compete with eachother not the current su and if they really cared about the su then they wouldnt be bad-mouthing it unnecessarily. just my 2 cents...
    I agree. I think the whole "I'm going to show the SU who's boss/give the old SU a kick up the arse" stuff is largely immature and unprofessional.
    EDIT: I voted today anyway. Lollypop yields were pretty good.

I have to agree that the SU have done alot of good this year especially in influencing the influx of new computers.

I pulled out of the election yesterday.

Couldn't see how a load of people bitching about each other and about the current regime was possibly going to construct a positive and productive union.

Its true that they only have a year to do what they feel is neccessary and at this point I don't know how there is going to be a good changeover if the incoming officers have slamed the current officers so much therefore policies that needed long term investment of time may be lost in the changeover.

Obviously everyone wants change to things that are not conducive to students needs but some of the candidates unfortunatly appeared to believe that money grows on trees and they had control over things that they clearly don't.

Anyway i'll leave it at that since my reason for leaving was because fed up with the slander and bitching but obviously I appear to be slipping into the same thing here:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

I have to agree that the SU have done alot of good this year especially in influencing the influx of new computers.

No offence, but SU had nothing to do with this. It was on the cards long before the current SU took office. Likewise, you should not believe that the current candidates are really going to make a difference on the issue of new pc's. Its an easy point to raise and sound good ranting about, but the machines are used for their full lifecycle (and then some). Necessity, not politiking, is what usually results in PC upgrades.

every year, everyone's manifesto is the same - events, computers, prices on campus.

no-one can understand what its like being on the SU exec unless you've actually been there. and i have been there. i know exactly what it takes to be on the SU exec. fair enough i dont know all the little details about each role, but i do know what it takes to fufill the roles.

the SU isn't just about events. its a whole heap of other things. fair enough events are what most students see as the SU doing, but they dont know what goes on behind the scenes.

last year as science convenor i had to sit on lots of things:
    -union council - all the class reps (i say ALL cautiously, maybe about 15-20 each meeting)
    -executive council - the su exec, where decisions were made
    -academic council - where all the senior staff sit and talk about education. lots and lots of important things there. uaneen module being brought in for academic credits was just one of them.
    -faculty board committee - all the school heads in my faculty, the head of the faculty, and a few other big dudes. and me.
    -programme boards - class reps are supposed to attend. most rarely do. its where decisions about your course are being made.
    -disciplinary committee - can't discuss this one, sorry.

and a few others that i dont remember. (it was a long year)

thats just what i had to sit on as a convenor - the education and welfare officer will have to sit on so many more. i can't even remember how many committees damo sat on, but it was a huge amount. they sit on all the big important ones.

the president - all the candidates want to be visable. when will they have the time? most of the time the SU pres spends on campus is out of the hub. at meetings, at openings of brown paper bags, you know the general drift. they are the face of the students - they get invited to everything. its like an unwritten rule.

campaigns and info officer - thats a new one. I'd say mikey will be good at it (provided he gets elected - which is quite likely, he's running unopposed). I've worked with mikey before (he was humanities convenor the year i was science and health convenor) and i know that he has the experience needed to work in the position. he's also great at organising things.

on the note of computers - the computers in the library are bought by the library. the only computers that CSD buy are the ones in the CSD labs. most faculties have their own computing facilities. (actually all faculties have their own computing facilities - some just have better ones!!) its up to the individual faculties to provide in their own faculties.
    Sonderval wrote:
    Necessity, not politiking, is what usually results in PC upgrades.
    have to disagree with you there. its not just necessity that results in upgrades - its also a hell of a lot of hassleing the powers that be. do-i-have-to-remove-you-from-my-office kinda hassleing. but it works.

i also think its a shocking disgrace that the SU president is automatically considered the editor of an tarbh - while mags glennon wasn't exactly perfect, an tarbh was so much better when someone else was involved in the publication. external publication officer all the way please. cos to be fair it is a full time job in itself. as it is they have some journalism (i could be wrong) student on intra to do an tarbh. an tarbh is a great thing to have, its just so under utilised. it also shouldn't be used as a notice board for clubs and societies. that's what life.dcu.ie is for. but that in itself is a story for another day.

i think its great that there's "election fever" on campus - it can only be good for dcu. almost makes me want to run.

which reminds me, SCC AGM at 1pm in the seminar room in the hub, today. (wednesday) any clubs out there wanna give me a vote? :P

anywho, back on topic! (which i'm not sure of anymore!) elections. yes that's it. I love election time. i just think its a shame that a guy in my class voted for the hotter person on the ballot sheet. :rolleyes: think thats worse than not voting at all. unfortunatly it'll probably come down to a popularity vote - whoever has the most friends will win it. i know of very few people who actually bothered to look at the manifesto's. i did. hence i used my vote properly.

anywho, think thats enough election rant from me. and would you believe that i wasn't even in the bar? this is all sober me !!!

Lies, I saw you hovering outside the bar earlier this evening, don't tell me you didnt go in! :D

As usual however I had to drag my mates to the ballot stations. As we were leaving the bar to go into town some them were even going to walk past the station and just not bother. Its this kind of attitude that needs to be fixed tbh. :o

Lies, I saw you hovering outside the bar earlier this evening, don't tell me you didnt go in! :D

i was actually getting a friend to vote too. didn't go to the bar cos i had training. (well stand-on-the-sidelines-cos-i'm-injured) went for coffee instead.

baby jesus doesn't like alcohol. he also doesn't like the new testament. i told the bible bashers this the other they and they ran away. twas hil-hair-ious.

Sonderval wrote:
    No offence, but SU had nothing to do with this. It was on the cards long before the current SU took office. Likewise, you should not believe that the current candidates are really going to make a difference on the issue of new pc's. Its an easy point to raise and sound good ranting about, but the machines are used for their full lifecycle (and then some). Necessity, not politiking, is what usually results in PC upgrades.

I have to disagree, I'm not a huge fan of the union but I do believe that Sarah had a lot to do with the new computers in the library. At the start of the year the college were saying there was not enough money for new computers, even though they were a necessity, but after a lot of meetings Sarah managed to get some new computers into the library.
    So that is one major plus for this years Union, and they have done up the Venue which was really needed

Anyone word on the number of people who turned up yesterday? Good turnout so far?

yesterday there was over 1200 votes by 6 o clock, I don't know what evening voting was like though

Not to shabby at all.

One thing though, is it just me or was there no allstudents mail sent out telling people when the elections were on or was that just the Returning Officers one?

Not to shabby at all.

One thing though, is it just me or was there no allstudents mail sent out telling people when the elections were on or was that just the Returning Officers one?
    just the returning officer - that's his job!!

Hrm, how odd. I do remember a mail but I can't see to recall the dates that were given. Meh, it was probably due to project stress that I wasnt paying attention. I'll put it like this, I didn't know the elections were on until I was goign to the bar later that day, same for most of my mates.:o

That said did anyone notice the fact that Alan had the election dates on his posters? I thought that was the most intelligent thing I've seen from a candidate so far! :D

• Advertisement

I thought it was quite clever of the electoral commitee to have the polling station in the hub open until 10pm on €3 a drink tuesday.
    Guranteed a lot more people would be voting especially since they'd have there student cards on them to get into the hub.

Polling closes around 5 today so...

...when are the results due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Typically around 1am :-)

markpb wrote:
    Typically around 1am :-)

Aw, balls. Have a student-oriented radio show between 9 and 10, would've been a hoot to have live results! Alas, no.

What did you think of brian smyth's flashbox on bebo?It was kinda cringeworthy good.:)
    May i add student politics is dead and gone in NUIG.Only 6%of the students voted in the full time officers election.

Lets just say I'm glad I have Flashblock installed for Firefox. Watched the first few seconds and then hit F5 as fast I could. :D

i wonder could we convince them to post live results up somewhere as they happen, cos they wont send an all students mail til tomorrow morning. and i'm too cosy at home to go back up to college to find out tonight!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

griffdlk wrote:
    I thought it was quite clever of the electoral commitee to have the polling station in the hub open until 10pm on €3 a drink tuesday.
    Guranteed a lot more people would be voting especially since they'd have there student cards on them to get into the hub.
    I thought it was a great idea as well, though they'd gotten 1200ish votes by 5 on the tuesday, regardless of 3 euro drinks!

Thought it was clever either way because those who were going to the pub ended up voting and those who were voting ended up in the pub.
    I'd say the old bar brought in a huge amount this Tuesday, the place was packing up by 4 o'clock.
    Usually it doesnt get that busy until around 7 at the earliest.

• Advertisement

Jesjes wrote:
    I thought it was a great idea as well, though they'd gotten 1200ish votes by 5 on the tuesday, regardless of 3 euro drinks!
    gotta love reaching quorum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Actually thats an idea, you could set venue up if drama didn't mind too much and do it like real elections where you have candidates stand up there and returning officers read out results and do usual spiel and a little speech after as well, I would be half tempted to attend that

come on people, pres should be announced by now! count started at 7...

i hate the waiting game!

did you vote rob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Results are usually not till like .... around midnight or 1am (or so says Redbrickers)

Winters wrote:
    Results are usually not till like .... around midnight or 1am (or so says Redbrickers)
    some come earlier - the count doesn't take that long

i just thought it would be earlier this year cos the count started earlier.

Ah I'm sure it'll leak soon. You'll have little kids running around campus with those funny little caps shouting "Extra extra..." and carrying big bundles of the College View with the elections on the front page soon enough. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

rugbug86 wrote:
    some come earlier - the count doesn't take that long

i just thought it would be earlier this year cos the count started earlier.

with 3 main candidates, expect a few recounts if votes are close... unless of course alan walks it, cos frankly the other two seemed like muppets going on their manifestos... speaking of that, did alan have his manifesto online anywhere?

www.alanflanagan.com
    Ah I'm sure it'll leak soon. You'll have little kids running around campus with those funny little caps shouting "Extra extra..." and carrying big bundles of the College View with the elections on the front page soon enough.

pesky children

That said did anyone notice the fact that Alan had the election dates on his posters? I thought that was the most intelligent thing I've seen from a candidate so far! :D

did anyone notice that on his website he has the wrong polling dates on his posters?

Just spoke to one of the candidates and there were 1905 votes cast in total according to the returning officer.
    Could be very long night.
    They were still trying to sort the ballots at ten.

taken from life.dcu.ie...

1905 votes polled

result of president expected at 4am!

• Advertisement
Advertisement