Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unethical Estate Agents

Options
  • 06-03-2006 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can report this agent to?

I was bidding on a house last week & twice I was told I was sale agreed, only to have the agent come back & say, sorry, another couple have just bid so you're not sale agreed. Ended up having to go €9k more to get the house..

I was told at one stage that although I was the highest bidder, the vendor wanted to sell to the other bidders cos they'd been bidding from the beginning.. I had to up my offer by €2k to stay in the running.

Presuming that because I hadn't got the deposit to them at that stage, they are within their rights to do this, but personally I think it stinks. By the time we finally got the house I was down in the dumps & couldn't care less.. Don't think they're a member of the IAVI, so can't report to them.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Oral Slang wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone knows where I can report this agent to?

I was bidding on a house last week & twice I was told I was sale agreed, only to have the agent come back & say, sorry, another couple have just bid so you're not sale agreed. Ended up having to go €9k more to get the house..

I was told at one stage that although I was the highest bidder, the vendor wanted to sell to the other bidders cos they'd been bidding from the beginning.. I had to up my offer by €2k to stay in the running.

Presuming that because I hadn't got the deposit to them at that stage, they are within their rights to do this, but personally I think it stinks. By the time we finally got the house I was down in the dumps & couldn't care less.. Don't think they're a member of the IAVI, so can't report to them.

Same thing happened me last week.

Vendor said he wanted all deals done by 12 on Tuesday and who ever had highest bid then got the house. I had highest bid. Was told to have deposit down in the their office the next day and it'll be sorted. Just before I took the deposit out of the credit union I was told I'd been out bid.

Couldnt afford it then and lost the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Its dreadful isn't it!
    Although I got the house, can't say I'm delighted..
    I really would love to tell them to forget it, but we've been looking & bidding on houses for 6 months now & I'm just sick of it. We've been outbid on houses so many times, its just not funny anymore..
    Really hate the way houses are sold over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

very very unprofessional to do that. if they verbally said it was sale agreed then i think any sane person would agree its sale agreed.

if u think thats bad, theres a well known estate agent that continues viewing houses after a sale has been agreed and the deposit paid! a friend of mine told him the other day if u did that and there was paper work to be signed by someone and u did that to me id kill u! needless to say he wasnt impressed

all gone to the dogs unfortunately..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Ah great, well a quick update. I got a call about an hour ago from the auctioneer, saying that the other people bidding called into the vendors house yesterday & went €2k higher!!!
    Fecks sake, 3 times we've been sale agreed & 3 times the auctioneers have reneged on a verbal contract.. Told them to shove it, but I'm just so depressed now. All weekend we were sure we had it & now we're back to square one. Dunno what to do now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Oral Slang wrote:
    Ah great, well a quick update. I got a call about an hour ago from the auctioneer, saying that the other people bidding called into the vendors house yesterday & went €2k higher!!!
    Fecks sake, 3 times we've been sale agreed & 3 times the auctioneers have reneged on a verbal contract.. Told them to shove it, but I'm just so depressed now. All weekend we were sure we had it & now we're back to square one. Dunno what to do now!

Thats bad form but I know how you feel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

What would you report the guy for? He has to tell the seller of all offers. The unethical people could be the sellers. Sale agreed means nothing even when they have your deposit. The laws are more the problem than the estate agents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unfortunately at the end of the day- estate agents do not care who buys the house, just that the house sells for the maximum possible (in order to maximise their commission). Estate agents are not a profession (despite what they would have you think) anyone at all can become one- nor do you have anyone you can complain to in any meaningful manner (try complaining to the IAVI- been there, done that......).

Ethics really do not come into it- at the end of the day, the average estate agent would sell their granny if they thought there was a profit in it.

The best thing you can probably do is ask your solicitor to act as your agent in the matter and just keep out of the process altogether. I nearly went insane, and still am harbouring grevious bodily harm thoughts about how I was mistreated by an estate agent for a reputable nationwide company.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Thats terrible really, sorry about it. look at the bright side, maybe the place wasnt for u. the agent telling u it was sale agreed when it wasnt is the sign of a crap negotiater. id walk away and find another house from another vendor and another agent. START LOOKING IMMEDIATELY for another place, and dont hang about, thats the only thing to do. no point in getting down about it.

Advertisement