Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking questions....(semi-noobish)

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

cozzy whats the full name for the MX-1 thermal paste.is it no overclockers.co.uk

fount it but were can you get it not in knoplett or oc.co.uk

Are you drunk?:D

Komplett and OcUk Dont stock it.

What cooler are you planning on using it with?

Because AS5 is better on most coolers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

planing to use it on a Arctic cooling Freezer 64 pro

also ment i found the make of it lol not what shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

It comes included with the AC64, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, it comes with it pre-applied.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I haven't had any spare computer time recently but I'll hopefully have some on Wednesday and I'll crack away at the problem then.

Well....looks like I finally got the problem sorted. I had to disable any of the "auto" settings (like ram timings, etc.). Now I have a stable overclock at 1.475V and 2.4GHz on my 3800+ X2. Once again that pic that conzy posted came in handy.

I'm running linux on it, and discovered that there's a prime95 torture test available on that too. :) I ran it overnight without any issues, so it looks like I'm sorted.

How long is the CPU likely to last at that voltage / frequency? Will the overclock seriously affect CPU lifetime? I can also get 2.2GHz at 1.425V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Khannie wrote:
    How long is the CPU likely to last at that voltage / frequency? Will the overclock seriously affect CPU lifetime? I can also get 2.2GHz at 1.425V.

it will lost.. oh maybe 10 years or more, lol. that mujch of an increase will not reall affect t at all mate

Nice one. Thanks gline.

So just for clarity: A 20% overclock on frequency, and a 10% voltage bump wont noticeably affect the lifetime of the processor? What's all this rubbish you hear about overclocking being bad for your processor then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Khannie wrote:
    Nice one. Thanks gline.

So just for clarity: A 20% overclock on frequency, and a 10% voltage bump wont noticeably affect the lifetime of the processor? What's all this rubbish you hear about overclocking being bad for your processor then?

it does shorten the life, but hardly noticeable seen as a cou could last 20years or more. basically the warnings are for a big increase in voltage not 10%

Nice one. Thanks. I'd be happy to get 3 years out of it and write it off at that point.

Advertisement