Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazing [Spore]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That looks really different.... When is it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Cannot wait for that.

Looks quality.

I read somewhere that it might be ported to ds. That'd be great if they could scale it down properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

That video is amazing, but it's the same stuff as was going around this time last year. I'd be very interested to hear about any actual progress on the game, any new details or release date info. It definitely looks like it'll have a lot to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

I know im playing devils advocate here, but, i saw this video last week and the first things i thought were 'yeah wow it looks innovative and original..but wheres the fun?'. Sorry, but aside from the innovation, the game just doesnt look like that much fun really, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I know im playing devils advocate here, but, i saw this video last week and the first things i thought were 'yeah wow it looks innovative and original..but wheres the fun?'. Sorry, but aside from the innovation, the game just doesnt look like that much fun really, imo.

Creating things. Making changes and seeing what happens. It's your perfect sandbox game, the same kind of appeal as Black & White/Sim City/Theme Park/The Sims. You could nearly call it a high tech evolution of Lego.

I enjoy games that let me be creative. I spend hours in RPGs getting my characters just right. I've spent more time in Galactic Civilizations 2 so far designing ships than I have actually playing the game. I love building up my empire just the way I want it in Civ. I make decisions in Sim City based on how I want my city to look, not on what's most profitable. I spent far more time designing tracks in Rollercoaster Tycoon than I did attempting the Scenarios.

Games don't always have to be competitive or challenging to be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

steviec wrote:
    Creating things. Making changes and seeing what happens. It's your perfect sandbox game, the same kind of appeal as Black & White/Sim City/Theme Park/The Sims. You could nearly call it a high tech evolution of Lego.

Yeah but thats the thing..black and white? isappointment, the sims, again, disappointment, even sim city disappointed me. Im just not getting my hopes up is all, the whole thing seems to reek of a molyneux-esque god sim hype thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

the whole thing seems to reek of a molyneux-esque god sim hype thing.

i dont see your problem :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Black and white bored me; never liked the sims, I like civ games and sim city is good but can get a little bit boring.

Spore is interesting, I bet I'll hate it, but I would be interested when it comes out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

that's from GDC 05, a year old now. this years GDC will have more about it i think, its on this month sometime. i cant wait for it.

and who said its no fun blowing up planets??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Its looks very interesting...lets hope the fancy ideals are brought to conlcusion a little bit better than with B&W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

God bless google video...

As discussed before, the most exciting thing about this is not really the game play but its effect on the Pc Games industry, could be revolutionary. A game that requires little to no artists to create content instead using the customer to be creative, and make all the objects and characters? That has never been done before, if it workd EA will notice the profit maragins.

Yes the game is not to everybodys tastes, but it will be to alot of peoples. The title "the future of content" is apt because Will wright is moving away from the hand crafted world of HL2 to the more procedural universes of Elite, I personally think that this could be a new start for PC gaming, as it uses the platforms strengths.

Offical Site
    Best Spore Website at the moment
    Procedural Universe (there is speculation that he is on the Spore Team)
    Powers of Ten Disscussed in Video
    Elite For free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

wow the early screenshots/info really didnt do justice to actually gameplay and seen wat it was going to be like

Yeah tbh I was sold on Gaming steve's Podcast, before even seeing the images.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

thanks for the links tba
    that procedural universe reminds me of infinity
    http://www.fl-tw.com/Infinity/

tba wrote:
    God bless google video...

As discussed before, the most exciting thing about this is not really the game play but its effect on the Pc Games industry, could be revolutionary. A game that requires little to no artists to create content instead using the customer to be creative, and make all the objects and characters? That has never been done before, if it workd EA will notice the profit maragins.

Yes the game is not to everybodys tastes, but it will be to alot of peoples. The title "the future of content" is apt because Will wright is moving away from the hand crafted world of HL2 to the more procedural universes of Elite, I personally think that this could be a new start for PC gaming, as it uses the platforms strengths.

Offical Site
    Best Spore Website at the moment
    Procedural Universe (there is speculation that he is on the Spore Team)
    Powers of Ten Disscussed in Video
    Elite For free

I would agree with that; the game shows more potential for me as a new concept than a game to be played.
    The idea is superb, and this type of real evolution where one decision has an effect on the world around (and the future of the game itself) has never been fully realised until now.
    I wonder how well it does get implemented though, I mean, he spoke about each world having a balanced ecosystem, so if I were to destroy one species, would that have some kind of negative effect on the ecosystem, or would it just rebalance itself? Would killing off one type of predator mean an infestation of their former prey??

I'm sure someone will take this idea and make something that appeals to me more than this game, I'll play it, I doubt for very long though.

thanks for the links tba
    that procedural universe reminds me of infinity
    http://www.fl-tw.com/Infinity/
    thats look cool

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

looks amazing. hopefully it pulls through and becomes something worthwhile.

any idea on a release? i'm assuming it'll be next gen (i.e. when ps3 peeps around)

Dosen't Say anything about a release.

And any speculation on a platform other than Pc is still simply that.

tba wrote:
    Dosen't Say anything about a release.

And any speculation on a platform other than Pc is still simply that.

i only referred to ps3 as in timescale, not that it'll be on ps3. games like that don't tend to fare out too well on consoles anyway. granted, the sims does, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

its been made by EA and they will probably try and release it on every format known to man
    last i heard it was going be out end of this year/early next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

From the video, I was concerned that this would be a MMOG, but the third paragraph in this report (a report from Gamespot on the actual video) puts my mind at rest. It does sound great, and this same report pegs a release date of "this fall", although it's nearly a year old by now, so I would think that will slip.

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    its been made by EA and they will probably try and release it on every format known to man

atari jaguar ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The interface looks simple enough, and if build mode works on the PS2 then i can't see any reason why Spore wouldn't work on a console.

It looks amazing, but it also looks as though it requires a dedication and concentration that most casual gamers couldn't be bothered with.

i only referred to ps3 as in timescale, not that it'll be on ps3. games like that don't tend to fare out too well on consoles anyway. granted, the sims does, so...
    oops my comment did sound a bit snappy...

I doubth we will see it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

There was some talk of it coming out on the Nintendo DS.

As the graphics are all procedurally generated I imagine the game would scale quite well to different hardware. It's not like they have any art assets to convert.

As the graphics are all procedurally generated I imagine the game would scale quite well to different hardware. It's not like they have any art assets to convert.

Quite possible, Will Wright has said that the DVD will contain a vast amount of premade content for players without Internet access. So removing this would reduce the media size significantly.

tba wrote:
    Quite possible, Will Wright has said that the DVD will contain a vast amount of premade content for players without Internet access. So removing this would reduce the media size significantly.

I could see it working on the DS, wifi is so easy to get onto for users (And free) so you could just grab some content from your local McD's and away you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

pure fecking genius
    i wanna buy that game now:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement