Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

overheating

Options
  • 06-03-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

I have a 96 Carina which has started to overheat as follows.

Engine warms up ok but then a random intervals the temp guage rises to
    full and then after a few mins drops back to normal.

Heater has stopped working

The rad needed a lot of water to top it up also.....(2-3 litres).....

There is no mayo in the oil filler cap or on dipstick, the exhaust emissions are fine (no steam) --- so it does not seem to be the head gasket.

I am guessing that I have a leak in a hose or burst rad --- maybe due to the very cool spell over the last week ....

Any opinions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

kyote00 wrote:
    I have a 96 Carina which has started to overheat as follows.

Engine warms up ok but then a random intervals the temp guage rises to
    full and then after a few mins drops back to normal.

Heater has stopped working

The rad needed a lot of water to top it up also.....(2-3 litres).....

There is no mayo in the oil filler cap or on dipstick, the exhaust emissions are fine (no steam) --- so it does not seem to be the head gasket.

I am guessing that I have a leak in a hose or burst rad --- maybe due to the very cool spell over the last week ....

Any opinions ?

Park it for while and let it run ,and see are u losing water underneath, i would have said thermostat, but the fact ur losing water it must be a leak....
    it might be losing water through the pump, which might only really activate when running?.

Advertisement