Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felt Roof - Opinions Please

Options
  • 06-03-2006 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Attached is a photo of my garden shed.

I would like your feed-back and opinions on how well the felt has been fitted.

How do you rate the fitting of the felt on this roof ? 0 votes

Very professional job - totally water proof - will never cause problems
    0% 0 votes
    Fitted by cowboys - is probably letting in water
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

my opinion would be
    ARGH!
    Looks like it was done with cast offs from another job.
    Should be single strips running from end to end with no joins.
    Strips should start at the bottom and be overlapped until they reach the top when one final strip should be used.
    I'd prefer if the joins were tarred aswell as the felt nails, but that might just be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

I came to this forum before i bought this shed asking for advice on where i should buy...

On the advice of you good people - i ended up with the poorly fitted felt roof as shown. I am not suggesting that i received bad advice here. I guess that i was unlucky- a big reputable company who sub-contract out the fitting are likely to have some rouge fitters.

I contacted the manufacture once i realised that i had a problem, the roof is leaking - they were very nice a arranged for someone to call by and look at the shed. Only now i realise that it was probably the same gunter that fitted it originally, subsequent conversations with the manufacturer were along the lines of - our fitter visited your property and there is nothing wrong with the roof - it is not leaking it just hasn't had a chance to dry out yet.

I decided that i wanted to give this company some bad press - so i took the photo attached above and posted here to see what other peoples opinions were. I also sent on the photo to the manufacture who once they'd seen the photo phoned me to say they'd have a fitter out next week to replace all the felt.

So no need to name and shame - although i would be happier if they'd just taken my word rather than listen to their scumbag fitter - ah well rant over - thanks for the replies. :D

Although i might be back because it's not sorted yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I do believe you left out one line in your poll, "Is this a Joke ?"

I don't have to leave this chair to tell you that the roof in that photo will leak, and yes water does move side ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

is that roof finished!!

best bet is to bang on a few laths and tile the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi p2,

At the moment water is the enemy, garden sheds are not designed to take the weight of tiles, maybe a tile sheet but then again he should get what he paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I think you should still name and shame. This type of bad workmanship is thankfully uncommon but apparently there are still plenty of suppliers out there who are quiet willing to "hoodwink" the unsuspecting public. My opinion would be that the manufacturer may not be as innocent as you believe. I'll be getting one of these sheds in the Kildare area during the summer and I'd like to be sure I don't get the same supplier as you did. PM me if you do not want to make their name public.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

squire1 wrote:
    I think you should still name and shame. This type of bad workmanship is thankfully uncommon but apparently there are still plenty of suppliers out there who are quiet willing to "hoodwink" the unsuspecting public. My opinion would be that the manufacturer may not be as innocent as you believe. I'll be getting one of these sheds in the Kildare area during the summer and I'd like to be sure I don't get the same supplier as you did. PM me if you do not want to make their name public.

Thanks

Hmm,
    if the company he bought the shed from subcontracts the installation, then he should trust that they will make his shed good and trust that they will deal with the fitters in their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I've no doubt that they will make good the work but I'd still be worried using this company. It's obvious from the picture that either the fitter didn't know what they were doing or else just didn't care. Either way, why were the manufacturers using them? And why did they initially deny that there was a problem? I'd just rather avoid problems than have to fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think there are lots of people who would not realise that this was a crappy job and would say nothing.
    Then the next winter the roof is leaking and they dont know what to do.
    Better off naming them I reckon, on the off chance that one of these people see this thread and know what to avoid.

They can blame contractors all they want, but your agreement was with them, not the contractors so its they who have let you (and themselves) down.

Advertisement