Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurt...Johnny Cash or Nine Inch Nails

Options
  • 06-03-2006 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Well which version of the song 'Hurt' do you prefer??? Is it the original version written by Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails or is it the tear-jerking version by Johnny Cash??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

My sig should express my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

fade2black wrote:
    My sig should express my opinion.

Your sig inspired me to start this thread fade2black....:D ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

there was a poll on this not too long agoa nd as far as I remember, Johnny Cash's version won. I prefer his version too, as I dont like NIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I think Cash did an amazing job with a great song. It shows the genius of the song from Trent Reznor which justifies many fans views for a long time. Cash manages to make it his own like is very uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I like the Cash version better recorded, but when I saw them live, NIN played a stonking rendition of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rp171

not only do i prefer cash's version but imho the video is one of the best. simple and incredibly poignant, sheer quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I've never been much of a fan of Johnny Cash' music (even though I recognise how influential he was) but his version of Hurt was stunning.

I'd probably just lean towards NIN original version though. Tough question I must say!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

NIN for me, hands down, Cash does a great version but i still NIN one has a darker edge to it. The video doesn't come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭StJimmy

So who recorded the origional?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

StJimmy wrote:
    So who recorded the origional?
    Nine Inch Nails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

gotta be Cash's version for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Too tough to call without 48 solid hours of listening to nothing but those 2 versions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

weemcd wrote:

very good....kinda hard to keep up with everyones threads in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

Completely agree with Zane from MTV, I have one and only one Johnny Cash record in my entire forty-year-old collection of tapes, disks, vinyls, MDs, CDs, cassettes and MP3s and it's Hurt. Knocked me out of my chair first time I saw it on TOTP. Production, stunning; performance, stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Johnny Cash by a mile!
    Nine Inch Nails versions sounds terrible.Not just the song,but the actual quality.It sounds like it could be something from the 50's

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Johnny Cash by the proverbial mile. His later series of covers were truly excellent, and Hurt is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Johnny Cash IMO. The video is breathtaking as well...it's so sad..

But here's the thing...I hate 'Johnny Cash fans' who call him a legend even though they only know this song (Hurt)...and it's not even by him! Though he does do a fantastic version of it, why can't people buy some of his earlier albums and listen to a different Cash song..

But 'The Man Comes Around' is a great album (and song)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

cash makes it more complete, reznor's sounds lacking in comparison. NIN's version is still great, but he could never put the feeling into it that a dying man could. it's almost unfair to compare them.

as for the video, greatest music video i've ever seen, ever

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

deadduck wrote:
    cash makes it more complete, reznor's sounds lacking. easy to say now, and NIN's version is still great, but he could never put the feeling into it that a dying man could. it's almost unfair to compare them.

as for the video, greatest music video i've ever seen, ever

I couldn't agree more!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement