Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw LCD on sale, but now or wait?

• 06-03-2006 12:19pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Samsung LE40R51B for sale in Curry's. 1999 by itself, 2200 with large black glassy stand and a divx player thrown in. Can get 1 year interest free on this, so is tempting.

Given that this is about the same as the online price, and curry's are advertising it as 1000 off, good deal methinks? Or should I wait six months and see what things are like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

MarkR wrote:
    Samsung LE40R51B for sale in Curry's. 1999 by itself, 2200 with large black glassy stand and a divx player thrown in. Can get 1 year interest free on this, so is tempting.

Given that this is about the same as the online price, and curry's are advertising it as 1000 off, good deal methinks? Or should I wait six months and see what things are like?

My friends just bought it on the weekend - and the manager said this offer will only be available until Wednesday, then the price goes back up to 2300.

I have the 32" version of it and it's brilliant.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yeah, I got the same speech too.. Told me was supposed to end last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Well, if your gonna go for it let me know

Quazzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

MarkR wrote:
    Yeah, I got the same speech too.. Told me was supposed to end last week.

That is probably so that you rush in and buy now...

If you want a tv then go ahead and buy. If you want to research that particular model a bit more, do a search on www.avforums.com.

Price sounds okay. I know someone with the 32" and it looks great too (360).

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

MarkR wrote:

One years free interest??- so you will still be paying for it in 12 months time and another newer model will then be out.

I more of the opinion that you should have the cash to buy it and if not - make sure you have done your homework on it as you might be pissed off in 12 months still paying off a telly of which there is better out there.

,.....but feck that - buy it and enjoy it!

Check avforums and see their opinions!

Best of luck

• Advertisement

I've gone through most of those pages actually. I'm even mentioned in one of them ;) .

I do tech support for them actually, but never really thought about buying them. Premium product and all. :D I have the 26 model over my shoulder here as one of our test units.

I'm aware of the reported tearing issues on the smaller screens with xboxes and the firmware update on the forums. Also been hearing al little on that site about buzzing adapters, again on the forums.

It's more the cost / will this be more expensive in six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

MarkR wrote:
    It's more the cost / will this be more expensive in six months.

In that case no, don't buy now. In six months the current 12ms response time screens are so "Jan 06" and you can instead buy one of those new fangled 08 ms ones. That is the time to buy it. Unless you wait for another 6 months to get the 08ms screens when the 04's are out...

You can see where this is going don't you? Either you feel that the cash that you are spending is worth it or not....
    Never mind what the shops tell you - there will always be a sale on somewhere some time soon with something on special. If they really want your business they will sell it to you.

L.

Yeah, been thinking over it and the reported "1000 off" is from the original price, and I can wait another six months or so to see what's kicking around then. Thanks for the advice folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Be aware the 40" is plagued with dead pixel problems. They day I was there (last week) 2 people were bringing them back. I brought back mine too. My friend did it twice. We were lucky as we both bought the cover warranty which covers this sort of thing. Eventually I packed it in with Currys, went into PCworld and picked up a 32" Samsung. They kindly agreed to test it in advance, and I ended up taking the demo model as the 2 in stock also had a dead pixel each. Overall its a nice screen - not as evenly lit or as vibrant as the Sony Bravia or LG. And there is some smearing on 360 games but not particularly noticeable unless you are looking for it. In contrast the Bravia despite it's 8ms rating was total pants for gaming. Terrestrial tv sucks on every LCD I have seen though. Quite grainy. But excellent for DVD's. In fact I recommend the Samsing HD850 player. I bought it and it's the best player I have every had. Being able to play Divx's is brilliant. Comes with a long hdmi cable too.

Advertisement